Equipment Obsessed?

<p>It is just you. For as long as I can remember photographers have always been obsessed with equipment. You just read more about it now because more information is available to you faster.<br>

Photography is about taking pictures. Photographic equipment is the tool for photographer to use. The better the tool the better the image.<br>

Can an artist paint without a paint brush? Can a photographer create a beautiful image without a camera? </p>

<p>I am a gadget freak. I like cameras, watches, computers, telescopes, tools, cars, guns, knives, sound equipment, you name it. I love using good quality tools for a job, and sometimes the pleasure of using the tools out-weighs the the doing of the job.<br>

So, yes, I'm sometimes equipment-obsessed. I have tools that are capable beyond my abilities - things that are capabable of accuracy beyond my (current) skills. The good part is that I know where to put the blame when the results do not meet my desires. I rarely wonder what the limiting factor is.<br>

Besides, it's just more fun to use something well-designed and well-built.</p>

<p>There's alot of mediocre photographers out there using outstanding top of the line equipment and there are outstanding photographers out there using mediocre or nomimal & basic equipment. So you have to ask yourself are you truly a photographer trying to hone your skills or just a gadget junkie always looking to purchase the next best latest and greatest toy. Great pictures come from the heart and the soul not expensive equipment. Which one are you?</p>

<p>Nothing new, Joseph. Only the equipment names change. Not everyone plays the game. Stop by the classic manual camera forum sometimes and see photographers making beautiful images with simple box cameras. The truth is many people can't seem (or don't want) to understand that it's the six inches behind the camera that count, not the camera itself. </p>

<p>I saw a beautiful short film made on Cuban photographers who had only the basics. If you have any idea what cars the rich in Cuba are driving around, you'll get my drift. It is not so much the tool as the ability to use what is available. Joseph, you should witness the video enthusiasts. HD TV is now standard for a lot of production. A lot the equipment for post production is out-of-this world expensive, as well. I very much wonder if the tricky clip fades, explosion depth sounds are of any substance. Aristotle wouldn't think so, classifying them as "spectacle." </p>

<p>People spend way too much time on their equipment and not enough on their photography.<br>

<br /> I spent two days with a very successful photographer in something of a "mentoring" situation. We discussed every photo in his Aperture monograph and went through my portfolio pretty carefully. The only equipment comment he made was when he took his camera out to snap some people kissing in the window of the coffee shop we were in, when he said, "This is my camera and the lens I use most of the time."</p>

<p>My mentor for many years, a landscape photographer who shoots nothing like what I shoot, rarely brought up equipment, preferring to discuss photography. When he did bring up equipment, it was usually about printers or to complain about the quality of his Noblexes. He never mentioned equipment with respect to my photography, preferring to discuss things like how I was putting things together, where my portfolio showed deficiencies, what types of subjects I might find that were suitable for my style.</p>

<p>Contrary to what is implied above, artists rarely bring up their brushes when they talk about their painting, unless they had one that shed bristles. They usually discuss their feelings about what they are doing, or the difficulty of getting something done. When I was married to an artist, she spent most of her "tools time" worrying about toxic effects of the chemicals she used. When she changed "tools," it wasn't something she talked about.</p>

<p>Most people here would benefit far more from picking up a few good monographs and a couple books on the history of photography than from worrying about which lens is better. It only makes a difference in fairly specific applications, especially for beginning photographers who get way too much advice here on what to buy.</p>

<p>There is no question that amateur photographers are very gear centered, but if you ever attend a PPOC, or a PPA convention you will find very few...and often <strong>NO</strong> , seminars on gear.</p>

<p>Compare the gear posts on any forum with the art or commercial posts. "Gear" posts are hugely ahead. </p>

<p>I echo everything that Jeff has said above. If we had a forum on photo education it would starve. But everyone knows to the littlest screw, or red line, what the newest offerings are in gear.....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes it is very noble to talk about the artist and not the paint brush and I know exactly how to post the answer that Jeff and Bob so eloquently put forth. Unfortunately no one really wants to belittled themselves and consider the practical side of photography. <br>

Why are there no equipment discussion amount professional photographers? Why aren't there any discussion between great painters about what paint brush to use. Why aren't those Cuban photographers use better cameras?<br>

I believe we are so brain washed in this society about certain things we tend to ignore the big pictures.<br>

Take a look at the top professional photographs. They don't talk about their gear is because they are probably sponsored by Nikon or Canon. I look at all those professionals that shoot in a wedding. The good ones are all using Nikon D3s, Canon 1DsMk3. Nowadays the market is so crowded and the competition is so fierce that you cannot afford to be using a lesser Cuban equipment and expect to get any business. We all love to quote the exceptions instead of the norm. So and so used a nailed together show box to take wonderful pictures! Sure those are the so and so that are the exceptions and not the norm. So and so probably die penniless. Look at all the fashion shoots. What do they use? A Canon XSi? No, these guys are using Hasselblad that cost more than my house.<br>

That's why they are professionals. They are the best artist and use the best tools. Why aren't those professionals talking equipment to each other. Because they don't have to. They have the best. Equipment at that point is pointless. It is just a tool but a very good tool. So they talk about the photograph.<br>

When I meet up with another pro I don't ask them what they use. That is call professional courtesy. You know they can do their job with what ever tools they have. They most likely have what they think is the best.<br>

Same thing with brushes. Do you think an artists will use a donkey hair brush from China when they can use a camel hair brush from Afghanistan? I have no clue but the brush at that level is secondary. It is a necessity.<br>

