Thousands of Photo.net Images Hotlinked to Amazon.com Seller Forum

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Josh , I knew you were going to ask that, and I do not have a specific example of a photo on our site and the amazon site, but in general there seems to be much crisper, with better contrast and tones in both color and B&W. I will see if I can find a exact example.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's annoying, but really, who cares?<br /> It's some lost little corner of the Internet. Nobody is making any money off these shots, so not really worth getting all worked up about IMO.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Each photographer is entitled to decide for themselves what is and is not "acceptable" regarding unauthorized use of their images. And that definition is going to be different for every photographer I am guessing. Some people would give their images away to National Geographic for free and some wouldn't let their images be downloaded on a photo student's computer for further study if they could possibly stop it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"It's annoying, but really, who cares?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ian, I complained earlier in the thead so I'll contribute to a reply. It is for reasons as stated by Josh; I'm the copyright holder, therefore I should decide to whom I grant permission to for the use of my images. It has neither to do with monetary nor artistic value. I care also because of its potential misuse. Love your work, by the way.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What's that guy's intention? I mean how does he make money or anythign else out of blindly re-posting pics from a 3rd party website?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It makes him feel like a big man and helps fill his empty empty life.</p>

<p>Seriously though, who knows? As was said earlier "Wondering why people do things is probably pointless. They do them because they can."</p>

<p>Someone needs to slap this dude with an audit. </p>

<p>That's right. I said it! Audit! </p>

<p>I bet the folks over at Amazon would love to join him in such an audit. We can get to the copyright issues after someone gets done billing the people who would do such a thing after they've been obviously and repeatedly warned not to. There have got to be half a dozen or more copies of the photo.net usage policy posted inside that thread. Probably more. I would have searched the whole thing, but I got tired of looking at those sad attempts at illustrating animals with human faces and who knows what all else.</p>

<p>I bet there would be some kind of way to charge this guy some heavy taxes for possessing intellectual property if it occurred in the right community. My community charges me tax on the photo equipment I posses because I have my little garage sale license. Payments out to a web hosting company count in those cases as "leased services". So, it seems to me that when Mr. Serene appropriates images that have some kind of commercial value associated with them, he's possessing property that has a taxable value in some communities. I'm not a lawyer, but I bet if someone pointed a lawyer and an accountant along that azimuth, towards this dude; I bet some kind of settlement, deletion, or better yet, fat billing would take place.</p>

<p>I wonder if Amazon would be liable to my state, county and local communities for revenue lost through taxes lost if someone was so naive as to post up stuff from around here for the sake of someone else's gain? Maybe we could get those sidewalks we always wanted. Just spitballing. </p>

<p>It's clear that my photos are probably not good enough for that guy's theft industry; yet, I would love to make redefining his "serenity" my new hobby. I pity the person who does this sort of thing.</p>

<p>Ego boosting is a billable service in my book. There are many examples of how people need to pay in order to have their ego stroked. Maybe we should throw darts at some figures randomly tacked up on the wall to figure out how much he should be charged for stoking his ego with someone else's stuff.</p>

<p>Okay, I may have been a little volatile in my expressions. However, I believe that such a copy-paste venture is irresponsible and ill-conceived. To continue along those lines after numerous complaints suggests a disregard for others that is discourteous and unprofessional. I still think that he should be audited and billed for the stuff he took.</p>

<p>"It's clear that my photos are probably not good enough for that guy's theft industry"</p>

<p>John, the 6 images of mine in his posts are neither top-rated nor most-viewed. In fact they are rather ordinary pictures you'd have to dig deep to get at, so my guess is that this fellow is a Pnet member familiar with gallories, forums, and contributors. He's probably just choosing nothing more than what catches his eye.</p>

<p><em>how does he make money or anythign else out of blindly re-posting pics from a 3rd party website?</em><br /><br />What he was doing with all of those images isn't any different than ripping off some movies to bring to a party in a lame, tone-deaf attempt to impress people you wish were your friends. He's damaged goods, socially, but he definitely had an agenda - and needed ammo. And as many locals on that forum were pointing out, it looks like there is some sort of dubious social currency for him in having a gargantuan posting frequency score. Us busy-bodies may have three film cans, but he's got a bulk roll.</p>

<p>I am about to go look on the site but this is it for me on this site I am afraid, this is the third time this has happened and I simply can't take a chance, back into the private folder they go until I get my new professional site up, then it is bye-bye photos on Photo.net. <br>

I will re-upload a handful with watermarks but other than that, this is totally unacceptable.</p>

<p>Daniel: Unless you're also going to display images on your own personal site with watermarks, you're not going to have your images any more protected there. If a person can see an image on their computer screen, they can run off with a copy of it. Period. There are no exceptions. One thing certainly WILL happen, though, if you pull your work down from this web site... fewer people will get to see it. Only you know if that's the right approach.</p>

<p>Daniel, I understand your sentiment. But you should be putting your watermark on all your work regardless of wether it's on this site or any other. All images can be stolen via the net. Just the fact that you can view it means your computer has already loaded it into RAM, all you have to do is tell it to keep it there.</p>

<p>The same thing happened on Flickr and I am sure just about any other site of this nature.</p>

<p>It's the attitude of the viewers. <a href="http://www.amazonsellercommunity.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=165612&start=480&tstart=0">link</a> just past half way down you will find this<br /> "<em>In my opinion, when photographers utilise the photo.net website, they have already agreed to the terms of use for those photos. That means anyone can copy these photos to anywhere as long as they agree to the terms of use. Photographers who don't agree to their terms won't use that site.<br /> <br /> The value of some photography is viewing with aesthetic appreciation. Some photographers just want to spread their work. This is one very good way of free advertising for photographers to get their names out there. Serenity is a quite a collection of photos, no doubt about it. <br /> <br /> Some people are tired of the stife on the Soapbox perpetuated by a small inbred group of people who don't offer anything substantially productive for the amount of time they spend here. Some personalities here are truly toxic. I imagine Serenity has offered some sellers a way to escape onto a high road.<br /> <br /> <strong>I don't believe anyone has stolen anything by posting these photos or that anyone profits from advertising these photos.</strong> If that were true, Amazon would have disontinued allowing these photos to be posted..</em> "</p>

<p>It's up to you as much as anyone else to keep your images safe from people like this. Admittedly removing your images from P'net does do that.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Not sure if I should be happy or sad to learn NONE of the stolen images were mine...<br />My photos must really suck.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ha! That's funny Derek but by that logic, 99.99% of all images submitted by the ~900,000 members of Photo.net must also suck... including mine. (sad face smilie removed so as not to upset Josh the smilie hater during this trying time)</p>