Thoughts on using the D40?

k.andy_photos

<p>I have decided that I would like to have a back up camera just in case my d200 breaks on me. I do not have enough money at this time to invest in a very expensive camera, but it would be nice to know that if something happens to my d200, I would be okay with a backup. I was thinking of purchasing the d40. Thoughts on this? Or do you have other suggestions as to what might be a cheap yet dependable and good quality backup? Also, it would be nice to have a camera that can use the same lenses as my d200, any advice that you could give me would be great.</p>

<p>You can get a barely-used, excellent condition D200 for around $500. That means not only being able to use the same lenses, but also the same memory cards, the exact same controls and menu configurations, output files that will look and act exactly like you're used to, identical batteries, and shared accessories (like the vertical grip). Yeah, that's a couple hundred or so more than a D40, but it's a much better backup solution, I think.<br /><br />Unless you WANT a D40 (or D40x) as a backup because it will also serve as a smaller, more portable camera for when you want that sort of thing.</p>

<p>Matt's suggestion is certainly valid if you'd like to double up on what you already have, but the D40 is really a remarkable little camera. I have a D2x along with a D40, and prefer the D40 for casual flash photos and any time post-processing isn't part of the plan. The "out-of-camera" files look great.</p>

<p>I use a D40x as a backup to my D200 all the time, and have no problems whatsoever and i am not gentle with either, a lot of sports shooting. I actually bought the D40x when i jumped into digital and figured i might as well keep it instead of trying to get rid of it. I just wish that my AI'd and AIS lenses worked on it. Actually my wife has started to use it, so maybe i'll try and pawn it off to her and get another D200 or D300. Hmmmm, not a bad idea at all, but there is some nice glass calling my name. Decisions.....decisions. </p>

<p>The D40 is an excellent value as of now (it's probably the cheapest new DSLR on the market).</p>

<p>>> "cheap yet dependable and good quality backup"</p>

<p>That's exactly what it is (although you should probably avoid using it continuously when it's raining heavily); and you can always use the D200 when the advanced features are needed (weather sealings, dedicated direct control, metal body, AF with non AF-S/AF-I lenses, metering with some pre-AF lenses, fast burst speed, and more)</p>

<p>I use a D40 alongside a D300, and this combination is almost perfect for all situations. (assume you mostly use AF-S lenses, and set the simple controls of the D40 the way you like it: for example, I always use aperture priority and set the Fn button to ISO control) For a camera that fits in a coat pocket (with a smaller lens), the D40 is almost as good as it gets (and it's cheap).</p>

<p>my shooting partner (in photography) got herself a d40 as a backup for her d200 versus my recommendation of a d70s. she loved that little baby right away.................and i did, too. i might just get one as my everyday-carry camera. one thing is she has several af-s lenses that will be usable on the d40. this might be to your disadvantage. of course it's always fun to manual focus.<br>

to me it's best to have the same backup camera as your primary. i don't have the money so i still have my d70s as backup to my d200 when i do shoots where i am going to be paid.</p>

<p>What do you do that requires a backup? Camera really seldom breaks if you take care of it. You can send it away for repair if it does break. If money is an issue you don't need a back up camera. If you are making money doing photography and you are good at it you should not be worrying about an "expensive" camera.<br>

If you are an amateur and want a smaller and lighter D40 to carry around and use as a second camera then it makes more sense. </p>

I have to disagree with Hansen. You should always have a backup. I just found a like-new D100 for $250 and have been pleased. The downside to the D40 is that it doesn't support all the AF lenses. The D50 does though, a neat camera that seems to have fallen off the face of the planet. You have a ton of options under $500 and plenty under $300. Rick H.

<p>I would think a D80 would be a better fit, as a backup camera. I saw a Cameta dealer DEMO , on eBay, for $350. I suspect others can be had at or near that price. Unless you have non AF lenses, I think that would be the best deal.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>LOL Rick, disagreeing is good. My reaction when I read your post was something out of a movie where a person was misunderstood until he died. ;-)<br>

I guess the difference in opinion here is my interpretation on what is a "backup" versus what is a "second" camera. As am amateur photographer we really don't need any "backup" because our bread and butter is not dependent on the images that we create. So if we missed an opportunity in creating a photograph we will live on.<br>

However as Shun said the need for "backup" (that also read like a second camera to me) depends on the OP's photographic experience and importance.<br>

Then what constitute a backup. Will it be a camera that the OP carry along with the D200 at the same time all the time? Or would it be a second camera that stays at home to be used when the D200 breaks. As far as I can interpret the OP said something about a camera to use if something happens to the D200. <br>

So the question I raise about a backup camera is that how long would the OP willing to wait to obtain the second camera. 1) Wait a few weeks for the D200 to get repaired? 2) Drive home (assuming OP was shooting some place other than having the "backup" camera within reach) and grab the "backup" camera and continue shooting? 3) Drive home and use the "backup" camera on another photography outing? 4) Wait till the end of vacation, go home and take the "backup" camera on the next vacation which can be any time period in the future?<br>

Or the real motivation behind the question. I believe the OP was really asking what should be a good "second" camera to purchase in light of a money constrain.<br>

A second camera is not the same as a "backup" camera. A backup camera in a professional situation is a must have. A second camera for an amateur photographer is which ever the user can afford.<br>

I hope now that I have made myself a bit more understandable we can then help the OP with a more focused recommendation. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you to all that have responded. I'm looking to use the D40 as a camera to always have with me on an assignment should my d200 stop functioning. I have worked alongside other photographers who have had these types of situations occur, and they have had to turn to my camera. I want to have a plan. I have used the d70s and it is a nice camera, but it would be nice to have a smaller one that can fit easily into my already over-packed bag. You have been quite helpful.</p>