Best camera and notebook carrying solution for train travel

james_bowden

<p>Hi there, I'm lucky enought o have been sent on assignment to catch the trains from the UK to Hong Kong.<br>

The problem that is troubling me is how to carry my equipment and small selection of clothing for the journey. I will have a minimum of equipment to take Dig SLR (with grip) and lens attached, 2 small lens', a TLR and a notebook. The obvious choice on a normal journey would be my trusty Lowepro backpack, and a small duffle. But then comes in the question of ease of access and eye candy for thieves. The last thing I want to be doing in a busy asian train station is drop my backpack to the ground (exposing all equipment) and changing lens' But if I take a smaller shoulder bag for the camera etc, do I leave the laptop in my clothes bag to be kicked around? <br>

Does anyone know of any suitible bags (that dont SCREAM camera) that might be right for the job...or a home made version?<br>

Can't wait to leave, but this issue is troubling me! <br>

Cheers all</p>

<p>Let's be frank: Every thief within a 100ft radius will detect your big, pro-quality SLR in a matter of seconds after you bring it out, and rightly assume that you're carrying lenses, flashes etc., regardless of the bag(s).<br>

You can always put a cloth patch over the Lowe Pro logo, but nothing is going to help much beyond your being awake and aware. Things like diaper bags when you're wife-and-baby-less are a dead giveaway, and they're a pain to carry loaded.</p>

<p> When traveling on trains over rough neighborhoods in the US, I've often used a large soft/padded lunchbox to conceal a light kit, but this is not a viable solution for you.</p>

<p> Some of the Domke black satchels are somewhat nondescript, but they look like laptop cases, which is also no solution.<br>

Here's an article from WIRED on how to make your own "stealth" bag:<br>

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/11/make-it-stealth.html<br>

As usual, Think Tank has some good products (though they still look "rich") along these lines and in many sizes. Maybe if you dragged one behind your mountain bike off-road over a few miles...<br>

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_UrbnDsgs.php</p>

<p> I would carry the barest minimum possible, use a quality bag, make certain it is insured, and be very aware/conscious of my surroundings. A long trip without an assistant, using a mediocre bag, is a recipe for misery.</p>

<p> Sounds like a great shoot, James.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use the Lowepro Fastpack 250, for laptop and camera gear. There is a top pocket that can be used for the camera and a shorter lens, (in may case a 50mm, or my 18-35 f3.5-4.5 lens mounted to the camera). In this top pocket it could be a quick solution. The downside is a very heavy pack with laptop included. Not sure about the overconcern about theives, unless you'll be traveling down dark deserted streets from the train station...</p>

<p>Carry a bag and it's a dead giveaway, especially if there is an exposed camera in your hand. There are little computer locks with motion sensors and around 48" or so wire (like bicycle locks), anybody touches what you have wrapped it around and a 130db siren goes off...I think it is made by Targus. Backpacks, unless thoroughly locked can easily be aacessed while you are wearing them...one person distracts you from the front, #2 bumps into you from the side, and #3 opens fom the rear a you are trying to get your wits about you. I've seen it done, and always been apprehensive...in the end, I usually take a small rangefinder which is worn on my person and keep a 2nd lens in my pocket, preferably all under a light jacket. I understand your gear is much more extensive for this trip. On a daily basis, I use a carpenter's satchel to carry my gear...nobody gives it a second thought. In my convertible, it fits under what appears to be a wadded up prolific fast food bag.</p>

<p><< catch the trains from the UK to Hong Kong. >><br>

Wow - does this mean to go through Moscow, Beijing, etc.? Sounds adventurous. I always thought you need to fly -- at any rate, it's simpler and easier.</p>

<p>I'd say attach whatever bag with a Targus lock when you sleep.</p>

<p>Good luck - have fun,<br>

Mary</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A backpack is the easiest kind of bag to carry on a train or any public transportation. You can carry it by one strap for a short distance or two. I use the sternum strap and belt only as needed. Keep it close by in the train stations and don't doze off. If you can afford it, get a compartment on the train and keep the backpack with you on the bunk. A Pac-Safe pouch wraps around the entire bag and fastens to some immoveable object, which makes it hard to snatch and resists slashing.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...