Are you pleased with your Nikon D700, particularly AF performance.

des adams

<p>I've been trying to research this camera and came upon this in the files here<br>

http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00RWJC<br>

I'm not trying to stir up any controversy here, quite the oppersite I really want the camera to be good particulary in terms of fast and accurate AF. What's your experiances with it and your general thoughts on the camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi, Al! </p>

<p>You ask if people here are pleased with their D700? I am. It does what it's supposed to do, and it does it well... most of the time.</p>

<p>My only "objections" to the camera stem from the fact that I'm new to digital, and also from my lack of understanding of some of the technicalities and details, despite my experience with film bodies like the F100 and the F5. First, the varying results I got from different settings in WB baffled me... but I'm working on getting what I like. Then, there was the discovery that not all of the 51 focusing points are cross-type (something I had assumed, and found to be wrong). Again, I'm learning to tell the camera what I want it to focus on.</p>

<p>Other than these two silly things (operator's responsibility, not camera's fault), I'm very happy with my D700. I think everybody should get one. The high ISO-low light performance is peerless, and that alone is very good. </p>

<p>Now, I just need to figure out the adequate amount of in-camera sharpening... But that's another project. </p>

<p>There are some people who actually prefer the D300 for AF performance, because the very same AF system is being used in a smaller frame, and thus the 51 AF sensors cover more <em>of</em> the frame. The same AF system on the D700 (and D3) is concentrated in the middle of a larger frame, which can be a bit of a hinderance in some situations. It really depends on what sort of stuff you're shooting.</p>

I recently switch to Nikon and I'm VERY happy with my move. I still own my trusty EOS 1v (45FP, film camera), but my pride is now the D3+24-70/2,8G. Excellent camera with perfect metering, accurate focus and wonderful flash exposure...HAPPY, HAPPY...,HAPPY. As a wedding photographer I use all the time the central focus point in AF-S mode( focus & recompose), and D3 does the job decently. But guess what..., with all 51fp at work, eos1v (with all 45) is faster. Conclussion ?: In theory present Nikon proAF is 10 years behind Canon pro AF. Does this bother me ? Not at all, because in practice the D3 suit my needs, and flash exposure is perfect for my work. Also you may conssider the way Nikon manage to implement AF to work in close relation with scene recognition system, white ballance and exposure...giving such beautifull results. I finally find my peace of mind beeing totally happy with D3.

I know, you're asking about D700 but I understand it share everything with D3, therefore all my coments should apply to D700.

<p>The AF performance of the D700 tracks very well. Here is a mostly full-frame sample, followed by a 100% crop. This was hand-held with the dynamic AF-point system on Continuous focus mode, taken with a screw-driver 80-200 lens. The horse is running toward the camera, in the jerky fashion horses move, I am not all that steady trying to keep the selected AF point of focus is the rider's face. I took dozens and dozens of photos like this, and got consistent focus on 95% or more of the shots.</p><div>00SGS0-107279684.thumb.jpg.37363a1af404b33d4750338e13c8fabb.jpg</div>

<p>Yes, AF performance of the D700 is excellent.<br>

My only complaint about the camera relates to the viewfinder which doesn't show exact framing. And the viewfinder housing makes the use of the 24mm PC-E unnecessarily inconvenient (still possible). I would be much happier with the camera if they dumped the sensor cleaner (reason for 95% only viewfinder) and the pop-up flash (which causes the second problem).</p>

<p>I've exposed the camera to relatively high humidity (photographed for five hours right on top of a freezing lake) and the focus selector lock has become very stiff. But I suppose it belongs to the user abuse category. The pics were worth the sacrifice.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for commenting and thanks Dan Brown for including these horse shots which seem pretty much in focus to me. This past week-end I tested a Canon 5D for a couple of days, (currently I have a canon 40D), and while the l loved the smoothness of the images from the 5D I was less impressed with the AF ... certainly it's possible to work with it but seems sluggish compared to my 40D. I'm looking at the Canon 5D2 or possibly the Nikon 700D. I take street photos and mostly shoot from the hip and am very dependant on the AF not hunting around, it needs to be instant. <br>

Paul B I found this from you less than reassuring ...<br>

"But guess what..., with all 51fp at work, eos1v (with all 45) is faster. Conclussion ?: In theory present Nikon proAF is 10 years behind Canon pro AF. Does this bother me ? Not at all, because in practice the D3 suit my needs"<br>

I really want to go FX for various reasons but if the image is out of focus I'd be better off sticking with the 40D. Couple of days from now I'm going to a shop and hope to look at the Nikon 700D there. <br>

Meantime again thanks for all your comments.</p>

<p>I wouldn't take this:<br /><br /><em> In theory present Nikon proAF is 10 years behind Canon pro AF.<br /><br /></em>into consideration without its author going to some considerable trouble to explain what he means. Because it really isn't so, in theory <em>or</em> in practice.</p>

