Anybody familiar with this school (SCAD)?

rick_helmke1

<p>I don't know about Savannah's photography department, but in my business (graphic design/communications), I've seen a few portfolios from graduates of Savannah and have been very impressed. We have a couple of friends whose kids are going there for design and fine arts, and they are quite happy. (Their kids are very artistically talented to begin with.)</p>

<p>Sounds like a good opportunity for you. Good luck!</p>

<p>I have a cousin who is just about to graduate from their undergrad design program. She seems quite pleased with the school. Though in this economy, I have no idea where she is going to get a job.</p>

<p>That having been said, the only photo classes she took were undergrad basic ones. So I don't know that my post will be all that helpful.</p>

<p>You might do a search as this question came up some time ago. There may be some helpful information in that thread. We toured the school when my son was looking a few years ago. They spend some money on equipment (top computers at the time, printers, scanners, darkroom, etc.). The faculty said their photography students don't touch digital until about year 3. Whether that is still the case I don't know. Times are changing quickly now. I have no idea about graduate success in finding employment. </p>

I got my undergraduate degree from Auburn in 1981 and have been working with a camera ever since. I'm looking for something new photographically and thought a Master's might get me moving in a different direction. It looks like SCAD has an Atlanta campus which would make things a bit easier. Any information on their programs is appreciated. Thanks. Rick H.

I had a student who is working on a degree in animation from Savannah. I have seen some of his work and it is impressive.

He loves it and says they work hard, but learn a lot. He was very artsy, but not a great student academically. He seems to

be working hard and really learning animation. His teachers have really turned him on to learning. Appears to be an excellent

school to look into.

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I went to a portfolio review that SCAD was hosting for thier school, I myself am interested in thier photography program and thier art education degree. I was really impressed! The staff is friendly and had good contructive critisism for my photo portfolio. They are a little pricey, but I was told that about 80% of in coming freshman in scholarships to help. I believe every month major and private companies (like hallmark, pixar, etc.) come to the college and look at the students work and are sometimes comissioned to do work for them. Sometimes even a whole class will be comissioned to do something for them. The campus is very nice (though i have yet to visit) and a lot of the dorms and classrooms are new. Their photography degree, from what i read and saw, is amazing! You should definatly so to thier website and check it out. You can request a course information packet, which i must warn you, is huge because of how many programs they have.</p>

• 2 weeks later...