Toning cyanotype on fabric?

I have been working on a series of large cyanotype murals on fabric,

contact printing with people and objects. While I need the

inexpensive, nontoxic, simple process of the cyanotype, I want the

color of a van dyke brown print, or something similar to it. I've

tried toning the fabric with ammonia and tannic acid, with less than

satisfactory results (much staining and serious degredation of the

image quality). Has anyone found a pleasing tomer combination that

works well with fabric? I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks for the link, Ed. Perhaps the use of carbonate instead of ammonia will improve the quality. However, I'd still be interested to hear any alternatives to tannic acid.

As far as VDB is concerned, it's completely out of the question because it contains silver nitrate - I have models lying on sheets soaked in sensitizer in noonday sun. They tend to sweat. If anyone can suggest a safer option I'd love to hear it...

Greetings,

Just a suggestion...try Van Dyke sensitizer, with a thin sheet of clear acetate between the sesnsitzer coated fabric and the models. I'm sure a thin (.003") piece of mylar or acetate in a sufficient size can be located.

BTW, I just mixed Van Dyke sensitizer last night for my first forays into alt. processes.

Regards, Pete

While that is an interesting suggestion I repeat that van dyke is too cost prohibitive. I am buying upwards of 30 yards of muslin, on top of the costs to sensitize it. I would like to find an effective method of changing the color of the cyanotype without sacrificing a great deal of image quality. Can anyone help?

I have only dabbled in Cyanotypes so I have little but suggestions. Ammonia and Tannic or Gallic acid should tone brown. Black/purple comes from substituting Sodium carbonate for the Ammonia. Using only Borax should shift tones toward violet. Red tones supposedly occur if you tone in sodium carbonate, tannic acid and then return to sodium carbonate.

More web information on cyanotypes at Mike Ware's alternative process home page and at (the obvious?) www.cyanotypes.com

Your project sounds like fun. Make sure the models use lots of sunscreen.

• 8 months later...
It was a few years back, so you might have to play around with this one, and i did much smaller scale so just multiply, but it's a cheap way to turn most cyanotypes a nice warm brown...mix a teaspoon of baking soda per quart of hot water or two teaspoons per quart of cold water (the temp affects resulting color). Immerse the fabric and agitate it until it turns yellow...should only take a few minutes, if it takes longer, add more disolved baking soda. Rinse well in clean water. Then tea stain the fabric...I'd use about 10 tea bags in two cups of boiling water and steep about 10 minutes...add the fabric and stir until it turns brown...the darker the cyanotype was, the darker the brown will be. And for the record...I got this off some website back when I used it...but don't have the address anymore...so, sorry, not trying to plagerize :) best of luck

• 6 years later...