What is in your photo bag?

betty_lowrey

<p>Wedding photographers, mind sharing your equipment list for the average wedding? Just want to see if I'm maybe packing too much or perhaps not enough.</p>

<p>MY BAG:<br>

Nikon D300 SLR<br>

Nikon D40x (backup)<br>

1 SB-800<br>

1 SB-600<br>

1 SB-200 (backup)<br>

A plethora of rechargeables and my battery charger<br>

Back up camera batteries<br>

Bounce card<br>

Tripod<br>

Lenses: Sigma 30 mm 1:1.4 prime lens, Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5-5.6, Nikkor 18-55, Nikkor 55-200<br>

Notebook & pen<br>

Business cards<br>

CASH</p>

MODERATOR NOTE: Betty Lowrey - is referenced below as "Amanda". Note made to eliminate confusion as posts below are answering an "Amanda".

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I carry less than you. I do research the whole venue before hand and create a 'loose' shooting script. Then I choose what I will need and that's it. Usually 2 bodies, and 2 lenses to be used simultaneously and a tripod. Light as required.</p>

<p>Generally I carry more gear in the car should I need it. But I rarely need any of it.....Bob</p>

<p>Amanda, I wish I would have seen this post before I commented on your last post. Based on your lens collection, the only lens that will work in a church without a flash is your 30mm f1/4. Therefore, I suggest you either rent or purchase a few more lens. Also, using your 30mm at f1/4 will be tricky. The depth of field will be reduced and part of your frame will be blurred. </p>

<p>If you are in the wedding photography business, I would get rid of most of your lens, and the Nikon D40X. Also, I would invest in a light meter, expo disc, a couple of pocket wizards, a couple of alien bees, Gary Fong Light Sphere, another Nikon D300 or D700. My philosophy is, it takes money to make money.</p>

<p>Unlike Bob, I carry a little more. My belief is, if it is in the car, it is no use to me. I can not stop a wedding to retrieve an extra flash out the car because my primary flash failed. My rule of thumb is to care at least one backup of everything in to the ceremony and set it up like I was about to use it. My backup camera has the flash attached and compact flash card formated and ready to go. My thought here is, if it is in the car and I have a failure during the ceremony, it might as well be at home.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input George. I will be saving my pennies for some new lenses. The Nikon D40x, however, as my backup has served me quite well. It has taken some beautiful shots and I am a firm believer in an expensive camera doesn't necessarily make a great photographer. It's knowing what to do with the camera in your hand. I've had more than a few scoffs from the guys at my local camera shop for continuing to use the D40x as my 2nd shooter camera, but I told them when I have a good reason to retire it...I will.</p>

<p>"I would get rid of most of your lens, and the Nikon D40X. Also, I would invest in a light meter, expo disc, a couple of pocket wizards, a couple of alien bees, Gary Fong Light Sphere..."</p>

<p>Interesting how we all prioritize differently. I could agree about getting at least one fast zoom, and perhaps a better backup body, but I wouldn't use any of the other at a wedding. What equipment to use a personal matter though.</p>

<p>I bring 2 camera bodies, 3 zooms, 2 primes, 3 flashes, 2 off camera cords, flash bracket, tripod, fisheye. Sometimes I bring a light stand.</p>

<p>I also pack somewhat light as a matter of convenience,</p>

<p>2 bodies, 3 lenses, 2, 2 flashes, plenty of CF cards, tripod, 1 diffuser and a CP filter, spare batteries and chargers.</p>

<p>I am also a firm believer in that the operator takes the good shots, not the camera, the camera helps, don't get me wrong, but put an expensive camera in the hands of someone who has no idea and the shots won't necessarily come up apples.</p>

<p>I work with a 5d with a 350d as my back-up, I know the 350d is old and has poor high iso performance, but it has pulled me out of the pooper before so I have a soft spot for it. As soon as it stops taking good shots I'll get rid of it, but like Amandas d40x it hasn't let me down before.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>2 5Ds (both on the job, no need for a cold backup)<br>

