nikkormatic EL/ELW versus Nikon EL2

vincent_sebastiano

<p>Hello,<br>

I have a beautiful Nikkormat FT3 and I would like a similar aperture priority Nikon. I already have the Nikon N2000 so I'm not looking for a FE/FG. I know the Nikkormat EL's have a CDS versus the SBC meter of the EL2 buy they run less for an excellent body. Does anyone have any suggestions or have used both versions. The ELW should be newer as they weren't manufactured until 1975. Any suggestions or experiences with either. I have two AIS zooms with the rabbit ear adaptor so I can use them on either camera. The N2000 is a fine camera but I like the feel of the larger camera's.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Vince</p>

<p>Vince, I bought an EL2 last June. After putting 12 rolls of film through it, both on auto and manual, I would not hesitate to recomend one. All AI lenses will work,as well as non AI lenses,there is a button to release the AI pin on the lens mount ring. The EL2 has a better metering system than the ELW due to the spd cell , and also accepts the AW1 winder. The F3 is also worth a look.</p>

<p>The FE is a smaller and lighter later model. It should be easier to get service for an FE if you need it. The FE also has interchangeable focusing screens. If you like macro work or if you shoot with zoom lenses then a B (plain matte) or E (grid type) screen will make things easier. The B3 and E3 screens for the FM3A will fit an FE and should give you a much brighter viewfinder than an EL2 would. Using a B3 or E3 screen will rewuire som exposure compensation. There are threads on this subject here somewhere. I also use an N2020 for macro work in manual focus mode. The standard screen is OK for this purpose and there are also B and E screens available. </p>

<p>Jeff,<br>

I purchased 2 FE's and both had the shutter lock up and the film wouldn't advance. Eric Sande was kind enough to photo a copy of the bottom of his FE and show me where the lock up at the advance gear could be released. I was able to release the shutter and advance the film it but have had the problem reappear again. Since this happened on 2 otherwise excellent appearing FE's I am reluctant to purchase another one. I have had excellent results with the Nikkormat FT3 so I am leaning to the ELW or EL2. If I need a brighter finder I can always use my N2000 but I do find a heavier camera more stable with my longer zooms.</p>

<p>Vince</p>