best lens for this type of picture???

shawnee_pedraza

<p>A macro lens is what you need. Most of such work is done from a tripod, with manual focus, under fairly controlled circumstances... and that means that you can get away with your choice of a large number of used lenses out there. But depending on your camera body (which Nikon are you using?), you may or may not get the metering you're looking for out of some older lenses.<br /><br />If you're thinking of things only the size of rings, you could do with a 60/2.8 Micro, or a 105. There are third party 90mm macro lenses that will also be well suited to this sort of work. <br /><br />Pay close attention to how shallow the depth of field is on the shot you mention. Working up close with a macro lens give you very little DoF. People who shoot a lot of jewelry will sometimes use a tilt-shift, or PC (perspective control, in Nikon's parlance) lense so that they can adjust where the focal plane is in such shots. Good PC macro lenses are very expensive, unfortunately. But if you don't mind exactly the look you linked to, then most any macro lens will get you going.<br /><br />Keep in mind, though: if you go with a longer focal length (say, 105mm), you could find yourself having to work from a lot farther away than you might like. If you needed to shoot an entire necklace, for example, 60mm might make for a much more workable focal length.</p>

<p>I would agree with Matt, a macro lens, or additonally, a perspective control lens. The photo has qualities that would suggest a macro lens was used, but it is a bit oversaturated and had complex lighting, and focus. I think some layering in photoshop was used to acheive the final result.</p>

<p>With my ring shots (you can see a couple in my portfolio), I use a 60mm f/2.8, however, I also shoot Canon. I'm sure that Nikon has the same/similar lens though. And as Matt was talking about the lower DOF, you can see that the bottom ring is a bit out of focus, so I would definitely say that person used a macro lens. Hope we helped! :)</p>

<p>I think photo is hard manipulated in photoshop to add out of focus zone. I not found on Exif that SB600 and 50 1.4/D are used but I desume from other exif properties (800ISO and no flash) and from shadow that are two fixed lamps, on the left end on the right. Ring or normal flash would cause a very light reflection on the diamond...</p>

<p>now, I have all of the same equipment... that doesn't mean I have the same talent.. ha ha<br>

I took the same picture on my porch with my own ring...no tripod no lights..... I should be able to get somewhat of a replica...it just seems different, I will keep trying!<br>

thanks for the help..</p><div>00SHNV-107461584.thumb.jpg.573fbb0b60f95b776567bbba2dc25ee5.jpg</div>

<p>Shawnee,</p>

<p>Getting closer. Also post processing helps. Additionally if you work with more mega pixels you can manual crop in more without losing quality. A macro is the way to go, but I think the original image was in fact what is tagged. 50mm and manual crop later to get in close.</p>

<p>Nate</p>