i have an unprocessed roll in my fridge how long should i leave it out before processing??

<p>Well, I have put a many rolls straight from the fridge into the camera, (after blowing on them for a minute to dry the outside moisture) when I had no time to wait, and have had no problem with them. So I would say wait if you can, but it's not disastrous if you can't.</p>

<p>Doesn't take long. Maybe 30 minutes is good enough. I tend to process in batches, saving up several rolls of film in the fridge for marathon developing sessions. I leave 'em out for half an hour at room temperature. By the time the film is removed from the cassette (or spool with medium format) and loaded onto the reels, it's come up to room temperature very quickly.</p>

<p>Depends on moisture issues too. My fridge is a frost-free type so humidity is very low. And our household temperature is around 68-72F year round with moderately low humidity, so cold items removed from the freezer or fridge don't "sweat" much. If your ambient conditions are different, go with the longer time Bob suggests. It's fairly easy to get a rough idea of ambient conditions by pulling a can or bottle of a cold drink from the fridge and seeing how much it "sweats" at room temperature.</p>

<p>There are two main considerations: (1) condensation causing spots on the negatives; (2) reticulation.</p>

<p>The "sweat" test will give an idea of how much #1 is likely to be a factor. Wet film tends to be hard to load on plastic reels; and condensation can cause spotting, especially with medium format film where moisture can form between film and paper backing.</p>

<p>#2, reticulation, is unlikely to be a factor if normal liquid temperatures are used, around 68F. Film will quickly come to room temperature once loaded onto a reel. There isn't enough temperature gradient between the film and 68F to cause reticulation. But careless application of warm tap water rinses after 68F developer can cause reticulation.</p>

<p>Too much info, I know.</p>

<p>To each their own, but I can never understand refrigerating shot b&w film. Too much chance of sweating or moisture,no?? I always keep it in a drawer ina a regular room where its nice and dry. I even leave film for years because I might not want to bother with it and never once a problem, but refrigerate and trouble starts. Just my own personal feelings.</p>

<p>Some folks do occasionally report problems that may be related to cooling and thawing, but I haven't personally experienced any problems. I have seen what appeared to be condensation spots on the paper backing of MF film given to me by other folks, which they said had been frozen for years. But the spots didn't transfer to the film emulsion.</p>

<p>I have had film and paper go bad that was left at room temperature so I'm inclined to take my chances with refrigeration.</p>

<p>I remember way back in school I read about reticulation and wanted to try and use it creatively. So I set about to intentionally reticulate my film - I can't remember, but it was probably TMY (Tmax 400.) I put the exposed film it in the freezer overnight, then took it straight from the freezer and hit it with 75 degree developer. It didn't reticulate at all and looked normal. Just my experience. </p>

<p>If it was dry when you put it in, it will be dry (but cold) when you take it out. Condensation forms on the outside (in this case the container) of something cold brought into a warmer environment.<br>

The condensation is from moisture in the air condensing on the cooler surface, not from being in the freezer.<br>

Since you're going to get it wet for processing anyway, just give it a few minutes then load it.</p>

<p>It is quite possible to load thoroughly wet film into a metal or plastic reel. You can even load them under water. I think it is quite impossible to load film into one of those reels that are supposed to pull the film in when you work the flanges back and forth if the grooves have the slightest amount of water in them, unless you DO thoroughly wet the film.</p>