Nikon D700 & 24-70mm 2.8 G. or Canon 5D2 with 24-70mm L

jcmexico2000

<p>Either combo is first rate. The choice for you is all about the rest of your system. If you are planning on doing weddings with only one of those, you are risking problems beyond gear choice.<br>

you should play with both and decide which camera is better suited to your way of shooting. Then build your system around it. And of course, you'll need at least another body or two.</p>

<p>I tried out the 24-70 on my D90 and was BIGTIME impressed, on an full frame camera I think it would be a superb choice.<br>

Put it this way, I am still buying one for my D90...magnificant lense, nealry as good as my 50mm 1.8D....I agree with Arash, add the 85mm f1.4 to your lineup, you wont regret it!</p>

<p>The 24-70 Nikkor is quite a new lens, while the Canon 24-70 L has been around for a while. Most reviews I've read suggest that the Nikkor is better (although the Canon L is quite good in the first place).</p>

<p>The D700 probably has better weather sealing, and controls more similar to those of flagship DSLR models. The D700 is capable of 8fps when used with the MB-D10, while the 5D Mark 2 is significantly slower. The 5D Mark 2 is very good as far as high ISO noise goes, especially for a camera with so many pixels. But the D700 obviously has the "natural" physical advenatge of having less pixels (and larger pixels). Nikon (according to many) has a better flash system.</p>

<p>The 5D Mark 2 is probably a excellent studio, landscape, and architecture camera...</p>

<p>Both combinations should be capable of getting the job done fine. You should try to figure out which system works better for you, and which company's products fit in your hands better.</p>

<p>From what I have come across, the Nikon system is far superior than the Canon system - for *your* needs. Main reasons being much better/ faster/ more accurate AF, better spread of AF sensors across the frame, D lens capability, colour metering, and still higher high ISO performance. Also better weather sealing, better control flexibility and accessibility (menuing, ergonomics), and excellent DR. I am assuming you do not need or want large files, such as are generated by the mega-pixel 5DII and A900 bodies.<br>

Nor are your customers likely to be able to appreciate (or recognise) the Zeiss 'look' or the Sony sensor's incredible resolution - they want well-exposed and professional looking wedding photos...<br>

The answer would be quite different if you were a landscape photographer - for which use high pixel counts and high-res lenses are king, for RAW image workflows. For your needs, the Canon system is also obviously used by many pros...I imagine wedding shooters are a bread-and-butter market for C and N.</p>

<p>The D700 has better AF, better high ISO performance and better dynamic range. The Eos 5D2 has higher resolution (and a movie mode if you're into experimenting with it). Given this, I would assume that the D700 is in general better for weddings, but it does depend a lot on your style.</p>

<p>d700 + 24-70<br>

about 5000 canadian before tax.</p>

<p>canon 5d mk2 + 24-70<br>

about 4500 canadian before tax.</p>

<p>500 bucks is a big difference.. if you arent made of money.<br>

that could be a flash. even another lens.</p>

<p>Personally id go with the Nikon..<br>

I love the way they feel in my hand.<br>

and i have abused my d70 quite a bit.. still in top notch shape.</p>

<p>I echo what other have said.. Go to the shop. hold it keep holding it.. walk around bring the camera to your eye. keep holding.. play with the settings.. etc..</p>

<p>Which felt like it was an extention to your arm? Go with that one..</p>

<p>What if both felt like it?</p>

<p>Then close your eyes. spin around till you get dizzy.<br>

try to focus on one..<br>

Which comes into focus first.</p>

<p>and if that doesnt work (or the store owner doesnt let you spin till you are dizzy)..<br>

Then.. what's your favorite color out of the two. Red or Yellow?</p>

<p>Go with that one. ;)</p>