Catchy eyes with 430EX II

calvin_choy

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I have read on the internet that the white pull out bounce card can be used in order to get those catchy eyes effect. Unfortunately, I didn't know that the 430EX II of canon doesn't included one :s, I thought it was something every flash has...<br>

Anyway, can anyone tell me how to get those catchy eyes effect ? When the flash is directed to the subject it is no problem to get the nice looking eyes, but if I am bouncing off the ceiling for example, how can I still get those catchy eye effect? If I had the white bounce card it will be easy . . . any other options ? Can I just pull out the diffuse plate and use that instead ? Or is the best solution to just get a white business card or something and hold that behind the flash units ?</p>

<p>thnx</p>

<p>[[i have read on the internet that the white pull out bounce card can be used in order to get those catchy eyes effect. Unfortunately, I didn't know that the 430EX II of canon doesn't included one :]]</p>

<p>A rubber band and a white index card work just as well.</p>

<p>I didnt know that the diffusers will also help with getting catch light effect in the eyes. I thought usually you will point the flash with the diffuser in the direction of the ceiling and get soft "natural" overall lighting and therefore missing the sharp directed catch light.</p>

<p>thnx for the tip :)</p>

<p>If you don't need much fill, just use direct flash dial it down a stop or 2 using FEC. You'll get the "eye sparkle" just fine. And, yes, I sometimes use a rubberband and white card for catchlights if I'm bouncing the mainly flash off the ceiling.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>thnx for the tips guys./gals The rubberband method was the first thing I thought off, but just wondering if people here have some more elegant solutions :D.</p>

<p>I see that there are also flash kits where you can attach all kinds of stuff on it using velco. I assume that you can just get velco in the store and then create one that fits your camera, that would easier to get things setup quickly.</p>

<p>I have never tried flash off camera . . . I am stil new to flashing and always have to take several shots to get the correct setting for my flash. Flash off camera sounds so advance hehe . . .but I definetly want to try that one since it gives me more creative control. I have no idea where to get started though. I think I will need so purchase a cable? I dont think my 450D support wireless flash off camera...</p>

<p>I think the photoshop will be the last solution I take . . . no offence but I like to get as much as possible directly from the camera. Gives me more a feeling of it being a real photo :)</p>

<p>Check out youtube for a video describing "<em>a better bounce card</em> ". I think it is cool, even if it is a little awkward. Works at least as well as the stofen. But for catchlights, neither is better. In bright sunlight, or outdoors, use direct flash. You diffuse for better quality light, with little effect on the catchlight. Diffuse to get rid of that amateur 'deer in the headlights' paparazzi grab shot.</p>

<p>Dave</p>