Vertical band along edge of frame...

markminard

<p>Hi all,<br>

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why this is showing up. It happened on several frames exactly like this

so I don't think it's a processing/agitation issue. I was using the mirror lock-up mechanism, I'm wondering if that

might be the cause? This camera (Canon FT-b) was serviced just over a year ago, new foam seals, CLA, etc..

Thanks for any ideas, Mark</p>

<div>00S7UI-105267584.jpg.b5e7c421bcda36a80bca63ef09aaab45.jpg</div>

<p>Not mirror lockup. That sort of vignetting would affect the long side of the frame. Could be a shutter curtain problem, tho' I haven't owned a Canon FTbn for several years so I can't check the theory.</p>

<p>Assuming this is a full frame sample, not a crop, it's also unlikely to be a processing problem. That would affect only the upper or lower segment along the long side with typical tank and reel processing.</p>

<p>Not a light leak either, that would produce a darker edge in the negative, lighter in print/positive scan.</p>

<p>My best guess, assuming this particular pattern shows up consistently, is a shutter curtain problem. You can test it by running a test roll through every shutter speed to see where it shows up. No idea whether it's drag or bounce, perhaps someone more familiar with that model's shutter mechanism can offer a better estimate.</p>

<p>Assuming we can safely rule out exposure or processing error I'll probably move this thread to the Classic Manual Cameras forum, where you'll have a good chance of getting a better informed answer than my wild guesses.</p>

<p>Thanks Lex. I've heard that the shutter mechanism on these cameras can go bad to the point they are unrepairable. Before I send it for service I'll take your suggestion and test all of the shutter speeds..<br>

Please go ahead and move the thread. Thanks again, Mark</p><div>00S7eG-105301584.jpg.5b780323cb288edc91181ce846dda87f.jpg</div>

<p>Mark, have you checked your negatives to see if they all show up as a lighter strip along the edge? If so, then I'd also suspect a shutter curtain problem. I've used an FTb-n for 35 years and never had this sort of problem. If the CLA was done well, it certainly shouldn't have gone bad after only a year<br>

The second curtain is slowing down or bouncing back just at the end of it's travel; allowing more light to hit the film at that point. Check other shutter speeds to see if it's consistantly bad. It should be fixable, however if shutter replacement is the diagnosis, you might want to consider another FTb</p>

<p>If more light hits the film then the strip would be too light, not too dark. I had the too light problem on a Canon F-1. It was the shutter brake. An FTb would have to be in pretty bad shape to actually be unrepairable. If you would consider an overhaul I can recommend Essex Camera Service in Carlstadt, NJ.</p>

<p>I have to agree the Jeff here I think the shutter break is out of adjustment. And having the camera serviced would take care of this. If you have your camera worked on look into asking the shop to install some version of a voltage regulator so the meter will operate accurately on a 1.5V Silver Oxide cell instead of requiring a 1.35V Mercury.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your advice!<br>

Just over a year ago I sent this camera for a CLA + foam seal replacement; it seemed like they went through it thoroughly as they sent me a CD with 10 pics of it disassembled.. I'm wondering if this is something they should've caught at that time? I'd hate to spend another $150.00 and have it go bad again. Basically I need a working body for my Tokina AT-X 90mm 2.5. I'll get back in touch with ACR; they're the one's who did the CLA last year. Thanks again, Mark</p>

<p>Looks like 1st curtain bounce. Its adjustable via a screw at the back on the wind side (top off). Canon used small pieces of leather for the brake pads which sometimes wore down & caused problems. In that case, you had to remove the ctr. mech to access. Send it back to the repair shop.</p>

<p>My FTbn developed this problem, also; usually at faster shutter speeds, and not consistently. It is a curtain<br>

issue. I believe the trailing curtain is catching up to the other right at the end of its travel, cutting off exposure at the banded area. Your recent CLA should have prevented this from occurring. I suggest asking<br>

the people who serviced it if they will deal with it gratis. It is an issue that develops over the camera's life,<br>

not within a year's time.</p>

<p>Thanks again for the input everyone. I did speak with the owner of the shop that did the CLA and he insisted I send it back for repair gratis; he also said he sees this shutter curtain issue often on the FT-b, but was surprised it went out of whack so soon after the initial CLA. Hopefully another trip to the shop will take care of it.</p>