Pocket Wizards, CyberSync, or Flash Waves?

milan.ilnyckyj

<p>I want to get my flash off-camera, at a longer distance than the Canon off-camera cable will permit. Eventually, I want to get some studio strobes but, for now, I only have a Canon 430 EX II flash. Because I want to be able to use any sort of flash with the system, radio triggers seem like a better idea than the Canon infrared system.<br /> <br /> I am considering three options for flash triggers:<br /> 1) Pocket Wizards, at $240 Canadian each ($480 plus tax for a pair)<br /> 2) The Alienbees CyberSync system, at US$90 for the receiver and US$60 for the transmitter<br /> 3) A Flash Waves transmitter and receiver set for $270 Canadian<br /> <br /> Do people have personal experience with any of these? With my camera body and flash, I either need triggers that connect directly to a hotshoe or some additional hotshoe adapters.<br /> <br /> I want something that will last for decades, but I don't need the absurd range of the Pocket Wizards. The most ambitious setup I am likely to use is a bunch of strobes in a studio, or a couple of strobes outside.<br /> <br /> If either of the non-PW systems would be durable and reliable, I would rather put the difference in costs towards my lens fund.<br /> <br /> Thanks a lot for any information,<br /> <br /> Milan</p>

<p>You may want to do some searches for previous posts on the topic. Of your list items, I only know Cybersyncs since I just bought some. They work great, are reliable and customer service is fantastic. I dropped a receiver, along with my flash from about 10 feet onto brick. It wasn't smashed, but obviously damaged. Expecting to pay for repairs because it wasn't a warranty issue, I was pleasantly surprised when they said they would treat it as a warranty repair. What I got back was either the original, repaired, or a brand new one--I can't tell. And it was fast too--within a week and a half. I'm buying more soon.</p>

<p>I can't comment on the ones you've listed, I haven't used any of them.</p>

<p>Radio Poppers get confusing. You could get a JrX transmitter, and a JrX receiver or a Px receiver. The Px will give TTL if you ever get a master unit (550EX, 580EX, ST-E2, etc...) as long as you get a Px transmitter to go with it, but the Px transmitter won't work without a master (which your 430 is not) and the Px receiver won't work with studio strobes. If you get the JrX receiver you can use that with the 430 (non-TTL) or any other strobe, studio or not. If you get the JrX transmitter you can use that with either reciever (non-TTL of course) and if you ever get one of the Einstien type studio strobes you can adjust the power from the Px transmitter atop your camera.</p>

<p>http://www.radiopopper.com/docs/radiopopper_x_compatibility_guide.pdf just in case you want to be even more confused.</p>

<p>"This might be the most complex photography-related decision I have ever had to make...<br>

All I want is the ability to fire my flash when it's not on the hotshoe..."</p>

<p>Do what the vast majority of pros do and get the Pocketwizards. Then get a Sekonic flash/incident/spot meter that has the radio transmitter and works with Pocketwizards.</p>

<p>Two pocket wizards would cost about as much as my dSLR did, including the kit lens.</p>

<p>Mindful as I am of the fact that they would probably be the last radio transmitters I would ever have to buy, I am inclined to think that lesser transmitters, a light stand, bracket, and some umbrellas might be a better investment for a lesser price.</p>

<p>It doesn't have to be so complex a decision. Make a list of your priority features and match it up to the short list. None are going to be perfect.</p>

<p>There is one thing that I will mention that may or may not be important to you. That is--because many pros use Pocket Wizards, you can rent them or link into another photographer's lights, if that is of any concern to you. This is why you need to first analyze your uses and make a priority list. While the above may lean toward purchasing Pocket Wizards, it can be argued that Cybersyncs are cheaper, so you can afford to buy lots and have extras and back-ups. See what I mean? I intend to ultimately have two transmitters and 3 receivers--$390. Equivalent Pocket Wizards--$1200. So far, the Cybersyncs have been perfect.</p>

<p>As for RadioPoppers--I heard they work fairly well. The new models are too new to evaluate. Me--I have no use for ETTL. About the only feature of interest is the ability to adjust flash output remotely--but it isn't high on my priority list, and I don't own Alien Bees, so...</p>

<p>I really appreciate all the advice.</p>

<p>For now, I think I will order a CyberSync transmitter and receiver, a light stand, a shoot-through umbrella, a silver reflecting umbrella, an umbrella holding bracket, and a PC-to-hotshoe connector.</p>

<p>For under $400, that will do a lot more to expand my present setup (of just a 430 EX II flash and a Sto-Fen omnibounce) than going with the expensive Pocket Wizards would.</p>

<p>Many thanks, once again, for the information.</p>

<p>Go Cybersync best overall unit - has the best of all worlds (reliability, ability to adjust power on certian flashes, simple battery, low cost, SUPER distance)!!!, dodge the Elinchrom Skyport (though very reliable as long as your flash trigger voltage is under 50volts as many older flash units have high trigger voltage, plus the built-in lithium-ion battery will eventually die thus making your $100 receiver worthless, Pocketwizard costs too much but are 90% perfect (price is prohibitive and it doesnt do ttl nor control flash output), radio poppers are F-N awesome! For all I know the Flashwave could be a beefed up poverty wizard (gadget infinity wireless trigger)... however its design somewhat reminds me of the Cybersync (it could be a chinese clone of the cybersync - but who knows).<br>

GO CYBERSYNC!</p>

<p>I am really looking forward to getting my flash off my camera. Here are a few 'before' shots, done with the flash in the hotshoe and a reflector:</p>

<p>http://picasaweb.google.com/milan.ilnyckyj/StudioExperiments12Jan09#</p>

<p>Of course, I am now going to need to learn manual flash metering. No E-TTL cheat system to rely on...</p>

• 5 months later...
<p>I bought a set of FLASH WAVES last week, used them for a job once, and got very good results. I tested them again for a second job I had a couple of days later, and they worked fine. The day of the photo-shoot they were dead. I ended up loosing a job and buying the expensive but reliable Pocket Wizards. I heard at the store where I exchanged them, something similar happened to another photographer I met there that day. It is a shame they haven't come out with a real alternative to the expensive Pocket Wizards.</p>