I'm a 35mm photographer who wants to acquire a 6x7 system in order to

make detailed, fine-gradation black & white prints, often of table-

top items (moderate close-ups), with some outdoor scenics and close-

ups; I'm not interested in 6x6, and I already have a 4x5. Also, I'm

not interested in a range-finder.

I know that lots of people have differing opinions, but I'm wondering

if there's any consensus as to whether Bronica or Mamiya has the

sharper lenses? Also, which specific normal-to-moderate-telephoto

lenses (for either camera) have the best reputations for sharpness.

Which are the more reliable bodies. Finally, if I'm not interested

in electronics, would an RB67 be just as good (but cheaper) than an

RZ67?

Thanks for any help.

I second the roll-film back for your 4x5. It will be much cheaper than buying a new system.

Now, if you want a somewhat compact, somewhat handholdable (6x7 SLR's are a bit bulky and heavy) camera that will give you a larger negative than 35mm, then a separate system is needed.

Luckily, each medium format system is good. And each medium format system has great lenses. And each medium format system has reliable equipment. It's all a matter of preference. Go to your local shop, and try out a Bronica GS series, a Mamiya RB/RZ67, and a Pentax 6x7. See which one suits you the best.

On a final note, if you have no interest in electronic features, an RB67 would suit you fine. However, the electronics do offer some useful features that you might miss down the road.

the previous two are definitely on the better track, I'll third that suggestion. I almost bought a pentax 67 for landscape type work, but remember that dof is a major issue with medium format. you can kiss wideangle shots with dof from a few feet to infinity goodbye with 6x7. I put a rollback on a 4x5 camera and the movements give me the dof I want, albeit? at a much slower pace. If dof is not an issue, I really liked the mamiyas I looked at, they were really nice and I've heard good things about the lenses. Pentax is nice too but you need one hell of a tripod. You can buy excellent graphlex 6x7 backs for 4x5 cameras for ~$150. why not at least give it a try first?

FWIW one advantage of the RB/RZ for tabletop work is that they have a fair amount of bellows extention built in. Coupled with one tube, you have a very flexible and easy to use close-up system with standard lenses (although the 140 macro is a great lens).

As far as Bronica or Mamiya being sharper in 6x7, I think it would be fair to say it's a toss-up -- both are very good.

Another issue may be that there is a lot of affordable used RB equipment out there, and it will be easier to rent the occasional special-use lens for an RB than for Bronica.

That said, for table-top, scenics, and close-up, your best bet is still a rollfilm back for your 4x5". You could get something nice like a multi-format back or just get a single-format back and put the money you save into lenses.

The roll film back is an option but inherits the slowness of large

format work. An Mamiya RZ Pro II, while certainly not demure in

stature, is a fairly fast camera to shoot with. The rotating back is

quick, loading is swift, and focusing is very precise with a micro

knob for minute adjustments. Speed may be of no concern to

you now, but this camera will accomidate you should you branch

out into people work. Oh, and there is an PC attachment with

some tilt and shift ability ( but no where near the control afforded

you with a large format camera). As to the Mamiya lenses

verses Bronica. I would hazard a guess that the Mamiyas' may

have the edge because there are no moving elements for

focusing ( that being done via the camera bellows focusing unit.)

No moving elements equals less compromise when designing

the optics. However I'm not familar with the Bronica counter

parts. If they do move during focusing then they most likely

are the less for it.

Thanks for all your ideas.

The rollfilm back for the 4x5 is not the answer for me, for two reasons: 1) my camera doesn't take rollfilm backs; and 2) I am looking for an option that avoids the extra time per exposure I encounter when I use my 4x5.

Sounds like the RB67/RZ67 might be the way to go.

I have used all of the above minus the Bronica. I recommend considering the P67 system, and it's the one I use for most of what you are describing. Pentax lenses are as good as any others and a few are outstanding for a steal. I am not knocking any other brands, but find the P67 very similar to 35mm SLR in concept and therefore easier to use in several applications, especially macro.