Portfolio Questions

louisa_edwards

<p>I need to have a portfolio put together for March 17th (part of the application process to get into a college program) and I am not sure where to start.<br>

They are asking for 12 photos ...<br>

"6 Photographic Pieces:<br>

May include photographs created with a film based camera or a digital camera. May include photographs manipulated, either by hand (ie., in the darkroom) or by computer. May include a web site that displays your photographs. May include examples of your work on CD Rom.<br>

6 Pieces of Your Choice:<br>

May include additional photographs. May include work using any other medium of your choice.<br>

Please label your artwork 1 through 12 and include a typed list that briefly describes the work and media used (ie., Photograph #1 - Digital).<br>

Evaluation Criteria:<br>

The faculty team assessing your work will be looking for, originality (copies of existing work or clip art are not acceptable), personal expression and creativity, observational and interpretive skills, competence in the use of line, tone, texture, perspective, light and shadow, evidence of understanding of colour relationships and effective applications."</p>

<p>The camera I am using is a Panasonic Lumix FZ28 (not a dSLR), I am still learning the ins and outs of it.<br>

Is it better to have them in hard copy or on a CD-Rom?<br>

If using hard copies what size should they be?<br>

Are black and white ok?<br>

How much variety should there be? (I seem to have a habit of doing macro type shots)<br>

Ahhh! I am so nervous! LOL</p>

<p>Thank you again!<br>

L.</p>

<p>What type of college program are you applying for? Is it specific to photography or another program in which photography is only one aspect of the curriculum?</p>

<p>Presumably you're interested because you already have an interest in photography. What have you enjoyed photographing so far? It's usually best to play to your current strengths and experience. You can work toward perfecting your technique on familiar subjects.</p>

<p>Don't hesitate to re-photograph subjects, people and places you've done before. Most artists of all kinds will repeat studies of favorite subjects many times throughout an era or phase of development, and sometimes throughout their entire lives.</p>

<p>So start out with the macro photos you've already done. Be ruthless. If there's room for improvement, reshoot everything in your portfolio, redo every existing shot, with the goal of improving your existing repertoire.</p>

<p>Then you'll be revved up to tackle another subject. And by then, probably sick and tired of the familiar stuff and anxious to move on!</p>