Bet This Thread Doesn't Get many Responses!

<p >Alard K. said:</p>

<p >"I dropped my Nikon FE off a cliff (well, tumbled down a rocky slope to be more precise) and it stopped working after I'd finished the roll. I've never dropped my Canon 40D from a cliff, and it still works! We can therefore conclude that Nikon FE's are infinitely more likely to drop (1/0=infinite), and therefore more likely to break than Canon 40D's. It is because they lack a proper grip."</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Douglas Adam wrote (in “The Restaurant at the End of the Universe”, book 2 of “The Hitchhiker’s guide to the Galaxy” series):</p>

<p >It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I say:</p>

<p >For a bunch of folks that clearly don’t exist, we sure have a lot of opinions and statistics!</p>

<p>Concerning failure rate, you have to take the number of samples into account. Take the Nikon D300 as an example. When it was announced in August 2007, Nikon was producing 70,000 units a month. That was soon increased to 80,000 a month. Clearly that kind of demand was only sustainable for the first few months of the D300's life cycle, but for the 15 months or so since it became available, Nikon must have sold at least 3/4 of a million D300 or so.</p>

<p>It is typical that 3 to 5% of DSLRs needs warranty repair. Just assume that there are 750,000 D300 around. A 1% failure rate would have been extremely great, but that would be 7500 failures. And if only 1% of those 7500 is reported in photo.net, 75 separate reports would have looked like a lot. Worse yet, as more cameras are sold, more new cases will surface.</p>

<p>On the other hand, you will never see a lot of reports of Nikon D3X failures. At $8000 each, at least initially, I can't imagine that Nikon is selling a whole lot of D3X bodies in the first place. That is why I think a lot of "impression" from forums such as this one is highly misleading.</p>

<p>Nikon has its share of problems. During its first year, the F5 had a lot of false battery reading problems. A friend who bought two had that same problem on both. She had to keep sending one back to Nikon for repair and after a few times, Nikon eventually gave her a new F5. The D70's Blinking Green Light of Death issue is very well known to a point that Nikon USA set up a special address to receive D70 bodies for that particular repair, and the early D200 banding issues is also widely reported.</p>

<p>I would say that "5 out of 26 Canon 5D Mark II" issue is probably an abnormaly. Unless it is a controlled study such that each camera is used under the same condition, I am not entirely sure what that tells us.</p>