<p>Having all 51 or 45 points active at the same time doesn't make much sense - it's basically turning the camera into a big point and shoot, and you'll never know what it'll try to do with respect to focus. Use 9-point or 21-point AF and select the region if you're shooting a moving subject that can change position a bit. This works great. Normally, for still subjects I use single-point AF.</p>

<p>It is actually Canon who is the underdog with respect to AF reliability today.</p>

<p>I bought the D700 partly because I read that the D700 includes D3-caliber autofocus. I'm coming from the Canon 5D, which made no pretense of offering first line autofocus, and don't have enough experience with other camera bodies to regard myself as a qualified judge.</p>

<p>But, FWIW, I'm very happy with the autofocus of the D700. Very pleased.</p>

<p>I've had other problems, particularly with the change from Canon to Nikon flash, as I've noted elsewhere ... but the autofocus has been a significant plus.</p>

<p>Got mine a couple of weeks ago and I like it, even though I haven't had time to play with it too much. Still trying to figure out a lot of the stuff, (coming from a film F4S) including the various auto focus variations, so I'll probably be asking a few dumb questions later on. Initiall impressions though are good, and it feels great in the hand with the MB-D10, balance is just right.</p>

<p>The AF performance of the D700 is excellent. I often use a screw drive 180/2.8 ED to shoot indoor basketball. Focus is fast and accurate, but there was a learning curve. It works best when I restrict the number of AF points. But, hey, it's low light.<br>

Anyone who claims that Nikon is 10 years behing Canon in AF performance really needs to spend time to learn to use his camera.</p>

<p>Don't need to be upset. THIS IS THE TRUTH : my EOS 1v (1999) is faster than my D3 . So what !? I'm in love with D3. It's a great camera , and fast enough ! Every picture I take so far with my D3 is perfectly exposed (not the case with my prev EOS 40D,50D ). The Canon 40D is probably the fastest camera on the market but don't have the best AF !?! Why ? You'll understand after you (to AL) buy the D700. I strongly advise you to do that ! Good luck !</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for not give me a rude answer .(not the case on Canon forum)</p>

<p>Again thanks for your further advice.</p>

<p>Paul B ... yes it's weird ... people defend the manufacturer of their cameras rather than their fellow photographers.<br>

I went to this shop and they demonstrated the D700 to me. It did indeed seem to be very fast AF. Instantainious. But I think to be able to really test the camera I need to hire it for a day which is what I intend to do next.</p>

<p>Al, you may also want to consider that the D700 has a large number of ways to tweak the AF, many more than my ancient D70 or more recently departed Pentax K10D. For example, with continuous AF I'm used to expecting just shutter-priority release, but with the D700 you can choose between three release priorities. I'm very happy with the AF of the D700 even with the "limitation" of the placement of the cross-sensors. One of my favorite ways to use AF is to turn on AF-point tracking and continuous AF -- I can engage the focus on an eye with one of the cross sensors and then recompose, watching the D700 select other AF points to keep the eye in focus. Very useful when working with thin DOF.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Don't need to be upset. THIS IS THE TRUTH : my EOS 1v (1999) is faster than my D3 . So what !?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Paul, you are mixing up opinions and facts. You are entitled to your opinions, but your opinions are not facts and truth. You are not getting much support because you haven't provided much details on how you came up with such conclusion.<br>

And one should not make such broad generalizations based on one sample of each camera.</p>

<p>I own a D300 and a D700, and I have used an additional D300 and two D3 bodies extensively. It is an AF system designed for sports and action photography. For that purpose, their Multi-CAM 3500 AF module is clearly superior to the older version on the D2X/D2H, which was already very good.<P>

On the FX frame, the problem is that the Mulit-CAM 3500's AF points are too concentrated in the center. (Unfortunately, other full-35mm-frame bodies such as the Canon 5D Mark II and Sony A900 are even worse.) The 15 cross-type AF points are all in the center so that for shooting indoor events and parties, the lack of cross-type AF points away from the center is a fairly major downside in my opinion. Sometimes you are forced back to the old-fashioned lock AF and recompose, which I prefer not to do. In that sense I prefer the D2X's AF point arrangement.</p>

<p>I don't have much experience with Canon's AF systems.</p>

Yes Shun, I'll should write " this is my truth". My last previous post on this tread follow the first one (please read both), and my "conclusion" was just a matter of speaking. I don't want to get mutch support, just want to help (and be helped). I shot almost all my life with Canon and I don't have mutch experience with Nikon but this is what I feel RIGHT NOW. I don't provide mutch details because is difficult for me to translate all that I think, in english (and I do that without a translation book). I learn my english watching TV...and maybe I do mistakes who misslead my readers and give another understanding to my words !? But I asure you, my love for photography is as bigger as yours. I apreciate you comments Shun and please feel free to correct me anytime.

"And one should not make such broad generalizations based on one sample of each camera".

You find any differences in AF speed between the two D3's you used (and / or D700). It's possible my D3 to focus slower than normal ?? I use only the central point to focus and I don't noticed differences between D300 and D3 (I think).