Nikon AF 28-70/3.5-4.5D Oil on the blades.

BelaMolnar

<p>Hi everybody there. My question is, I like to buy a cosmetically very good Nikon lens; AF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5D , but the lens blades has oil on it. The price is very attractive, I my get it for 10 or 20 dollar plus shipping. How much would be the cost to repair it, or some home made solution.? I'm an electrical and mechanical engineer, and a very good handyman, all ready repaired some very fine instruments, etc. Or! It is an-repairable, or just don't bother. Thank you for your advise.</p>

It's certainly repairable, but as others have noted good copies of this lens are not very expensive, and not hard to find. If you have to pay someone to do the repair, it will easily cost more than the purchase price of a good copy.

Repairing it yourself is an option, but you could be getting into a real jackpot if you haven't opened up an autofocus zoom before (particularly one with both a "D" encoding strip and a focal length encoding strip).

I have actually opened up this particular model (for parts, so I didn't have to worry about putting it back together). Some of the major assemblies are secured together with adhesive tape, but getting to both sides of the diaphragm could require some major disassembly. I don't remember if it's possible to remove the front and rear optical groups to get access to the diaphragm without opening up the rest of the lens. Maybe, maybe not?