Selling photos and getting started

brian_bahn

<p >I would like to ask for some opinions and advice on selling photos. I have searched this and other forums for threads relating to this and as usual it seems a new thread regarding my specific situation would help me a great deal.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I have started setting up a SmugMug page to sell action shots of youth sports. My intention to start is to shoot a few friends’ kid’s teams. My friends will make the parents aware ahead of time and gauge interest. This is of course after letting the league know too of which most are involved in the league as well so I don’t foresee any problems. I want to start with just a few teams because it is just me and obviously I don’t want to overbook myself. I am not looking to make a full time income from this. Starting out getting a little side cash doing something I enjoy is enough for now.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >A few specific questions I have:</p>

<p > </p>

<ol type="1">

<li >If I solely sell photos from my SmugMug site will I need any type of contract or legal documentation with the league?</li>

<li >I would like to offer more than just straight up action shots and have seen some templates I would like to purchase and use(eventually make my own). Does anyone do that type of sales from their SmugMug type website (Photoreflect, etc)? How do you have it structured?</li>

<li >Also I intend to offer parents to buy a CD of the digital files if they would like that rather than prints. Again, how do folks offer this? By e-mail? I can’t see a third party printing site allowing that type of “side” business.</li>

<li >A lot of the threads I read here and elsewhere suggest this is a quickly dying money making source. As I said I am not looking to make a full time income. Also I think the area in which I live would support it for awhile, we tend to lag the metro areas in pretty much everything by two years or so it seems. Is anybody still doing this with success? There are a couple of sites in my area offering it but it seems team focused and more on high school level. From looking at their sites I am confident I can exceed their quality level on shots and website layout.</li>

<li >Does anybody have any examples of marketing pamphlets and/or order forms they would care to share so I could get an idea of what I’m looking at before I start laying something out.</li>

</ol>

<p > </p>

<p >Any and all comments are appreciated.</p>

<p>I started with Smugmug a little over 14 months ago. I shoot primarily local sports. Sales have helped me partially finance some new gear, but that's about it. The more you shoot, the more people will recognize you, the more people will view your photos, the more chance of other opportunities down the road. Simply put, I enjoy shooting sports as much as the kids enjoy viewing themselves in action. It's a win-win situation. Good luck and enjoy it for what it is.</p>

<p>Brian -</p>

<p>1. Yes, you should have an agreement (legal contract) with the league. It protects both you and them in case of a dispute.</p>

<p>2. A lot of photographers use different templates for magazine covers, cards, etc... or even borders. I personally don't ... I find it kind of "Hokey"</p>

<p>3. I believe that Smug-Mug and Photoreflect both allow the sale of a CD of images.</p>

<p>4. It may be dying or it may not... depends on your location and the income level of the parents and their willingness to buy photos. A lot of parents go to games with their digital cameras and a lot of them get okay shots. You have to get the great shots for them to sell. My goal is to get a shot that the average parent can't get even with the same or better camera than I use from the stands. Being on the sidelines, being familar with the sport and the action - all will help you get better shots then the best parent from the stands.</p>

<p>5. Mine is pretty simple (I assume you're thinking site sales) - Name address item, quanity and price...</p>

<p>Make sure you check with your state regarding licensing / registration requirements. Also with your local city / county etc... Most will require you to register and to charge / pay state sales tax.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>These type of questions have come up before here. Do a search and you will get a lot of information.</p>

<p>There can be numerous legal issues and problems in doing this (offering pictures for sale) if you don't have a signed release from the parents of the children or if the league does not have a release in their sign-up paperwork. I strongly suggest you contact an attorney prior to doing this. It only takes one 'grumpy' parent to ruin a good thing.</p>

<p>You may find doing the traditionial group and team shots more fruitful than the action shots.</p>