Christmas surprises? Any posh cameras?

john clark

<p>Got a nice chest infection on top of a recent heart bypass. And the new F6 shipped to me from -&- in the States turned out to be a previos return and looked as I feel. Have it packed for a return and refund. Hell this thing must have travelled millions of miles. Feeling very miserable so treated myself to a 24-70 . Been sat up in bed shooting the wardrobe from every direction at a variety of focal lengths. Wardrobes can be really interesting especially with you big toe in the foreground. Going to see if I can get a nice sunrise shot lighting it up with maybe a dressing gown hanging from it.<br>

And its a heavy combination if you are fit so its on the tripod at the side of the bed with live veiw and a remote! <br>

The mark of a real photographer I feel.</p>

<p>Well, for Christmas for me (most of mine were purchased by myself):</p>

<p>Macro flash (Opteka ETTL for Canon)<br>

Sent my 10D backup body (have a 20D I usually use) for repair (shutter - got body free)</p>

<p>for my wife (she has an XTi)<br>

Canon 75-300 IS lens (bought used off Craigslist for $130. This is the IS version in mint condition - the owner upgraded to the Canon 100-400L lens).</p>

<p>I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season!</p>

<p>Nope, no camera, (really do have a great plenty, so no disappointment,) but did receive a wonderful book, "Ansel Adams - 400 photo's." Lovely thing, mighty enjoyable, a very thoughtful gift from a dear friend.</p>

<p>Makes me want to go right out and shoot up some film, but alas, it's snowing. Maybe tomorrow. Here's wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas, and the best New Year with lot's of Sunny 16 Days.</p>

<p>John - If I bring my new book over, can I have a shot of the Talisker? One of the best soul warming sips of all, and did I mention it's cold and snowing here?</p>

<p>Cheers, Patrick </p>

<p>I got a cherry condition Brownie twin 20 outfit, complete with a brand new bar of flashbulbs and the wrist strap has never even been out of the box. It has a eye level finder as well as a pristine quality waist level finder. the side flash is really cool too. It is by far the fanciest Brownie i have ever laid eyes on. <br>

I also received my dads old Sony V3, which i have always coveted, he has moved on to a longer zoom model and passed the V3 on. I have never had a good quality point and shoot, i can finally leave the slr at home when i take the kids out to the park. </p>

<p>Well, I don't observe christmas but a few weeks ago the missus let me bid on a nice clean Olympus Pen S3.5. Got it for $46 but it came in completely packed up. The missus thought I was crazy to keep it but I told her it was too clean to return and with more bravado that brains I set to work. Never had the little 7 speed Copal apart before but it cleaned up nicely and now clicks right along. Oh Joy.</p>

<p>Santa brought me a 1DsIII, a 70-200 f/2.8L IS, and a 100-400L. This of course is an early April fools claim, as we might not have the financial wherewithall (computer, electricity, Internet access) to share such claims by April. ;-)</p>

<p>But ahead of our financial collapse, I did buy myself a Canadian refurb 40D to upgrade my crop backup, which had been a 10D. It's a pretty cool camera. I Ebayed off my old 10D, ironically, to a Canadian man, so the US/Canadian camera balance remains unaltered. I was sad to ship it off, as it was my first DSLR. We're both very happy with our new babies, and I think the 40D is a great complement to my 5D. God bless us everyone! :-)</p>

<p>Patrick, you're welcome. There are at least 20 bottles of fine whisky in my secret stash :-)</p>

<p>On the subject of Ansel Adams, I did manage to see the career retrospective at the Edinburgh City Art Centre last year - and very good it was, too. I took my 18 month old (at the time) son along, and he wasn't quite so keen - no patience, bless...</p>

<p>Anyway, back to cameras, and it looks like nobody's going to surprise me with a 5D mk2 this year so I might have to mortgage my cat to get one...</p>

<p>Not knowing what it was I wanted my parents gave me a check, which has been turned into a bunch of Mamiya RB67 gear. Three bodies and five lenses plus finders and backs. Now I need to sell a couple of bodies and some lenses so I can hopefully buy a 50mm as its the one I think I want, which of course I dont have!<br>

Happy holidays to you all!</p>