Why be a wedding photographer?

hassy501

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>

<p>I do this "part time" as a weekend warrior. It's fun, pays some of the bills, and I meet some really great people I would not have met just being a hardware engineer.<br>

<p>Being a part-timer I can pick and choose between my couples, taking only the jobs that I want to do with the people that really click with me. So far I've had clients who chose me for me (style and personality), and not because I provide a better bang for the buck. It makes things easier for the wedding planning and post wedding work for the both of us.<br>

<p>You have to love wedding photography. You have to be a people-person, charming, sociable, and able to bring the best out of your subject. You have to be able to diplomatically handle difficult situations and make everyone feel like they're coming out winning.<br>

<p>I would not want to make it a full-time business at this point though. I like being able to choose my clients for best fit.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

<p>I am amused at how many people suddenly want to be wedding shooters after they buy a DSLR, don't they realize they're endeavoring in of the most difficult photographic challenges there is? They need to learn about composition, lighting, exposure, all in a short period of time - it takes YEARS for most of us to get proficient enough to even want to tackle weddings.</p>

<p>I have shot about 150 or so of these blessed events, all with Canon film SLR's, I have yet to be approached to shoot a wedding since I bought my D80 system. I probably will decline to shoot digital simply because I only have the one body and one Nikon flash.</p>

<p>Another beef is the time factor - any wedding shooter worth his/her salt would use RAW files. I estimated it would take about 15 hours to process NEF's to workable JPEG's. I'd have to actually ask more for shooting digital than for film due to this time constraint. In my neck of the woods, people are too cheap to want to spend the money, sadly, and Uncle Bill ends up taking the phtoos with his PS compact. Oh well.</p>

<p>

<p>Why do I ?</p>

<p>because I am a candid people photographer for hire, and there are a lot of people at a wedding. It provides me with a purpose I love and the pay that I need.</p>

<p>Bridezilla's or Drama Queens provide fodder for even more interesting people photos ... I'm not in it just for Walt Disney or Hallmark shots ... I like all of it.</p>

<p>I like Uncle Bob ... I show him how to use his camera at most every wedding, and usually get another wedding from someone he knows because he thinks I'm a genius ... LOL!</p>

<p>I do a lot of Commercial photography ... it's a lot easier than weddings because I bother to find out about the company by visiting their website ... then play back their mission statement in the photos while treating their executives like they were geniuses ... so I get more easy work where the assistants do all the heavy lifting.</p>

<p>Why does everyone want to be one?</p>

<p>Because Canon made a camera that let's them think they are ... which is encouraged by their TV commercials.</p>

</p>

<p>why should i think to became weeding photographer ? just because you can earn more money?<br>

Is this the only reason while you can became a photgrapher like <em>James</em> Nachtwey or Reza deghati or others who are trying to change the world using thier photos , show us the things that we dont want to see or we fogot to see ,</p>

<p>Dear Ronald<br>

I dont think that wedding photography is most difficult photographic challenges<br>

Which one is more challening , photogrpahy in the middle of war , or in africa , afghanistan or other places like these ?<br>

Which one is more challenging? to take photos of a wedding that all you need is to know the techniques and post processing or taking photos that have some meanign , felling and make you think ?</p>

<p>For the record, my post was sarcatic. But for sarcasm to work it needs underlying truth. I do believe that photography (not just wedding photography) is viewed as a "glam" job. Many who haven't experienced what a wedding photographer does over the course of a year, do not realize that actual picture taking is only a small percentage of the overall scope of the career. While those who do it full-time know the majority of time is spent on post-processing, organization, order fulfilment, marketing, bookeeping, learning and business practices.</p>

<p>Technology (not just digital) has allowed more people to make better images. With the advent of digital and advanced metering, auto-focus, TTL flash metering, computers, etc. people with little or no photographic training can go out and buy a camera for a realatively small amount of money and take pictures that are better then they've ever taken before. Another factor with digital photography, is that the instantaniousness of it and the lack of film and processing costs have non-photographers taking a lot more photos. The more photos you take the more likely you'll get a great shot. I've noticed this in this years crop of Christmas cards with pictures of my friends kids on them. Some of them are very good and the photos weren't shot by pros or with pro equipment.</p>

