NYIP versus 4 Year degree.

michaeldaggett

<p>Certainly there is no comparison between a 4 year degree, and a certificate from NYIP, but I've found myself in a dilema that I'd appreciate advice on.<br>

I've enjoyed photograpy off and on over the past 6 years as a hobby, learning a little here and there, but never really getting any indepth knowledge. I want to learn a lot more about "how" to manually take great photographs and understand more of what I'm doing so I can get away from full auto and have fun.<br>

I have the resources to attend an online school to get a degree in photography, but I'm not sure if that is the right path. Quite frankly, I don't care about the history of the camera, and that sort of 'non applicable' type of knowledge.<br>

Because of that, and my attitude of wanting it now, I've begun to look at some 4-5 week online classes that will teach me what I think I'm looking for. However, I'd hate to fall short of my expectations, and realize all along that I should have just gone to an online school. I've been looking at the Art Institue of Pittsburg, and curious what other schools have a good online program.<br>

Any help would be appreciated. </p>

<p>I got my certificate from NYIP in February of 2001 and thought it was a very good course. Of course much of what you do as a photographer depends on what you decide to do after you finish your course. A school can't make or break you. But, I would highly recommend NYIP. It's a great way to start and a fun course.<br>

Rob Valine<br>

<a href="http://www.RobValineimages.com">www.RobValineimages.com</a><br>

<a href="http://www.MySpace.com/RobValine">www.MySpace.com/RobValine</a></p>

<p>I think it depends on your personal goals. If you are thinking about photography as a hobby then NYIP might be answer, but I would suggest looking at an adult school, night school, junior college course before NYIP. You get hands on experience with gear and an instructor. Basically you get more bang for buck.<br>

If you are looking for a career in photography, NYIP would be towards the bottom of my picks. If you are looking at commercial art, editorial or journalism then a four year program maybe the best answer. In photojournalism which is a market in complete free fall, college is almost a must. Especially for a daily paper. <br>

My personal feeling is that if you want a serious instruction in photography then you need a structured course with real deadlines. I would also recommend looking at Brooks Art Institute and Hallmark. Both institutions have good reputations.</p>

<p>I think going to a school is a great idea but does'nt mean your going to be any good at photography. You will learn technical details about cameras and developing and so much more but will it teach you how to be creative. I think that if you love photography any extra help and education is a great thing. I however dont think its a must unless your looking to work for a company that is looking for an art major photographer. I did the book and mentor method. I would however like to do some schooling now to learn more technical lighting aspects and technical composition to add to my own style.</p>

<p>I did the college route. Most people miss the point of what college does. It gives you greater knowledge base from which to build your technique and style. Photography is like music, what college does is teach you how to read and play the music. How you play and write is up to you. It gives you an effective starting place to build upon real world experience. It is not so much an ending but a beginning.</p>

<p>Hello guys<br>

Does anybody knows a good institute around Boca Raton, fl that offers classes?<br>

I checked Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale, but I don't know if anybody has anything to say about it.<br>

I would love to go the 'degree way' , I think I'm one of those people that learn way more on a classroom.<br>

Thanks<br>

Manny</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>To Mike,</p>

<p>NYI is a terrific way to get basic knowledge (it has been around successfully since the 1930's), after that, you have to decide on either a Community College with professional photography skills, of which there are a few or After that, there are 3 specialty colleges and one university that will train you competently. Brooks Inst., Art Center College of Design, School of Visual Arts (professional Division), and Southern Illinois University.</p>

<p>Lynn</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I'm currently taking the NYIP course. It is obviously not as comprehensive as a college, but it does get the concepts over in an entertaining manner, and I think will provide a good base upon which to build. I'm currently unemployed (big surprise, huh?) and can't afford a full time college course, but I CAN afford the $45.00 per month for this course. I'm currently at the half way point in the course and have already learned a great deal. This from a 52 year old man who has been shooting with SLRs, Range finders, Medium format, and TLRs since 1968! Admittedly, the first half of the course covered conecpts that I've been familiar with for years, so I shot through that part pretty fast (I've paid 3 payments a month since December in order to get to this point). In unit 4 I started picking up a lot of info that I never fully understood, and am having a lot of fun doing the photo assignments. If nothing else, this course will definately help you decide if you want to pursue photography as a vocation or not. You invest a minimum amount, learn a great deal, and if in the end you decide to move forward, you have a very solid foundation to build on and a great head start! Not bad for $1100.00!!!</p>