Todays NYTimes - Obama's People

heathorchard

<p>Not sure if this belongs here or in the Digital Dark Room section of this forum but I was wondering if anybody has any insight as to how the photographer got the overall effect in these photographs. I'm wondering about the drop shadow as well as the general look. What are your thoughts about the lighting as well as the post processing. Is it heavy sharpening and saturation? High pass filter? Thanks for your responses. <br>

-Heath</p>

<p>http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/magazine/2009-inauguration-gallery/index.html</p>

<p>I can tell you one thing: James L. Jones has got some <em>really</em> blue eyes.<br /><br />Otherwise... check the catchlights in all of their eyes. Two, on a horizontal axis, apparently symmetrical, and probably about chest-high (notice that the shadows are actually projected up above the shoulders). Placed close enough (or large enough) that the shadows they cause on the backdrop behind the subjects is quite soft. The reflections don't look umbrella-ish, so softboxes, perhaps? Looks like there might also be another placed high enough overhead and feathered in a way to provide the tiniest bit of hair light, and to eat away at the shadows behind the head.</p>

<p>check out the behind the scenes slide show. Two shoot through umbrellas left and right on bron heads and a Profoto beauty dish overhead on a boom. Hidden either 1,2 or 3 heads on each side for the white out. I harbour the slight suspicion that they dropped the shadow in in Post. The subjects are very far away from the backdrop and there is no light to "punch" the shadow on the white (Please correct me if i'm wrong, i just didn't see any...)<br>

As for processing, it seems pretty straight forward, neutral to cool color and a nice punch of saturation and contrast, all shot with the Phase One back on Hasselblad H series.</p>

<p>The over head beauty dish light is a Broncolor as well, not a Profoto.</p>

<p>Icount five heads: the main light ( boverhead beauty dish); the two shoot through umbrellas; and the two back ground lights - probably just heads wit heither standard or wide angle reflectors.</p>

<p>Kandar is using big ( 4 ft x 8 ft) black gator board flats to keep the background lights off of the person and he also has one over the top of the set as well for the same reason - bounce from the ceiling.</p>

<p>Interesting that the team is using a small on-site printer to make prints with to see how the photos sequence with each other.</p>

<p>It is fairly harsh but revealing light. What he was looking for is obviously a pretty strong interaction between himself and the person being photographed</p>

<p>Rob Haggart has a little fun with the behind the scenes production shots. Rob has lots of experience as high end magazine photo editor and has just a little insight into what people are really thinking in these kinds of projects ... so enjoy !</p>

<p>http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2009/01/16/nadav-kander-and-the-ny-times-magazine-the-real-behind-the-scenes/</p>