Team and Individual Photo

susie_todd

<p>What lens should I use for a basketball team photo - to be taken outdoors? I have a fixed 50 mm or 35mm? Aperture setting 5.6? Also, to get everyone in focus should I do nine point focus for the team photo? I have a canon 50d.</p>

<p>Thank you for your help!<br>

Susie</p>

<p>f 5.6 should be fine, use whichever lens gives you best quality...outdoor doesn't matter as much since you can move back as much as you need to. Just make sure you keep the speed at least 1/250 or more. Take several since people tend to blink just at the WRONG moment. You can always cut/paste heads if you need to. I don't think it matters how many focus points you use, since they are all going to be very close together, they should all be in focus. Use a tripod if possible though.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I believe from a portrait photographer standpoint (which I am not) it is best to have the subjects in the shade. This makes the photo less vivid than if they were in direct sunlight, but then their eyes will not be squinty, and less contrast will bring out their eyes and other facial features.<br>

I would suggest using the 50mm over the 35mm just because there would be less barrel distortion.</p>