Witch Hazel in Bloom

shots worth sharing

<p>Actually it's better to shoot the moon when it is not full.. you get to see details and craters much better.. that aside, that's quite a beautiful capture Dave. I might get rid of that branch in the bottom right corner.. but the rest of the photo and the dof is just superb! I was going to post a picture with my butterfly in it from a couple of days ago, but I don't dare to anymore with Peter's comment :-) </p>

<p>Yeah Dave I think part of it may be the out of focus Witch Hazel in the foreground. Adds a bit of contrast and color to the image without distracting from the bee itself (took me a while to even notice it). That and the way the branch splits the image in half, monotone on one side, which again, helps to highlight the bee. I dunno, just rambling, but great shot.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Hi there,<br>

Was just cruising around looking for info on this wonderful bush I have in my yard and came across this.<br>

Interesting to note, the Witch Hazel bush does not bloom in spring -- it blooms in October - February if you can imagine that! It is called a 'winter bloomer'. So you might have thought it was a sign of spring but the blooms likely have been there since fall.<br>

Here is a photo of mine taken October 27, 2010</p>

<div>00XZEN-294961584.jpg.2c341825b05ab89300c9fb290b37bdb0.jpg</div>