Adobe and Canon 5D Mark II!

ncarrasco

<p>It seems to be that Adobe does not provide support for Canon 5D Mark II using both Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2.2. I was not able to open the Raw files at all or convert them to dng. I currently have Camera Raw 4.4 and DNG Converter 4.5, and can't upgrade neither software without upgrading to PS CS4. I think Adobe is playing a dirty game here. It is not even a year since Adobe released CS3 and Lightroom 2 and now they become useless. <br>

Do you have any comment?</p>

<p>Nicolas</p>

<p>It's not useless, you can still use it and the latest DNG converter will be able to convert your RAW into Adobe's DNG <a href="http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4214">http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4214</a><br /> Then you can edit in CS3 with full functionality.<br /> Unfortunately that is Adobe's approach to it. We either live with it or use other software.</p>

<p>My copy of LR 2.2 converts my 5DII files no problem. I have also used the current version of DNG converter (a free download for anybody, Adobe customer or not) without issue. That Adobe only supports new cameras for current versions of their software is very old news and widely discussed on various forums for years now.</p>

<p>True, but can you blame the camera manufacturers for not endorsing a RAW format that is owned and controlled by Adobe instead of being truly open?</p>

<p>If there was a consortium of camera manufacturers that developed a standard, that would be one thing, but for one software company to say "Here's a format that our company developed that we want all of you to adopt" doesn't sound like something Canon and Nikon would be eager to sign on to.</p>

<p>Ralph:</p>

<p>Even if each manufacturer had their own proprietary format that they stuck with consistently, we'd be in a better position.</p>

<p>This isn't exactly rocket science. Pictures are composed of pixels. Pixels have numeric values corresponding to red, green, and blue. Unless something earth-shattering happens to our understanding of photons between now and when the next camera body is released, why shouldn't that body write in a compatible format? Canon can still have a format seperate from Nikon. Both can be different from Olympus. But just pick one format and stick with it.</p>

<p>Even better would for cameras to write directly to the DNG format, like Ricoh.</p>

<p>Most cameras have the ability to write to jpeg. That's standard. Why not do the same for raw files? As both a Canon user and a stock holder, I'd much rather Canon spend their resources creating cameras and let software companies like Adobe create photo processing software.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>Following your suggestions, I have found a solution to the above problem but Bridge CS3 is still not recognizing the files. As part of my standard workflow for the past few years, if I use Adobe Bridge CS3 to both import and convert the Canon 5D Mark II's Raw files to dng, the program still fails to convert the files to this desired format. It does import the Raw files, but neither Lightroom 2.2 or Photoshop CS3 can open these files. And Yes, I upgrade the DNG converter to its latest version. However, if I use Lightroom to both import and do the conversion, everything works well.<br>

I would like to thank each one of you for your comments.</p>

<p>Nicolas</p>

<p>I don't know why everyone keeps saying that CS3 only came out a year ago. It came out almost 2 years ago. Furthermore, it only costs a few hundred to upgrade from the previous version so unless you are starting with CS4 right out of the gate you shouldn't be out an arm and a leg. Even furthermore, the program will be able to edit JPEG photos from any camera for the next 100 years, no upgrades needed. They have decided to only include the newest model-specific RAW processing with each new release. They don't even have to do that; the camera companies should either provide decent RAW programs with their products or they should move to a universal format such as DNG which would eliminate these issues altogether. In any event, they have to draw the line somehwere so they decided to do so with the D90 and a few others that made the cut. The last camera raw update for CS3 came out months after CS4 was out, so they didn't just aburbtly cut everyone off.</p>

<p>Nicolas,</p>

<p>Your workflow seems to be wrong.</p>

<p>CS3 will never be able to see your Canon RAW files. They are not supported. Lightroom 2.2 can see them just fine.</p>

<p>So either you need to convert your Canon RAW files to DNG before opening them in CS3 or you need to import them into Lightroom and then Export them in a format that CS3 recognizes.</p>

<p> </p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Below is a plead for help to Jack Nack, Principal Product Manager, Adobe Photoshop concerning Abobe CS3 and Canon 5D Mark II incompatibility:</p>

<p><br /> 01/27/2009<br>

<br /> Ennis Says:<br>

<br /> I bought the CS3 Extended suite last spring. I just got a Canon 5D Mark II. What a surprise to discover that Abobe won't support it.<br>

<br /> I'm still numb.</p>

<p><br /> Jack Nack Replys:<br>

<br /> [Adobe (meaning Photoshop CS1-CS3) does support the 5D Mk II. You need to use the free DNG Converter: Download for Mac|Win.<br />--J.]<br>

<br />------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>

01/28/2009<br>

<br /> Ennis Says:<br>

<br />Hi Jack,<br>

<br />Thanks for the reply.<br>

<br /> I downloaded and used the Adobe DNG converter as you suggested. I had hoped it was a plugin for Adobe Bridge CS3 which would work autonomously in the background. It doesn't seem to be. It does however convert files as claimed.<br>

<br /> I bought Adobe CS3 Extended last May (2008). I believed that the included ARC (Adobe Camera Raw) and Adobe Bridge would be powerful workflow tools. And they were! Until now.<br>

<br /> For those of you who don't know this, Adobe ACR version 4.6.0.30 (final version for CS3) doesn't convert Canon 5D Mark ii raw files for processing in Adobe CS3 Bridge. You need the free Adobe DNG converter (Digital Negative) to make Canon Mark ii files compatible. It's a additional step in the workflow.<br>

<br /> I was using bridge while shooting tethered. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, using Adobe DNG converter in this process is a procedural leap backward. Now, I won't even be using ACR or Bridge in regular untethered processing.<br>

<br /> It's been just eight months and one new camera (" Canon 5D Mark ii ") since I purchased CS3 Extended and now my versions of Adobe ACR and Adobe Bridge have been rendered effectively useless and obsolete. And Adobe doesn't seem to care (I know it's not personal).<br>

<br /> I sincerely hope that Adobe Systems, Inc. reconsiders their position concerning support of Abobe ACR for CS3, Bridge CS3 and the compatibility of those applications with the Canon 5D Mark 2.<br /> The 5D Mark II may become one of the most famous cameras of this era. There's a great deal of discussion in forums concerning CS3's incompatibility.<br>

<br /> I understand that Adobe would like an open file format standard and I would too. But, by not standing behind the Adobe product that some of us bought so recently, we feel betrayed.<br /> Please help us.<br>

<br /> Thanks.<br>

<br /> -Ennis (An Adobe Customer)<br>

<br /> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------</p>

<p>Here's Jack's Blog:<br>

<br /> <a rel="nofollow" href="http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/" target="_blank">http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/</a></p>

<p>---------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------</p>

<p>Here's Jacks Address @ Adobe:<br>

<br /> Jack Nack<br />Principal Product Manager, Adobe Photoshop<br />Adobe Systems Incorporated<br />345 Park Avenue<br />San Jose, CA 95110-2704</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sorry All ( & John) for the incorrect information above,</p>

<p>This persons name is: John Nack</p>

<p>

<p >Here's John's Blog:<br /><br /><a rel="nofollow" href="http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/" target="_blank">http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/</a></p>

<p >---------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------------</p>

<p >Here's John's Address @ Adobe:<br /><br />John Nack<br />Principal Product Manager, Adobe Photoshop<br />Adobe Systems Incorporated<br />345 Park Avenue<br />San Jose, CA 95110-2704</p>

<p >jnack@adobe.com</p>

<p >

<br />

</p>

</p>