I spent 2 days with a Sinar !!

hurolemrecandan

<p>I spent two days with a PRO photographer who was using a Sinar and Digital Back of Phase 1.<br>

I am an amateur using a Canon 40D and trying to improve myself in the art of photography.<br>

What I saw at the screen of his laptop during the photography process really amazed me!! <br>

Do you think that it would be logical for me to spend for a large format camera and equipment though I am not thinking to do this as a Professional?<br>

OR<br>

Should I rather go for a Canon 1D MkII and simply close the subject?</p>

<p>Hurol,<br>

Do you want to do photography, or do you want to play on a computer? As a non-professional photographer, there is no reason (well, other than to blow cash) to have a digital back on a large-format camera. If you _really_ want to learn about _photography_ get yourself a used, cheap LF camera (any wooden fieldcamera or single-rail camera will do, depending on your type of photography) and a box or two of TMax100 or Ektachrome (any you like) sheet-film, and you'll be amazed. If your local community college and/or your pro friend can teach you the basics of LF photography, even better :-)<br>

Enjoy!</p>

<p>Hurol,<br>

By your own words, your friend is a PRO photographer - don't forget this. Don't confuse what you saw <em>at the screen of his laptop during the photography</em> as a reflection of the equipment. He is a PRO and what you were seeing was mostly <em>him</em>. Surely, the gear is really cool but he could impress you with just about any camera in his hands - even a 40D! As an amateur 4x5 photographer I can only recommend that you do <em>spend for a large format camera and equipment - </em>It's a very deliberately slow and relaxing (and frustrating) type of photography - almost like a ritual. I don't know how long you have been learning photography but I have been at it most of my life - badly. Eventually, I'll get better but it's the doing of photography that appeals to me as much as the gear and/or the final picture. Have fun as an amateur and life-long learner of this wonderful craft. A professional friend of mine once told me that before he became a pro he really liked photography and all the stuff about it. Not so much anymore. All to often, the best way to kill a passion is turn it into a job. Enjoy! </p>

<p>If you are an amateur with no limit on budget get the gear you crave</p>

<p>I am an amateur who has 4x5 large format, 6x9 medium format and 10D digital. After using my LF camera for several years (and some hundreds of sheets of film) I feel like I am racing against the clock sometimes trying to set up in time for changing light conditions (such as the bank of fog on a lake).</p>

<p>Now I take my 10D out first and then set up the 4x5</p>

<p>Each is best suited to a diferent (although similar) situation. If you are wealthy, only do controled situation or contemplative, work then do not bother with the digital 1D camera go for the Digital large format.</p>

<p>I seriously think you will find little wrong with obtaining a 1D and TS-E 24 , 45 and 90mm lenses and you will save money and time</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Dear Friends,<br>

Thank you for your valuable thoughts sharing with me so far. It seems that there will be no need to spend some for the LF cam and "thousands for the rest of the endless gear" (thanks Vinny). It will be better for me to go for a Canon 1Ds MIII and use it for a long time. Thank you all to enlighten me on this.</p>