1 35 f/1.4L<br>

1 85 f/1.2L<br>

1 24-70 f/2.8L<br>

3 580EXs<br>

2 Quantum T5Ds<br>

2 Turbo 2x2 Batteries<br>

4 Pocket Wizards<br>

1 Light Stand<br>

10 4GB Sandisk Extreme III cards<br>

7 Camera Batteries<br>

16 AA Batteries<br>

Lens Cloth, Blower, Mini Gretag Mcbeth Color Card, Lots of cables and bits and pieces for flash.<br>

1 Assistant (second shooter) with her pick of my other gear.</p>

<p>All in one wheely case (lights) and one shoulder bag.</p>

<p>Optional (depends on venue):<br>

70-200 f/2.8L IS<br>

16-35 f/2.8L</p>

<p>And I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a terrible photographer, and my gear completely makes up for it. :)</p>

<p>I would add</p>

<p>sewing kit<br>

stain remover<br>

Super glue (used once to fix a broken heel on a bridesmaid)<br>

Extra pins (repair and boutonnieres )<br>

Kleenex<br>

brush/comb<br>

bobby pins<br>

asprin<br>

Tums</p>

<p> </p>

<p>1 x 1d Mk II N<br>

1 x 1ds Mk II<br>

2 x 580 EX II with Gary Fong lightspheres<br>

1 x 70-200 f/2.8 L IS<br>

1 x 24-70 f/2.8 L<br>

1 x 16-35 f/2.8 L<br>

1 x 135 f/2 L<br>

1 x 300 f/2.8 L IS<br>

1 x 1.4 X TC<br>

1 x Quantum Turbo 2x2<br>

4 x 16GB CF<br>

1 x Epson P4000<br>

I cut up a Grey Card into disks and stuck them to the front of all my lens caps.<br>

1 x Toshiba laptop I bought used off Craigslist to play a slideshow at the receiption.<br>

Business cards</p>

<p>2 x 1ds Mk III<br>

3 x 580EX II With Fongs<br>

15 f2.8<br>

16-35 f2.8<br>

24 f1.4<br>

24-70 f2.8<br>

50 f1.2<br>

70-200 f2.8<br>

85 f1.2<br>

100 f2.8 Macro<br>

200 f2.8<br>

Profoto AcuteB600R<br>

Pocket Wizards</p>

<p>The lesnes that get used most are the 50 1.2 and the 85 1.2</p>

<p>Mary Ball Pierson's post reminded me.<br>

My dressmaker friend made me up a "emergency kit" for gown disasters.</p>

<p>crochet hook - to help brides close sometimes tight dresses<br>

double- sided tape - keeps dress up and takes care of many clothing issues<br>

6 safety pins of various sizes - rips tears and buttons.<br>

small bottle of wite-out for stains<br>

superglue</p>

<p>My having this kit has gotten my some booking because it demonstrates that I care about the bridal party and I think ahead.</p>

<p>I bring just about everything with me, but compartmentalized so that I don't carry everything with me :-).<br>

<br /> <strong>Bottom compartment of my "big bag" (various other bags listed below fit inside this bag):</strong> <br /> 2 light stands<br /> 2 shoot-through umbrellas<br /> 2 super clamp mounts<br /> 4, I think, umbrella adapters<br /> at least 3 extra flash cold shoes (in addition to the ones on the umbrella adapters)<br /> bungee cords for holding random things in random places.<br /> Gaffer's tape<br>

<br /> <strong>My "lights bag":</strong> <br /> 2 Nikon SB28's<br /> 3 SB800's (2 of which are used during the event)<br /> 2 Sunpak 120J's<br /> my ebay "poverty wizard" remote trigger system - 3 transmitters, 5 receivers<br /> light/flash meter<br>

<br /> <strong>My "camera bag"</strong> <br /> D300<br /> D200<br /> Some of my AA batteries<br>

