Natural light question -- best way to pull this off?

dana_jill

<p>So everything I've read indicates the best time to shoot outdoors is early in the morning and late in the afternoon or early evening. I am lucky enough to be a stay at home mom and have such a passion for photography that my camera is never far from my reach. But, here's my issue. I want to go off and practice my photography while my kids are in school, and while I have a babysitter for my youngest child (9 months). My idea is to go to various parks and other scenic areas (I live in the bay area, there are alot of potentially great photographic opportunities) while my babysitter is here. My 9 month old gets cranky if we stay out too long which is why bringing her is not always a consideration. I have a babysitter three times a week between 11am and 3pm. At 3pm I have to pick up my older children from school and do the whole homework routine, dinner, etc. So that kind of puts me out of the "best time" for shooting, right? And in the early mornings I don't have any childcare for my baby. So being that I have the ability to practice shooting between 11am and 3pm, what are my options? I know this is when the sun is often so bright and not ideal for shooting... any ideas about how I can get anything out of shooting during these hours?</p>

<p>if that's the time you have, then use it. there are great shots to be had at any time of the the day (or night). The light tends to be easier to work with when the sun is lower, but that doesn't mean that there are no shots. i know the bay area pretty well and there is a lot to shoot there. San Francisco has some interesting architecture and parks (as you mentioned). if i were you i wouldn't worry about being diane arbus just yet. just go out and have some fun! if that is your goal you cannot go wrong:) </p>

<p>I'm not at all sure that the old 'saw' regarding morning and late day light, are relevant anymore.</p>

<p>Life happens ALL the time, and there are many places where shade is easily found if shade's what the image calls for.</p>

<p>Fine images are made on sun drenched beaches.....and on flooded parks too..I encourage you to go out and photograph freely and see what you tend to like for result. Regards, Bob</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks guys! I was hoping you would say something like that. Plus I just bought a Canon 5D and am anxious to get out there and shoot. I feel lucky that I have the flexibility to do what I love to do, even though my available hours are rather limited. I will in fact go for it. Thanks again...</p>

<p>The thing to avoid is harsh shadows cast on the face although even that can be used to artistic effect. Finding shade is an obvious approach, but using fill flash under full sun can produce pleasant images too.</p>

<p>Edit: The above assumes shooting closeup subjects such as people.</p>

<p>shoot shoot shoot - doesn't matter the time of day - a great photographer can learn to shoot in ANY condition - some are easier that others - One of my favorite times of the day is noon - it's harsh but great for color if you have the right settings - close to the sun going down in one of the hardest as the light is changing so fast... practice - practice - practice at home away any time... I shoot every day and every day I learn something... good luck...</p>

<p>It may not be the best time of day for landscape photography, but you can experiment with other types and make the best of the situation while you learn. How about trying your hand at photo impressionism where you shoot with a long shutter speed (set your lowest ISO and smallest aperture) while you simultaneously zoom your lens in/out, or rotate the camera, or jiggle it during the exposure? </p>

<p>Or you can buy a very affordable collapsible white translucent reflector, and use it to soften and diffuse harsh sunlight while you take macro photos of flowers. (Hold the diffuser as close as possible to whatever it is you're shooting for the softest possible light). Or try and use the harsh sunlight to your advantage and get down low and try and shoot backlit flowers with the blue sky and a starburst sun as the background. (Stop the lens down all the way to help get the sunburst effect with the sun in the frame).</p>

<p>If you have a longer lens, take it to the ocean and try and take pictures of crests of big waves experimenting with both slow and fast shutter speeds for different effects.</p>

<p>Polarizers can be particularly effective with the sun high in the sky as everything you're shooting will be at a right angle to it giving you the greatest effect. This means you can get some super saturated colours out of whatever you're shooting.</p>

<p>Wherever you end up, take mental notes as to what time of day would be good to come back and shoot again, and then go back on the weekend if you can get someone else to watch the kid. In other words, consider your outings as scouting expeditions.</p>

<p>Even if you're not getting the best light, you're still gaining experience with composition, familiarizing yourself with all the modes and controls on your camera and experimenting and growing so it's not a total write-off.</p>

<p>Cloudy days often offer some good opportunities. Even in bright light you can get great shots. Some tips: shot from shade when possible also try and keep sun to you back (actually I like it a little off to either side), use a polarizer, GND filter, get a hood for your lens and as recommended practice, practice practice.<br>

And most important have some fun, it is a hobby after all.</p>

<p>Cloudy days with holes in the clouds that let sunlight illuminate certain parts of landscapes can be beautiful. Often it takes patience to let nature light a scene just right. There are many examples here on photo.net. Overcast days provide soft, even light...all the better if there's character to the clouds...storm clouds work well for this. Architectural photography can be done about any time of day.</p>

<p>Indoor portraits and character studies, still lifes, etc. are also good options. Light the subject with window light (if it was good enough for Rembrandt...). You might have to pick a diffuser and/or a reflector to help, but they're not too much.</p>

<p>Or you could learn basic studio lighting and shoot indoors. Another option is night photography (hint: a full moon rises at sunset, earlier the day before, later the day after...it changes about 40-45 minutes per day).</p>

<p>Yet another idea is to shoot in wooded areas, maybe capturing flowers or mushrooms as shafts of sunlight hit them. Nature photography can be done in broad daylight as well (try the zoo). Nice marina (dock/wharf) or bridge scenes can be gotten on foggy/misty/rainy/overcast days. I've heard there's this suspension bridge in the Bay area...</p>

<p>You could also consider planning family vacations to allow for landscape photography. You might also try being up very early on the weekends. The best dawn and dusk light isn't around for very long...maybe around 15 minutes, with maybe 30 minutes' useful shooting, so your little one probably won't get too cranky.</p>

<p>Just scope the 'Top Rated' gallery here and you'll probably get loads of workable ideas.</p>

<p>

<p>As well as there being many photos to be captured at any hour of the day, a 5D and a fast Prime Lens will allow you to capture lots of interesting things inside and / or at night time without Flash, inconspicuously, hand held . . . you are not limited to just those hours, during daylight.<br>

<p>WW</p>

</p>

</p>

<p> </p><div>00S34N-104329584.thumb.jpg.655252498210f62fd312d6935905a8d5.jpg</div>

<p>You didn't say where in the bay area you live. If you live on the peninsula you have tons of photo opportunities any time of day. I used to live in Pacifica and would hike the coastal trails and forests in the fog. Chinatown in S.F. is full of photos waiting to be taken. I live in the midwest now and really miss the scenery, but not the crowds or expense of living in the bay area.</p>