Need some expert advice.

jesse_hartman

<p> In the past few months I have landed myself a job as a photographer having no background in photography besides having extensive knowledge of electronics. I have grown very fond of photography and wish to get into it as a hobby. On the job I have use Nikon D50s, D70s, and D90s with a verity of lenses and am most comfortable with using Nikon cameras. </p>

<p> I want to get camera for myself for practice, personal enjoyment, and to learn how to utilize my camera outside the limits my employer sets (basically all we can change is shutter speed, exposure, flash and ISO). I have settled on either getting a D90 or a D80, leaning more to the D80 due to its lesser price and I like the 18-135mm lens that comes with the D80 more than the 18-105mm that comes with the D90. My question is this; as far as photos go is the any major differences, besides resolution's, between the D90 and the D80? And dose the D80 have a the same menu system the D90 dose? What camera should I go for? Also what other equipment might some of you suggest I get along with my camera in general?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jesse,</p>

<p>Congratulations on landing the job!</p>

<p>I do not own a D80 or D90, but I have handled them both. I am unfamiliar with menu styles, so I won't comment on that.</p>

<p>First off, you are on the right track. The difference in resolution between the D80's 10 MP and the D90's 12 is less than miniscule. However, the D80 is a 2.5 year old camera...in digital terms, around 80 :-). Camera sensors are always improving, especially in terms of low-light performance. If part of what you want to work on involves low-light shooting, you may want to go for the D90. The D90 also has Live View (allows you to use the LCD for composition, much like any point and shoot), which is fantastic for macro photogrpahy, or for situations where it is easier to hold the camera away from you to compose. To boot, the D90 has HD video, which is not Nikon's true specialty, and you do have to manually focus in video mode, but if you wanted it in a pinch, it's nice to have it all in one gizmo.</p>

<p>So why the D80? Well, it is around $300 cheaper than the D90, and as you mentioned, the lens has a greater focal range. You could use the $300 you save and purchase some of the "other equipment" you are asking about.</p>

<p>Other equipment - There are all kinds of things. Make sure you get a large memory card. Both the D80 and D90 use SD cards...I recommend two or three SanDisk Extreme III 4 GB cards. I would purchase two filters for the kit lens - a UV Haze filter, and a circular polarizer, for protection of the front element of the lens, and for their respective image enhancing properties (UV will take away some solar haze, CP will eliminate glare and deepen colors). There are a myriad of other filters to explore. Next, an external flash unit (Nikon calls them Speedlites) will help your on-camera flash lighting. I use an SB-600, which I recommend for the serious hobbyist. It's smaller and less expensive than the SB-800 and SB-900, but allows more flexibilty and options than the smaller, less expensive, and limited SB-400.<br>

You're also going to want some kind of external protection for your camera and equipment. Lowepro makes fantastic bags for this. You can buy them from the website, or from retailers like Ritz.</p>

<p>After those basic accessories, There are all kinds of things...remote, light meters, tripods, diopters, more lenses...but a basic system is all you need right now to get started.</p>

<p>Oh, and I forgot the most important thing of all! A subscription to photo.net!</p>

<p>Good luck...we are here to help!</p>

<p>--Ryan</p>

<p>So for the interesting part, could you explain how you "landed myself a job as a photographer having no background in photography"? I don't mean any offense by that. But there are plenty of very experienced, very good photographers who are out of work or underemployed so please don't throw this line out there without explaining.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice Ryan. After reading what you have to say on the subject as well as talking to some of my co-workers and stopping in at my local photo/hobby shop I think I'm going to be going with the D90. </p>

<p>Re: <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=938526">Craig Shearman</a><br /> I work for a theme park, pay is not that great and there are very few openings for anything at most parks here in Orlando right now.</p>