Mamiya 7 or TLR for street photography?

barry_passaris

Hello, Barry;

I have all three systems: Leica M, Mamiya M 7ii, and a 50-year old Rolleiflex (Planar 3.5 75 mm lens). In my experience, the Leica is

faster, more discreet, and, most importantly, you can take 36 exposures. Mamiya 7 results are excellent, but you quickly burn up 120 film,

with only 10 shots to a roll for the 6 x 7 format. Nor is changing films in the Mamiya 7 on the street as convenient in my experience as

changing films in a Leica M. I can change films in the Leica standing up, but the Mamiya 7 is a bit more awkward because to change film,

you must open the back door, and it opens rather widely and seems somewhat vulnerable on a crowded street. Plus, medium format film

is not as quick in this respect as 35 mm. So, when changing films in the Mamiya, I tend to look for a table or place where I can sit down.

Thus, I now carry two Mamiyas and now get 20 shots before a change is really necessary. The overall operation of the Mamiya is quite

like the Leica, which is why I love both systems. The Rollei also burns through film. The viewfinder is not as bright, and focussing is not

as quick as on the rangefinders. But the results from the Rollei are more than satisfactory. Happy shooting, Charles

<p>Someone above mentioned Koni-Omega (an ancient, but excellent brand if you've never heard of it) as having made a 6x7 tlr which, indeed, they did.<br />However, I would suggest you pick up a Koni-Omega "rapid" rangefinder 6x7 with either the "normal" 90mm lens or, even better, a 65mm lens which should include a nifty optical viewfinder which fits on the camera's accessory shoe -- It's a little cumbersome in that you need to focus via the camera's rangefinder and compose & shoot via the accessory finder. However the lenses with this baby are tack sharp and you can do a lot with the huge negative.<br />If you can't find a Koni-Omega you might look around for a Mamiya Universal -- This was also a 6x7 rangefinder that's built like a tank.<br />You can pick either of these up for a song and try them out without dropping a huge bundle on even a used Mamiya 7. If you like one of them you might just keep shooting with it -- you'd be losing a lot less if an old Koni or Mamiya got damaged or stolen.<br />Having extensively used Mamiya and Rollei TLR's for 25+ years as a professional I really wouldn't recommend them for street photography-- Eye-level finders for these cameras are bulky and waist-level viewing is quite difficult -- ie. image is reversed left-to-right -- hard to follow movement -- PLUS if you're gazing downward intently at the ground glass you're much less aware of what's going on around you -- not a good thing for street shooting esp. in possibly dicey areas.</p>

<p>Great responses from everyone. Thanks for your contributions, particulary from those of you who are familiar with Leica, Mamiya 7 and TLRs.<br />I think I'm going to take the plunge with the Mamiya 7 +65mm lens (if I can find a good used deal) as your feedback suggests that it can be used similar to the Leica, to some extent anyway.<br />I'm not sure how you all shoot with the limitation of 1/500th sec. shutter speed for street photography, as I even find the Leica's 1/1000th limiting in this regard, in comparison to slrs...in terms of capturing movement vs accurate exposure of slide film vs hand holdable speeds. But I'm assuming it's just a matter of practice and trial and error.<br />Cheers.</p>

<p>The Mamiya 7 would make a great street camera, and indeed it is just an exceptional camera all around. If I weren't so happy with my Mamiya 6, (which I've owned since 1993) I'd consider a 7. I think the issue of being "invisible" to your subject isn't so much about hiding the fact that you have a camera, but is more about the effort to misdirect them subtly in the manner of an illusionist. Subtle body language can make a big difference when trying to capture a candid image. The other thing is that good street images in which the subject(s) appear completely unaware of the presence of the photographer are always hard to pull off, no matter what equipment you are using.<br>

You might want to watch this video featuring Joel Meyerowitz. He has some interesting ideas about how to increase your chances of being disregarded by the subject.<br>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dipTqJfiE4</p>

<p>I have the above mention Mamiya Universal in 6x7 and 6x9. The body is roughly 4.75 x 6.5". The distance from end of grip to end of film holder is about 9-9.5". That size might be too large for discreet street shooting.<br>

All these posts about street shooting. I might have found a great way to use my 4x4 TLR!</p>

<p>Barry, I used leica m's, hasselblad, rolleiflex tlr, konica hexar, nikon f. For me it comes down to your approach to street photography and the situation. I used the hassy to my own surprise with ease in greece and palestine because I relate easily to the people there. I chat, hang out, make eye contact, take pictures and nobody cares. MY beat ujp nikon goes to refugee camps and volatile situations. It is built as a brick (feels like one as well) and I don't mind if it dies.<br>

I like a rolleiflex tlr as well. Focusing is quite easy when you flip up the magnifier and look from waist level. You can continue to talk to your subject and maintain easy going contact because you are leasurely fiddling with the tlr as you shoot and, chat. I once was in an awkward asituatin but I wanted soem pictures. I sat with my TLR and pretended to be trying to get the camera to work while I demonstratively read the manual. I shot one roll that way.<br>

What I mean is try what you like. Practice at home endlessly, drawing yuor camera , focusing, setting exposure. SZee what you like about certain models. Borrow from friends and try, try, try.<br>

You seem to prefer a different approach where speed and stealth count. Why not a fuji ga 645? They have good optics autofocus, etc. For speed nothing beats a 35 mm autoeverything like a hexar.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>A bit late, but I am into TLR's and have used different medium format gear. Having used Leica M's and Contax Gs, they are great for street photography in 35. Going to MF is a compromise; huge enlargements but a porportionate jump in gear size. The Mamya 6/7 and Bronica RF 645 are great if you like Leica's, but pricy and I have heard from many the Mamya RF is delicate and not built to last. I can vouch, however for the quality of the old Koni-Omega's as noted here. Old, solid, fairly simple and almost bullet proof, the lenses are every bit the equal of Zeiss and will hold up very well to the Mamya 6/7. What makes them worth while is the build quality, the 6x7 larger film format and the very low used price. The 4 lenses made by Konica: 60/5.6, 90/3.5, 135/4.5 and 180/4.5 are all excellent and affordable.<br>

The automatic exposure on the Mamiya do make them faster and easier to shoot on the street, but just don't ever drop them or get them wet!</p>

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...