Hasselblad H3D 31

joseph_wang3

<p>My friend brought one of these and we had a chance to handle this. We fitted a flash onto it so that it could trigger other flashs in the studio. However, this thing is different from any other camera we are using, for a while we just can't manage to make it to trigger the flash on top of it. Being a user of other cameras such as Canon 5D, Contax 645 and Hasselblad 501CM, we do not find this camera friendly to use at all. We believe it has a very complicated camera-user interface.<br>

What is the opinions from others ? Do others have the same feeling, or perhaps they have a completely different view ?</p>

<p>Joseph, I rent H's for commercial digital work I do. Yes, they are quite different. It is a different workflow, but the results are well worth the effort. I'm not sure I see a real question in your post, but they are a joy to use... especially with great lighting systems like the Broncolor. It is space age compared to the Hasselblad V system (which I own). But I probably would not buy one for personal use because I just don't have a need for it. For commercial work, it's a great tool. I'm very anxious to try the Leica S system though.</p>

<p>Yes, I agree that I am bashing Hasselblad. First, they sent an artificial limit to their Scanner. I would believe this limit on the dpi was sent solely for commercial reason. If the result of the scanner is so good, less people will buy the digital camera. Second, the H3D was made less user friendly, again this is for commercial reason. Sorry, I must say, Hasselblad is setting commercial obstacles, on top of important feature like user friendliness and scanner dpi. In order to handle the H3D, I have to relearn how to use it, the camera do not behave like the others. In order to make scan on higher dpi, I have to scan the 6X6 in smaller pieces, and later on paste them in the photoshop. How anonying ! Thank you Michael for the answer.</p>

<p>Joseph, this looks like a pointless discussion to me. You haven't said what you don't like about the H3D. I have been using one happily for over 2 years so I guess it's personal preference. I have never had any problem switching between it and Leica and Sony cameras. As for scanners, I have been scanning all sorts of 120 film for years on a Flextight Photo at 3200 and have sold good sized prints from scans at 3200. If you aren't getting good results, there is a chance that your workflow is at fault. Have you sought help from your dealer?</p>

<p>Jeff, it is not a pointless discussion. All cameras I have been using triggers the flash on the top of the cameras automatically. This simple function works in all the cameras including Sony, Contax, Leica, Canon, Nikon and the Hasselblad V. Old cameras including 1953 Leica M3 works like this. You might need to connect the cord but this is the rule for more than 50 years. I really do not understand why Hasselblad has to make H3 against this rule and I have to relearn how to trigger all over again on this H3.<br>

I would believe Hasselblad is making this camera this way in order to make it into a closed system.<br>

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/photokina/H3-concerns.shtml<br>

"If you aren't getting good results, there is a chance that your workflow is at fault.'' Thank you for your comment but unfortunately I am getting good results with excellent workflow. You might be happy with 3200 dpi but I wish to have ones with higher dpi. An artificial line of 3200 dpi is limiting the scanner to extract the brilliance of film photography. It is especially true if you need to crop the image. Look at Nikon's scanner, its price is only 1/7 of my Hasselblad flextight X5 but it is doing 4000 dpi. <br>

Believe me, Hasselblad is struggling and is losing to the strong competitors like Phase one. </p>

<p>Joseph, I'm very happy with the closed system. I believe that the benefits outweigh the downside. The corrections that can be made in a closed system far outweigh the downside for me. As for the scanners, 3200 was what Imacon was doing before the merger with Hasselblad. I compared Nikon to Imacon before buying the Imacon. 3200 was fine for me and the ability of the Imacon to capture shadow detail was infinitely better than the Nikon. So I guess that is what I mean by a pointless discussion.<br>

On the flash question, I use flash triggers and an SCA adaptor equipped flash on my H3D. I don't use them often but they just work when I do. What is the problem that you are having?</p>

<p>Joseph, I understand and appreciate your frustration with Hasselblad's "Closed system." The Hasselblad gear I own is limited to the "V" series and I find it to be superb. It was, of course, made by Hasselblad and Zeiss. The H3D, of which you speak, is not. As you so accurately lament, the current "Hasselblad" line-up is designed <strong><em>NOT</em> </strong> to be backwards compatable, and to lock-out all third party digital back providers.</p>

<p>I suppose the current owners of the "Hasselblad" brand checked their crystal balls, made by Fuji no doubt, and concluded that the iconic stature which Hasselblad has enjoyed for so many decades, would support them in their transition from manufacturing fine hardware to selling software. Where is the Added Value to the Hasselblad brand? I would like to say that I wish them well, but I would be lying.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The H3 does not have an ISO flash shoe on top of the camera. It can only be used with dedicated flash units or a suitable adapter (q.v., p107ff of the H3 manual). Hasselblad cameras are about as foolproof as you can get, discounting the ingenuity of fools.</p>

