Out-of-date b&w film

galileo42

<p>I am going back to b&w film photography after a long hiatus due to digital laziness, so I have this rather important stock of b&w film that's ben sitting there for a couple of years. My question is: can it become bad after two ot three years, if it has been kept either in the freezer or at least the refrigerator? And if it has been sitting on the shelf in my office like these two 100 ft reels of Tri-X ans Plus-X in their Bobinquick loaders? Thanks a lot for your advice.</p>

<p>The only thing that can happen to B&W film is fogging and, if it is a slow speed film of ISO 100 or less, this aging can be virtually stopped by freezing since freezing stops all chemical processes. I have a friend who still successfully uses 20-30 year old Pan-X (ISO 32) that's been frozen with no sign of degradation. But as the speed of the film increases freezing doesn't help as much because of cosmic rays which will fog film whether it's frozen or not (I tried using ISO 1000 film once that had been frozen for less than a year and it was just too fogged to give usable results). So with mid-range speed film or any film that's just been refrigerated or left out in the open, since aging occurs faster at higher temperatures, you just have to shoot a roll and find out.</p>

<p>Two or three years out of date is probably OK with Tri-X, especially if frozen. If at room temperature I would test it before any important pictures. During 2008 I used some Academy 200 film that was out of date in 2004 and was not refrigerated or frozen and I couldn't detect any noticible fog. It is one stop slower than Tri-X so it's not quite a fair comparison. Perhaps other posters will share their experiences with outdated Tri-X.<br>

Less of an issue with Plus-X.<br>

FWIW, outdated Tri-X, HP5+, and similar films are still bringing high prices on Ebay so people are still willing to take the risk. I've seen a few rolls of 2-3 year out of date Tri-X come within a few dollars of the price of a fresh bulk roll and in excess of the price of Arista Premium 400 (Tri-X sold under Freestyle brand.)</p>

<p>Sometimes, we can let things get a little out of date. The only way to tell, since conditions are unlikely to be the same for film with a given date, is to try it and see. I'd certainly take the advice to use it only for "fun" shots, rather than something you've got to have on record.<br>

Look at Gene M's success in pulling out images from truly ancient film.</p><div>00S4FN-104583684.JPG.f1a6b98cdbba0bd556a2ac134840ae09.JPG</div>

<p>Howdy......<br>

I was going to start a thread on old B&W and COLOR film,but you did it for me. I have been 'out of it' for quite a while. I have B&W and color film (35mm & 120) that expired in 1999 and 2000. Do you think it will give decent results (I have my doubts!) I turned in a few rolls for processing.....results to follow.<br>

Your opinions please.....<br>

Vern...</p>

<p>I want film canisters like that old kodak one, so good looking. But speaking of old film... In a Swedish art photo. mag named Motiv there was a story about an exposed roll-film bought at a flea market, developed and then dated to the early 20's (the articles' authors guess based on the bathing suits used)... It was fogged to hell and back, grainy, washed out and most of the images were ruined... But three frames were amazingly clear considering how old they must have been, and in them were four women bathing.... I wonder how long my Epson prints will last by comparison? ;)</p>