Elmar M 50/2.8 why so expensive?

vahe_sahakian

<p>I currently use the "old" Elmar 50/2.8 which came with my IIIg, I use that lens on both LTM and my M3's.<br>

I have my eyes on the newer Elmar M 50/2.8 but anything in fine shape goes for at least $800 or more, am I being cheap if I am expecting to find one much cheaper?<br>

Is this lens a collector item?</p>

<p>Vahe </p>

<p>Ditto on the Ebay choice! I got a mint-in-box + warranty, new model version for about $425 from a reputable dealer! Fortunately for me, the auction was poorly attended. It is a stellar performer and a sweet deal. Patience in your search is warranted, but you may just find that deal given a little time!</p>

<p>About 35 years ago I got together about 35 lenses for Leica and Nikon F, and did a quick but critical comparative test on them. Four were better than any others. One was the 50mm f/2.8 Elmar. The others were the Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, the GN-Nikkor 45mm f/2.8, and the EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 enlarging lens. A couple of Summicrons and some normal Nikkor lenses weren't quite as sharp corner to corner. The classic 50mm f/3.5 Elmar was a disappointment. The Nikkor 85mm f/2.5 had a reputation for sharpness, but my example was no better than several other lenses. If others found the 50mm f/2.8 Elmar as sharp as I did, there's no wonder that they are so prized. </p>

<P>About 35 years ago I got together about 35 lenses for Leica and Nikon F, and did a quick but critical comparative test on them.  Four were better than any others.  One was the 50mm f/2.8 Elmar.  The others were the Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, the GN-Nikkor 45mm f/2.8, and the EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 enlarging lens.  A couple of Summicrons and some normal Nikkor lenses weren't quite as sharp corner to corner.  The classic 50mm f/3.5 Elmar was a disappointment.  The Nikkor 85mm f/2.5 had a reputation for sharpness, but my example was no better than several other lenses.  If others found the 50mm f/2.8 Elmar as sharp as I did, there's no wonder that they are so prized.  </P>

<p >My experience pretty much agrees with yours regarding the old 50/2.8 Elmar, I have one on my IIIg and it’s a beauty, then I started thinking that if this old lens is so good think how much better the new Elmar M is going to be, one of these days I will get one.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >There is something about Elmars that I do not see in faster lenses.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >As for older Nikkor lenses I have a F2, my 55/3.5 PC is one of the sharpest lenses by any manufacturer. I also had El-Nikkor 50/2.8, it was ok, later when I bought El-Nikkor 63/3.5, the 50 El-Nikkor was sold. The 63/3.5 “Fax” whatever that means produces prints that equal 4x5, an amazingly hi-rez optic.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Vahe</p>

<p>I read somewhere (perhaps on this site) that the 50mm Elmar-M has been discontinued, and that could be what has spiked the market. It is a terrific lens-- very small and sharp. Personally, I'd opt for the 50mm Summicron (1969 version on) over this lens if it were no more than 25% higher priced. </p>