Lenses distortion and software correction

anov

<p>With the advent of more powerful software and hardware in the industry. I was jus wondering if this will affect direction of new lenses performance characteristics. For example, certain distortions such as linear distortion (barrell/pin-cushion) and light fall off is easily corrected in post processing. In fact the new Canon 50D corrected some of this defect in camera.<br>

Other problems such as peripheral softness, contrast, color quality, and CA is harder to correct in PP with good and consistent result. Maybe future lenses will concentrate more on these feature that is not easily corrected and less on the easily corrected defect.</p>

<p>While it is true that recent versions of Photoshop and other software can correct for distortion, you can lose a lot of area in the image when you do this, so for pro level lenses for shooting architecture, for example, I suspect that there will still be demand for high levels of correction. The other interesting aspect of this is that second generation kit lenses seem to be better corrected for distortion (according to various test reports) without having increased in cost.</p>

<p>Yes</p>

<p>This is exactly the direction of the future. I recently bought a new travel lens. The recent design 16-85mm Nikkor. This lens was intentionally designed to be be very sharp and have low chromatic distortion. In both of these aspects it's an exceptional lens. As for light fall off and distortion (pinchusion/barel) it's performance is average. I don't care. A small trip through DXO or PTlens and these are corrected. The choosinf their compromises the designers put less emphasis on what can easily be corrected in software. It's the right thing to do in a lens for digital.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1177/cat/13">http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1177/cat/13</a></p>

<p>Edmond</p>

<p>There's a nice little piece of advice you should write down and keep in a place you look at often..."Get it right the first time!" Anything you "fix" in software comes at a cost, in both time and quality. Sometimes that's the only choice, but don't suggest it's the universal answer to poor design or sloppy work.</p>

<p>Depends how much you want to pay. It's a LOT cheaper to correct certain lens defects in software than to do it optically, plus you can design a smaller and lighter lens.</p>

<p>That's your choice. A honking big lens that's twice the size, weight and cost to do it optically, or a smaller, lighter, cheaper lens that does it digitally.</p>