<p>Being a user of other cameras such as Canon 5D, Contax 645 and Hasselblad 501CM, we do not find this camera friendly to use at all. I can only speak about the 501CM and yes it is very straight forward, set aperture, shutter speed, focus, compose, shoot. <br>

We believe it has a very complicated camera-user interface. I think the user is very straight forward, everthing is clearly labeled, i.e all Menu's items and custom options. It does take a little time to become aclimated to a new system and know how to program it, possibly use "Profiles" to save your settings. A nice shortcut to access the Custom Options is press the Menu button on top and then the User button on the rear of the hand grip and scroll the various options via the front control wheel.<br>

Second, the H3D was made less user friendly, again this is for commercial reason. Sorry, I must say, Hasselblad is setting commercial obstacles, on top of important feature like user friendliness and scanner dpi. Can you clarify, what commercial obstacles? Personally i think the H system is very user friendly, I am biased as i have been using the H cameras in one form or another since their inception in 2002.<br>

All cameras I have been using triggers the flash on the top of the cameras automatically. This simple function works in all the cameras including Sony, Contax, Leica, Canon, <a href="../medium-format-photography-forum/00SLd9" target="_blank">Nikon</a> and the Hasselblad V. The Hasselblad V does not offer a hot shoe on the prism and all H cameras including the H3DII has a hot shoe which communicates directly with the flash, provided you are using the proper SCA module.<br>

Believe me, Hasselblad is struggling and is losing to the strong competitors like Phase one. In this economic environment, all companies in almost every industry have felt the impact. That said I disagree with you regarding our standing vs. our competition. Please look at all the new products that we announced at Photokina, some are in production and shipping H3DII50, the HTS 1.5x will be shipping this month along with new versions of Phocus, 35-90mm HCD, DC adapter, H3DII60. <br>

The H3 does not have an ISO flash shoe on top of the camera. It can only be used with dedicated flash units or a suitable adapter (q.v., p107ff of the H3 manual). The H3D/H3DII does have hot shoe on the HVD90x viewfinder and if you wish to utilize a dedicated TTL flash i suggest the using the SCA3902 adapter with a Metz flash if you want full TTL-OTF capabilities. On page 110 of the manual it has a section "Separate flash unit connection and use". You can use a flash with a single pin that will connect to the large central contact on the viewfinder.<br>

Joseph, what flash are you using? have you confirmed that the flash is seated properly<br>

Paul Claesson <br>

Hasselblad USA<br>

<br /><br>

<br /></p>

<p >I am glad to see the contribution from Paul who comes from Hasselblad USA. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I had nothing unhappy with Hasselblad in the past. However, I wish to express my concern with Hasselblad right at this time of the day.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The degree of closing of the H system is worrying. Look, the Hasselblad H28mm lens is closed to Hasselblad H1 and H2 users. It is putting commercial interest right in front of user friendliness and it is not the best interest of the photographers.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Pretending making a full frame while doing 48x36 is just not good enough. I am not sure what H3DII 60 is but I would ask Hasselblad to stop this if it is still 48x36. Look at Phase one, they are doing 53.9X40.4 and they are more in the position to say full frame. If H3DII 60 is still 48X36, Hasselblad is truely struggling.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >While Hasselblad is increasing the pixel count with the H system all the time, the scanner has been static at 3200 for many years. Again, this kind of situation is like this because of commercial reasons. If Hasselblad increase the dpi for scanners it might curtails the sales of the H. So Hasselblad deliberately limited the dpi of the scanner. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I don't see the H3 very user friendly, all my other cameras can trigger the flash on top but not the H3, even my 50 year old Leica M3 can. The flash I am using is Sunpak.</p>

<p > </p>

<p>The sensor for the H3DII60 measures 53.7 x 40.2 </p>

<p> Regarding the flash: as long as the standard pin on the flash is lined up to the central pin on the HVD90x viewfinder the flash should fire. If not then there may be a problem with the viewfinder or the pin on the Sunpack. I suggest bringing the camera and flash to your dealer so they may look at it. What model of Sunpack. <br>

"I don't see the H3 very user friendly" is this specific to the flash or do you a question about setting the camera, custom options, profiles etc?<br>

Paul Claesson<br>

Hasselblad USA<br>

<br /></p>

<p>The sensor for the H3DII60 measures 53.7 x 40.2 </p>

<p> Regarding the flash: as long as the standard pin on the flash is lined up to the central pin on the HVD90x viewfinder the flash should fire. If not then there may be a problem with the viewfinder or the pin on the Sunpack. I suggest bringing the camera and flash to your dealer so they may look at it. What model of Sunpack. <br>

"I don't see the H3 very user friendly" is this specific to the flash or do you a question about setting the camera, custom options, profiles etc?<br>

Paul Claesson<br>

Hasselblad USA<br>

<br /></p>