Do You Like Nikkormats?

mike_johnston2

<p>...And if so, can you tell me what kind of correction eyepiece (often called a "diopter") the Nikkormat FT3 takes?</p>

<p>I need a -2 diopter but I don't even know what kind the Nikkormats take. Is it the same kind as the F and F2 take? Does the FM/FE/FA style eyepiece fit? Do the Nikkormats have their own specific eyepieces?</p>

<p>Thanks for any help--</p>

<p>Mike</p>

<p>Eric,</p>

<p>That's great. Those are the easiest to find. (Might even still be available new; I'll have to check.)</p>

<p>Do you happen to know if are any more modern, brighter, "snappier," i.e., easier-to-focus focusing screens are available for retrofitting in the Nikkormats?</p>

<p>Mike</p>

<p>My first SLR was a black Nikkormat so I have a nostalgic feeling for them. I owned several as I moved up the Nikon food chain. The feature I liked the most being able to control the shutter speed via a ring around the lens with my left hand (I'm left handed). This always seem like the logical location I could estimate shutter speeds by the relative location of the lever. If you can find a good one the only problem I can see is that it may spoil you for when you pick up a plastic digital SLR. Thesr things were tanks!</p>

<p>Here I have used Nikkormats since 1965; FS; FT; FTn; FTn-K etc.<br /> <br /> A "stock eyepiece" of the Nikkormat has a plain piece of glass as the eyepiece window; BUT the screen is made to appear 1 meter away by the camera's built in -1 diopter system; as to the eye's focus. This means if you peer into the eyepiece with another slr's lens; it would be in focus at a 1 meter setting on the lens.<br /> <br /> Thus to use a Nikkormat with the stock eyepiece your eyes need to be able to focus on objects 1 meter away.<br /> <br /> The Pickle or confusion to some folks and eyedoctors arises because of the built in -1 diopter of the camera; it is common that a custom made lens is off by 1 diopter; the cameras internal -1 was ignored.<br /> <br /> The NAMING of the stock Nikon removeable eyepiece lens is BASED on the combo of camera and eyepiece;<br /> thus the stock parallel actual 0 power eyepiece lens is a CALLED a -1 diopter; when it is on a Nikkormat the SYSTEM is -1; ie the screen appears 1000mm away to ones eye.<br /> <br /> A boxed -2 Nikon eyepiece makes the camera a -2 system; the screen appears to be 500mm away; ie about 19 inches; the eyepiece is really a -1 diopter lens to an eyedoctor; its -1 + -1 = -2 when on the camera. One adds the diopters; -1 for the camera; -1 for the eyepiece ITS CALLED A -2 when one buys it from Nikon; one would ask an eye doctor for a -1; since he doesnt know about cameras<br /> <br /> For a nearsided old chap with -5 diopter glasses and no focusing ability with ones eyes anymore; they may need only -4 diopter glasses for watching a TV that is 1 meter away; or -4 glasses for using a NIkkormat whos screen appears 1 meter away. He could buy a Nikon -4 labeled eyepiece on ebay; or could have his eyedoctor make a -3 diopter lens; which adds to the -1 built in with the camera.<br /> <br /> If ones eyes only focus on infinity objects; one could buy a 0 diopter Nikon eyepiece. One places in on the Nikkormat and now the screens image is like it is at infinity as for focus. IF one asked an eyedoctor for a 0 diopter eyepiece; he could make one out of a microscope slide; except when its is on the Nikkormat one would have a -1 system; ie wrong . The 0 diopter Nikon eyepiece; labeled as a NIKON 0 diopter eyepiece; is really a +1 diopter lens; ie a 1000mm positive focal length lens that will form a real image; ie burn ants; start fires; expose film:) One adds the +1 to the -1 and gets a 0 diopter camera.<br /> <br /> IF you are getting a eyedoctor to custom make an eyepiece for you Nearsided right eye thats -4.5 for infinity; a swag is that its only -3.5 for watching TV; -3.5 for the Nikkormat. He would make a -2.5 diopter custom lens; ie a -400mm negative focal length lens. The one's Nikkormat with the custom -2.5 lens plus -1 in the Nikkormat add to -3.5.<br /> <br /> If one does not mention to ones eye doctor that one's camera has this built in already -1 diopter; you will get a lens that wrong; off by 1 diopter. With young eyes with alot of adaptability one still gets focus; with ancient eyes one just threw money away.<br /> <br /> On photo.net it pops up time to time that folks had an eyedoctor custom make these eyepiece; and "they were made wrong" the real wrong is the duffus photographer; who gave the eye doctor faultly inputs; thus they got the wrong lens made,<br /> <br /> I haved repeated the -1 diopter built in bias of the Nikkormat many times here ; in the hope some brain cells get activated,:)<br>

<br /> With other brands of slrs; the image of the screen may not be at 1 meter away; in cheap brands the readouts ie shutter speeds and F stops; leds; whatever may EACH be a weird different distance; OK for a teenager; pure hell for an old chap.<br>

<br /> In a pro camera like a Nikon or Nikkormat the "stuff" in the slr viewfinder is made to mostly appear at one distance; so ones eyes are not refocusing. In a goober slr the screen might be at 2 meters; the fstops at 1/2 meter; the shutter at infinity; they often just make the text bigger instead of adding cost to get them all at one focus distance.<br>

<br /> <br /> A 10 year old might have eyes with a 13 diopter range of focus.<br /> <br /> A 20 year old might have eyes with a 12 diopter range of focus.<br /> <br /> A 30 year old might have eyes with a 9 diopter range of focus.<br /> <br /> A 40 year old might have eyes with a 6 diopter range of focus.<br /> <br /> A 50 year old might have eyes with a 2 diopter range of focus.<br /> <br /> A 60 year old might have eyes with a 1.3 diopter range of focus.<br /> <br /> A 70 year old might have eyes with a 1 diopter range of focus.<br /> <br /> A 80 year old might have eyes with a 1 or less diopter range of focus.</p>

<p>Bob, I'm just using a 28/2.8 AI.</p>

<p>Kevin, beautiful! They don't make 'em like they used to...literally.</p>

<p>Kelly, thanks. I actually knew that. What I was curious about is which diopters physically fit, i.e., screwed or slipped on with no problem. But I didn't realize that different parts of a viewfinder might be at different virtual distances--that's very interesting.</p>

<p>I owned a Nikkormat briefly many years ago. I can't remember now why I sold it, except that in those days I liked to buy new cameras and I frequently had to sell the old ones to raise money to play with. I seldom shoot film any more but every now and then I have to go through the shopping process for a new film camera. It amuses me, anyway.</p>

<p>Mike</p>

<p>I have many mechanical Nikkormats and no later electronic ones. The ones I use most are a black FT2 and a chrome FT2. Both of these were overhauled. About a week ago I finally got a -2 diopter and focusing is easier. The only thing I didn't like about the Nikkormats is that the focusing screens are ot interchangeable so macro work and shooting with slower lenses is more difficult. I have two Nikon FE bodies and an N2020 to take care of the screen problem. For general work the Nikkormats are very capable and reliable cameras. </p>