So let us not belittle the amateur and think that it is a bad thing to talk about equipment. It is not. Is the photography more important than the equipment? Sure. Give an amateur the same set of golf clubs Tiger Woods is using and see if the amateur golfer can do as well. Of course not. That is simply the obvious.<br>

Can an amateur benefit from a Hasselblad? Probably not. Unless they know how to use it.<br>

So the real answer is that we have to reflect within ourselves, open our eyes and stop being so selfish. Look around this great big world. There are many answers to many things. Don't knock the answers because it sounded contrary to what you want to hear.</p>

<p>I've never seen a study, but I'd bet a month's pay (easy to do because I'm retired) that there is a positive correlation between "professional" and "great artistry" / "great photographs" (we've got to make this plural because "best artist" is one person, and that one person simply does not exist). I base this on the magazines and books I read that have some connection to photography, and on images that I see posted by all kinds of photographers on various web sites. I don't believe the correlation between professional / non-professional and great artistry/photography is purely random. Also note that there will always be scatter around the correlation line as well as outliers on either end.</p>

<p>>>> Is it just me or has the modern photographer become equipment-obsessed? </p>

<p>Certainly true with respect to online forums. The notion that skill and great results can simply be acquired through the use of a credit card is appealing to many. </p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Hansen ...... you said,<em> "<strong>So let us not belittle the amateur and think that it is a bad thing to talk about equipment"</strong> </em></p>

<p>I agree to a point. I was an amateur years ago.....but there comes a time where the amateur has to grow up some if he/she is to grow and produce as a photographer. No one develops personal style, insights, design goals, etc.......by being obsessed by the gear they have. Or want. Or are talked into by other, perhaps well meaning, people.</p>

<p>So, no. It's a <strong>good</strong> thing for a photographer to talk about equipment.....<strong>To a point</strong> . Beyond that point it becomes a drag on his/her abilities and opportunities to real growth. Regards, Bob</p>

<p>Yes Bob, the best thing for a photographer to learn and to grow is to go out there and create photographs. No one will get better sitting in front of the computer talking about what is a better piece of equipment or the philosophy of photography.<br>

The point I am trying to make is that we should not discourage amateur (myself included) to upgrade their equipment to something that is at least capable of creating a beautiful image. There is absolutely no reason to limit oneself just because we think that equipment obsession is a bad thing. <br>

I believe in being flexible in thinking and creativity with open mindedness. If Ansel Adams did not bring us his bell peppers in decent focus we will probably not praise him as much right now. There are certain minimal technical standards that we need to achieve in photography before the artistic aspect can be appreciated. Again there are exceptions to the rule and there are some images created by pinhole cameras that are acceptable. Unfortunately that remains a rare exception. I have also seen gorgeous images created by an Apple iPhone. Again those are the exceptions. <br>

I am very sure that even the early pioneers in photography desire, obsessed over equipment. If the norm of the day is to expose the silver plate for 30 seconds to get a decent image and some one has a camera that can cut the exposure down to 15 seconds. Do you not think that most photographer would want to obtain/obsess over one of those new toy?<br>

So yes it is a good thing to talk about photography amongst fellow artists. It is a good thing to talk about photography equipment amongst equipment geeks. It is a good thing to discuss post processing software amongst software nerds. Everything is wonderful if we all take them in moderation and not stay on the extreme edge.</p>

<p>Photography is an equipment dependent art. But I fully agree that most people spend way too much time talking about equipment and way too little using them and talking about light composition etc. Early pioneers were pretty equipment centric as well, often building and developing their own cameras. And Ansel Adams even wrote a book just about 'the Camera'.</p>

<p >As far back as I can remember most people were obsessed with equipment. Whether it was HiFi, Cars, Sports, Computers, Photography…. you name it! The fact is that most people much more enjoy the process of planning and preparation than the actual action. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >The fact is better equipment DOES increase your performance. To a small extent of course, but enough to give the person a false feeling that he is closing the distance between him and the pro / artist / whatever and all this with minimum effort. This satisfaction lasts only until the moment he actually gets the gear he wants and then usually the fun is over.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I think it’s totally useless discussing these things or even better trying to convince someone he should get off his butt and actually do something.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Everyone has his own Karma. </p>

<p>Some people have more money than sense. Not much you can do about that, but you also don't have to take them seriously.</p>

<p>It's like watching people who buy collectible Corvettes and can't change gears.</p>

<p>A professional is just someone who makes a living performing a particular occupation. In the case of a photographer, one can work in a wide range of categories. Many of which will never produce anything approaching what some choose to call art. Yet these photographers are all professionals none the less.</p>

<p>It isn't wise to equate professionalism with artist purpose or intent. The original question was about gear heads. The answer as far as I can determine from the many forum posts I read is YES.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A professional is one who is making a living at it, is technically near perfect, up to date on the latest techniques, is skilled at marketing himself, (sorry to use the default pronoun) and who performs a service. All the artist does is produce something we can't live without. I suspect he sees things the rest of us can only see through his eyes. I do not see them as exclusionary. (hope it's worth 2 cents)</p>

<p>Heck I use 10-35 year old photo gear (Oly OM system) and I still have a long list of lenses I'd like to get some day. It doesn't help that I really got in to photography not quite 3 years ago. That being said I don't feel like my equipment is keeping me from taking good pictures...maybe just a few pictures I'd like to take and can't with my current gear, or that is much harder with my current gear (who wouldn't want a 500/4.5 for wildlife photography instead of their 400/5.6). I certainly don't feel like I need the latest greatest thing.</p>