correct memory card for canon xsi / 450D

l._keyes

<p>Hi all,<br>

I recently purchased (!hooray!) a canon xsi with the kit lens. I had purchased also a pretty standard 8 gb sandisk SD/HC card ($~20)to go with it. The customer service rep I was dealing with stated my card wasn't fast enough and I needed a different card since my card wouldn't hold up against continuous shooting. (and oh by the way they had a sale on memory cards.) All I know is that the one he wanted me to purchase cost $30 more.<br>

I guess this makes sense needing a faster write speed, but I wanted to confirm this here to ensure I wasn't being taken for a ride. And if he is correct, how fast is fast enough?</p>

<p>Thanks<br /> Laura</p>

<p>Yes he is right but that does not necessarily mean that he is not trying to sell you more than you need. The slowest SD cards are slower than the Xsi can write but the fastest cards are faster than the Xsi can write. So what yo need is somethng in the middle. For SanDisk, their Extreme II line should be fine. The other part of the question is do YOU fire off bursts of 6 or so RAW files or 12 or so jpeg files in rapid succession. If you don't then you will never notice that your card is slow.</p>

<p>Thanks Brad. I was getting the distinct impression I had been slightly taken by this guy on the phone, but I think I got a decent price. So I guess I'll stick with it.<br>

Thanks for your help. Right now I just want to get the camera in my hands!</p>

<p>I buy generic batteries at Sterlingtek.com. I use them interchangably with the Canon and have never had one fail. I'm using the Sandisk Extreme 3 8g SD cards with my XSi, but I agree with Brad that the cheaper card will do the job just fine. Good luck!</p>

<p>No, a reputable dealer I've bought from before. And yes, I have some other cards around so I will have multiples. <br>

I think I'll be happy with my purchases. My next questions and searching of the forums will surely come when I actually get the camera in my hands!<br>

Thanks<br>

LK</p>