Canon FD 17mm 4.0 on a F1N

pensacolaphoto

<p>After getting absorbed into rangefinder photography for a few years, it felt good to pick up my trusted F1N with a 17mm 4.0 FD lens. The viewfinder added a spotmeter, which was handy for photography at a beach with white sand. I used Fuji Reala 100 negative film without any filter.<br>

Dana and Lina were having a blast running after birds at the nearly deserted beach that day. The wind was blowing and the waves were wild.<br>

The F1N feels rock solid and professional. It is heavier than some of my RF cameras. The 17mm lens appears to be very well corrected for curving lines. It looks like a rectilinear lens, but I could be wrong here.</p><div>00SG7V-107197784.JPG.321ebbeaa6142ce210dff77bcc6b6a81.JPG</div>

<p>Louis and Andy: Thanks.<br>

I use a spotmeter to get reading from the sky and from neutral colored things around me. The back of my hand is usually a good Neutral "grey" area for metering. With white sand, you want to allow some overexposure to keep the sand white in the images. </p>

<p>Thank you, Robert.<br>

I used to use wide angle lenses only with nature shots of mountains and valleys ... etc., but now I am trying to use such lenses when getting very close to people or subjects. With the lens at 1m and setting the aperture at F 11~16, you get depth of field ranging from less than 1m to infinity. It becomes like an AF P&S situation where you don't have to watch focusing but pay attention to composing.</p>

<p>Scanning and PP info, levels, curves? I think I like the 1st the best with the red building. I shot 90% of my pics with 24mm for many years, until I picked up 17. I wish they made a 17 fixed in Eos mt. My kids are probably 2-3 years older than yours, I must have a gazillion shots like "running away from birds" . Thanks</p>

<p>Thank you Ben. I don't have the Canon 20mm lens [reputed to be excellent] but I have a Vivitar 19mm 3.8 and I may soon own a Canon 19mm 3.5 FL.</p>

<p>John: I forgot about my 17mm for a few years, but now I am finally using it. The first image looks sharp and contrasty to me, with excellent color rendition.</p>

<p> Very nice shots. Isn't the 17mm great??</p>

<p> I have two of them, a banged up breechlock version, and a mint condition one.</p>

<p>What I like most about the 17mm is the very short focusing distance.</p>

<p>With the 17mm, at F22, the hyperfocal distance is 0.5m, which means that everything from half that distance (0.25m) to infinity is in focus. Those 25 cm are not from the front of the lens, but from the film plane. The camera + 17mm combination is 10 cm thick, so everything from 15 cm from the front of the lens is in focus!! This makes for truly awesome shots.</p>

<p>Try it out!!! </p>

<p>Bye, Dirk.</p><div>00SHhy-107521684.thumb.jpg.b5ee57ad9e8d445b84a36016d5648aa4.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Dirk,<br>

Yes, the DOF properties for this lens are great, as you have explained. My 17mm lens still looks mintish since I hardly used it in the past, and I take very good care of all my lenses. Your posted image proves the 15cm rule! This makes such a lens also very useful on a rangefinder camera without RF coupling since the DOF is so great that I can just use the camera/lens like a AF P&S camera. The advantage of using a RF is not having mirror vibrations, allowing slower hand held speeds to be used. 1/15 on a Canon P or Leica M3 are quite manageable, but on a Canon F1N, it could be challenging.</p>

<p>Hi Raid,</p>

<p>Just came across your pictures. While I quite like them in principle, I feel there is a certain magenta cast which drove me up the walls the last time I tried Reala. Did you ever try some slide film? I find this easier to get nice colours, in particular with a profiled scanner.<br>

As I said nothing wrong with your pictures, just the colours ...</p>

<p>Hi Joachim,<br />I have used this lens many times in the past with Fujichrome Velvia 50. The colors suggest a magenta cast, as you have said. It is most likely the effect of PS adjusting [curve] that may have tilted the colors towards magenta, but the effect is not that bad on my monitor.</p>