Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Super-wide II

shots worth sharing

<p>My inclination to date has been to shoot with long (>50m) lenses and I decided it was time to take a walk on the wide side so when a FA 31mm showed up on eBay at a very nice price, I grabbed it and, shortly thereafter-- intrigued by it's close-focusing--, relieved Mis of his beat-up old Sigma Super-wide II--also (after some bare-knuckle bargaining ;~) at a very nice price.</p>

<p>I won't bore you with accolades for the 31mm --it hardly needs my testimonial--but let me tell you, this little Sigma is a lot of fun!</p>

<p>The Sigma Miniwides (both 24 and 28mm) were a good value. I have both. The 24 is especially nice when stopped down for incredible depth of field. Another member of that series was the Sigma 135mm f3.5 Minitele. Doesn't have close focus like the two miniwides, but it is one of the smallest 135's made.<br>

Nice shots. Sometimes a wide angle is what you need for close ups. A close focusing wide angle is good when you want model trains, cars, etc. to look more realistic.</p>

<p>Nice shots Dave!</p>

<p>I always had kind of lousy contrast with my Sigma Mini-Wide, and discovered an oily film on the back of the front element. I took it apart as far as I could trying to get at that area to clean, but never did figure it out, nor how to put it back together. Now I miss it - I really liked the slightly wide angle with decently fast aperture and close-focusing capabillities. I'd pick another up in a heartbeat, even if it had the oily film. Especially one with the A setting....</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>What is the maximum distance you can be from the subject and still focus on it? I noticed there is an "infinity" distacne on the lens barrel. Does that mean you can take wide angle indoor shots with it, or is it only good for macro? Great photos BTW!</p>