Drive from LA to Las Vegas

cmulcahy

<p>Thanks Mike, I some how missed that thread. I scanned over it quickly thinking it's doubtful there would be any info already up.</p>

<p>As for what I like to photograph. If it's interesting, unusual, or beautiful I'd love to see it. I was thinking there would be some cool landscapes or nartural formations in the area? I'm from wisconsin, I've never been to Vegas before (been to LA many times) It's not often that I see mountains or desert.</p>

<p>On the old route 66 north of Victorville but befoe Barstow there's a guy called Elmer that makes bottle trees. Metal frames and an empty bottle stuck on the end of each "branch" . Weird. Hard to photograph , but characterful, as is Elmer. Its on the left of the road heading to LV.<br>

Leaving the 15 near Victorville and heading west along El Mirage Rd will bring you to Ell Mirage dry lake which can be quite evocative early in the day. Sadly it wasn't for me since it had been raining and they closed the roadway onto the dry lake because it wasn't. Wasn't dry that is. Undeterred I carried on and took a turn up the Old Airport Road? and came to a kind of aircraft scrapyard (below) . It was very early so no-one round to ask if I couls get in, but I got a few nice shots over and through the fence.</p>

<p>Don't go to Calico. Its like something at Disney. </p><div>00SF6D-106991584.thumb.jpg.b43ab2fe8802c09ed3704bbd307da17f.jpg</div>

<p>Here's a possibility: Go to Barstow. Take I 40 east to Kelbaker Road and turn left into the East Mojave National Preserve (Monument?). Kelso Dunes, Kelso Depot, Cima, Cima dome, some volcanic formations, up to Baker. Baker may still have the world's largest Thermometer. It also has the Mad Greek restaurant for good Gyros. This will get you to I 15 and the main road to Vegas. Route 66 has some interesting stuff. You might also check out Zzyzx ust off I 15 for some funky stuff. Get the AAA guide to the Mojave and Riverside county maps for some of the back roads. </p>