<br /> <strong>My "event bag" - the one I actually use</strong> <br /> 3 zooms (12-24 f4, 17-50 2.8, 50-150 2.8)<br /> 3 primes (30 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.4)<br /> Hoodman LCD loupe<br /> Most of my AA batteries<br /> Memory cards<br /> My "misc" bag<br /> sewing kit, scotch tape, masking tape. I hadn't thought of glue but will put some in there.<br>

So the cameras, with flahes, come out of the camera bag and stay on me. Only the lenses are in the bag I carry while shooting. All the other bags stay in the "big bag" and get hidden somewhere, locked to something.</p>

<p>I like the idea of carrying cash...never thought of that. I had a scare this summer, when we pulled into the reception venue and found that there was a parking/admission fee. I open the wallet, nothing there...not a dollar. Luckily my partner had cash. The other item I don't see mentioned is lots of water, and peanut butter and jelly sandwichs. Crunchy peanut butter, strawberry jelly on wheat bread...any other pbj combination is completely unacceptable and wrong.</p>

<p>Paul, in regards to parking, I once swung around the corner to shoot at the hair salon, hooked it into a car park, only to realise that once I had parked it was a private car park with Electronic Gate, so before I left the hair salon I had to find a resident and get them to let me out of the car park... It was mildly embarrassing, I see the funny side of it now, but if I had have been stuck there it could've been quite disastrous.</p>

<p>Also, I'm a big one for heaps of water and food, I hate getting the hunger head / stomach aches whilst you've still got half a days shooting left and no time to get something between ceremony & reception.</p>

<p>James</p>

<p>In a Think Tank Airport Antidote v2.0:<br /> Nikon D300 with MB-D10, 17-55mm f2.8 attached (sometimes I'll switch it out with the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR)<br /> Sigma 30mm f1.4<br /> Sigma 50mm f1.4<br /> Nikon 85mm f1.4<br /> Nikon 10.5 fisheye<br /> SB800 flash, (SB600 for back up)<br /> Gary Fong Lightsphere II<br /> 2 Pocketwizards<br /> extra battery pack for MB-D10, AA's for flash, several CF cards.<br /> If I'm away off campus, I'll carry a D200 body for backup.<br>

a tie (just in case!) and a hat (protection from the sun)</p>

<p>Depends on the assignment, but it's similar to my gear for work as a newspaper staff photog.</p>

<p>Nikon D2X, D700, F100<br>

Nikon 20-35, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 60 AF-S, 70-200, 135 f/2<br>

Nikon SB-800's<br>

Domke F-2b, Think Tank Speed Demon<br>

Sandisk Extreme III 8gb's<br>

T-Max 400 (b/w), Kodak Portra (color)<br>

Stroboframe Pro-T flash bracket</p>

<p>Depends on the assignment, but it's similar to my gear for work as a newspaper staff photog.</p>

<p>Current:<br>

Nikon D2X, D700, F100<br>

Nikon SB-800's<br>

<p>Used to Carry: <br>

Nikon D2H, D70s<br>

Nikon 17-55, 10.5 fisheye<br>

Canon 5D with a 24-105</p>

<p>Current:<br>

Nikon D2X, D700, F100<br>

Nikon SB-800's<br>

<p>Used to Carry: <br>

Nikon D2H, D70s<br>

Nikon 17-55, 10.5 fisheye<br>

Canon 5D with a 24-105</p>

<p>I bring my Lowepro trekker with<br>

D700 @ D200<br>

SB 800 and 600<br>

24-70, 18-200, 50, 70-300, 17-35<br>

1.4X extender, 2 light stands<br>

I use:<br>

D700 + 24-70 80%<br>

D200 + 18-200 20% mostly at reception and speeches. It Just saves me from moving around as much.<br>

For mobility the SB 800 goes on the camera<br>

At the party, dancing, bouquet throwing part of the wedding I put the flashes on light stands to light the room and use the clip on diffusers.</p>

<p>Bill</p>