Reliable portable HD for photo file storage

Matthew Brennan

<p>After recommending the use of a portable HD to a fellow p.net member only a day ago - today I checked my own portable HD unit and to my horror the battery no longer takes charge...........</p>

<p>My now not so old and seemingly dead unit is a 30 Gig X's- Drive VP300 model. Next horror is that I cannot find a replacement VP 300 Lithium ion battery for love nor money. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will not find a battery replacement (very annoying - I loathe replacing 'stuff' all the time). There is a veritable plethora of units available out there.</p>

<p>What I'm after is experiences with photogrpahers who use these and have good service from thier units. I'm not really interested in the units with viewing screens - I can use my ample camera LCD screen for that. I'm particularly interested in how long the battery charge lasts without plugging into mains power. I require a unit with around 50-60 Gig or more and it must be USB 2 compatible and take CF cards. I use a Windows XP PC at home and have no laptop. </p>

<p>Any suggestions- is this sort of storage unit totally defunct nower days? I purchased the old unit back in 2004 - I expected to have my old unit work longer for me than 4/5 years.........</p>

<p>Matthew, I would do a few things before dumping your old backup. First, go to the company's website. Maybe you can get a replacement battery from them.</p>

<p>If that doesn't work, check out places like Amazon or the auction sites. Maybe all you find is an off-brand battery but that may be better than nothing.</p>

<p>If none of that works, do a Google search. I got over 200 hits when I tried it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p> Here's one of them.........</p>

<p><a href="http://www.vosonic.twmail.net/modules/Cart/description.php?II=57&UID=2009012304400466.249.73.216">http://www.vosonic.twmail.net/modules/Cart/description.php?II=57&UID=2009012304400466.249.73.216</a></p>

<p>I don't know the product but it looks like it also can be charged via USB or a mobile connection. Is this something you considered?</p>

<p>I'm looking into these new smaller laptops. Really good storage capacity, I think some have up to six hour battery life, and of course can be used for emails on the road, some limited editing, travel info, etc.<br />Prices seem to be in line with the better portable storage devices, and they're pretty packable<br>

I know you said not interested in view screen, but they do seem to have a lot of advantages over portable HDs and full size laptops</p>

<p>Bruce Margolis- many thanks for working your magic - after a genuine 35 min. of my own Googling I came up with diddly squat. My faith in electronic consumables has been partially renewed. I really have to learn how to use a search engine properly..........I do appreciate your input, thank to all others for thier input too - I have a month to rectify my lack of portable HD issue.....</p>