Camera Safety

bethtphotos

<p>Taking our first trip to Barcelona, & every guidebook & travel site I read talks about rampant petty crime (muggings & pickpockets). Many sites have advised against bringing expensive camera equipment. My question is this: has anyone brought their DSLRs and some lenses while traveling to the city, and what safety precautions do you recommend? How'd you carry your equipment around safely? Any positive or negative experiences shared are greatly appreciated!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Beth, I travel a lot, in fact I will be in Barcelona in a couple months. When I travel, I always take along one thing........ common sense. All tourist areas in Europe and the US have their share of pickpockets and crimes so regardless of where you are, be sensitive to your surroundings, think twice about going down alleys, and generally never travel alone, much less at night.</p>

<p>I am one of those camera freaks that carries lots of gear in a backpack. It would be impossible for someone to rip it off my back because it also attaches in front. Also, I don't stay still very long and when possible, I keep my back away from other people. When I do sit like in a restaurant, the straps of the bag are always wrapped around my chair leg and placed under the table. </p>

<p>Oh, one more thing. Never give your DSLR to a local to photograph you. They can turn and be gone in a second. Stick with tourist areas, travel in groups, and you should be fine.</p>

<p>For those who carry shoulder bags, purses, etc., it is always best to use it bandolier-style across the chest instead of sitting on a shoulder where it becomes an easy target for access. Same thing for a camera. Always keep it around the neck when out and about. Leaving a camera simply slung over a shoulder is far too tempting.</p>

<p>While in Barcelona I heard about this scam/mugging scenario from several locals: while passing a building entry or alleyway the tourist will be "accidentally" hit with a spray of noxious water/liquid by a "merchant." The merchant will approach and apologize or offer to clean the damage if you step into his "store." Don't do it! You will be at the mercy of a pickpocket or worse. Later in our trip we met a couple that had this happen to them. The wife was wearing a lot of jewelry so she was easy prey. Personally, I never had a problem. Just use common sense and stick to well traveled areas.</p>

<p>Take your camera and use comon sense. Take a look at the Lowepro Flipside 300 or 200 - it is impossible for anybody to get to that backpack, as long as you are wearing it. I love that backpack (not even for its theft deterrent function) -it is very comfortable and offers way more storage than one would expect and access to your gear is simple and quick.</p>

<p>All of the above are very good suggestions. In addition, if you are going to carry a backpack, don't carry a camera packpack. They scream expensive equipment inside and steal me. I carry a backpackers backpack with a chest strap that locks across the sturnum. If it is worn and ugly, all the better. Also, carry one camera only with one lens attached. Possibly a second lens in a coat or vest pocket. <br>

Trust your intuition, it is correct. If it looks iffy, don;t go there.<br>

Go, take lots of pictures, use common sense, be cautious, have fun, post your pics, Doug</p>

<p>When reading maps, tying shoes, etc make sure your back is against something, wall, fence pillar. Carry camera with strap wrapped around wrist. When eating at sidewalk cafes loop strap around arm of chair and then drop body through leaving the camera hanging from arm. They will need to either take the whole chair with you in it or break the arm off to get camera.<br /><br />With all of that said, don't worry. I spent a week in Barcelona (see website) a few years ago and found it to be as safe as any other city its size. I particularly liked Barri Gothic.<br /><br /></p>

<p>PacSafe (<a href="http://www.pacsafe.com">www.pacsafe.com</a>) sells a variety of bags, purses, and backpacks that have internal steel security mesh and cables built into them to discourage, if not prevent, theft. They sell a smallish looking camera bag as well. None of their products seem ideal for working photographer but could be adapted with some thought.</p>

<p>like mario said, pacsafe is a good way to go, i use their carrysafe straps instead of the straps that comes with the camera.<br>

not only are they longer so they are more confortable, but they are slashproof, so you dont have to worry bout ppl swiping your strap.<br>

you can find them on rei stores if theres one near you.</p>

<p>I would stay away from obvious tourist areas if I were you. But that's just the way I tend to travel. </p>

<p>Have a bag you can close and that you know well; be aware of your surroundings. Use a camera strap. Keep a compact digital in your pocket and if someone starts sketching you out, take a picture of them with it (not your DSLR). If they were marking you to take your camera, they'll have noticed. And they will have noticed that you took it not with what they were trying to steal but with something they'll probably miss. </p>

<p>I walk around fairly questionable areas of Atlanta and other major cities at night all the time. I've never had anyone try to steal my camera equipment, but I also always have a few dollars and cigarettes to give homeless people if it seems simplest to pay them to go away. I also leave a can of pepper spray in my camera bag all the time. This technique may not be legal or viable depending on the situation and where you're going. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Everybody:<br>

We're just back from Barcelona & I wanted to thank you all for your kind comments. I carried around my older Pentax K10d, and two lenses 1) 50mm f/1.4 lens & a telephoto lens. I wore the camera around my neck, and held it in one hand for the most part. Not once did I ever feel in danger of someone grabbing it from me, though while photographing Port Vell, a young couple approached me, asked me to photograph them with their little P&S, & then offered to take a photo of my friends & I using my camera. I simply politely declined, and that was it. I felt quite safe & secure, but kept my common sense intact, and my wits about me. Thanks for all your guidance & suggestions. Such a beautiful city, and what a wonderful experience.</p><div>00Sh0b-114241584.jpg.b732ad6c6f9d12ab1be8ea85214f1cbc.jpg</div>