<p>I think some of the posters on here that want to get into wedding photography start exploring the idea of being a pro wedding photographer for a variety of reasons. Some may be unhappy in their current situation due to financial reasons, boredom, work schedule or a combination of factors. And some, legitimately love photography and/or love weddings.</p>

<p>Those of us whose career is wedding photography have paid our dues. Whether it was through assisting or working free or whatever, pros have somehow figured it out. When I started doing professional photography there was no internet. You learned by asking other pros and doing. Along the way you learned whether or not you like wedding photography. Now, with sites like this, it's so much easier to get info and the questions are out in the open. This forum has a concentrated dose of potential future wedding photographers and because of the concentration, it looks like everyone with a DSLR wants to be a wedding photographer. When it comes to being a pro (paid) photographer, the market for wedding photography is the broadest of all the disciplines of photography and with that comes the easiest entry in to pro photography. With pro photography, as with most careers, there will always be people coming and going out of it. You're just not likely to see a thread on here, "How to get out of wedding photography?"</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Pooria,<br /> I believe that photographs taken at a wedding display (hopefully) a part of someones life that they want to remember, and with some hard work and talent, do it in a way the transfers some meaning, feeling and makes you pause to think.<br>

<br /> The war photographers are not the only ones who can convey such things through their imagery, they just have a more dramatic and disturbing subject matter. That makes weddings all the more challenging since for you to produce such impactful work, there has to be more careful attention in order to "find" those moments, perspectives, emotions and so forth.<br>

<br /> I know that JN has produced some stunning work, but so have those who shoot wedding and are at the top of their field. Which is more challenging depends on what you are thrown to shoot. I would argue you have to look a lot harder during a wedding to get the shots that convey deep impact upon the viewer...</p>

<p>1. I already like photography, so why not get paid to do what I love?<br>

2. Weddings are on the weekends, so I can keep my day job.<br>

3. Fast-paced, fun and challenging.<br>

4. My toys pay for themselves.<br>

5. Capturing moments that people will cherish for the rest of their lives.<br>

6. A great venue for getting candids. People act like you're not even there.<br>

7. Making the client happy.<br>

8. Good outlet for artistic expression.<br>

9. Good break from the tedium of everyday life.<br>

10. One word: Bridesmaids.</p>

<p> To answer the (rephrased) question - I DO NOT want to be a pro wedding photographer.<br>

However, looking at it from the outside, and reading about what people make shooting weddings and how much they work for it (that is Pros, not people just snap away JPGs, burn a CD and are done), anybody who is in it for the money may need their fincancial bearings readjusted. Many people here take awsome pictures. I doubt many people make 6 figures easily from photography (I may be wrong.....)</p>

<p><em></em><br>

<em>I've noticed this in this years crop of Christmas cards with pictures of my friends kids on them. Some of them are very good and the photos weren't shot by pros or w</em><em>ith pro equipment</em>.</p>

<p>We are definitely not getting the same Xmas cards :) But I agree - the sheer number of photos taken will increase the chance of getting a keeper. I am guilty as charged. But everytime I take a <strong>film</strong> camera to my eye, I actually pause and think before I take a shot. That may not be the best in Weddings... :). There are plenty of people with sophisticated cameras around, to me the "yield" of many "auto everything" amateur shooters seems to be below par. For myself, I may get better pictures with a DSLR in the end, but the denominator is much larger. So overall, average picture "quality" (however you may want to measure it) may actually decrease.</p>

<p>It seems to me that there are two camps of wedding shooters. Those who do it part time and love it. They have regular jobs so the income from weddings is not a necessity.<br>

Then there are those who do it full time, work their asses off and make a living from it. by choice or by chance.<br>

If I had to do it all over again, I would not get into weddings. The time involved in shooting the job, editing, creating albums and products provided far outreach the income for the AVERAGE shooter. <br>

The top tier shooters who do make a great living are the exception more than the rule in this profession.<br>

Just like any other profession there are the top enders and the rest of the crowd.</p>

<p>The original topic of this thread was " Why does everyone want to be a wedding photographer". <br>

NOT "why do YOU want to be a wedding photographer".<br>

The emphasis was supposed to be on the publics eagerness to think that anyone can be a wedding photographer.</p>

<p>George, the sentance "Why does everyone want to be a wedding photographer" could be read two ways. </p>

<p> "WHY does everyone want to be a wedding photographer". Or it could be Why does EVERYONE want to be a wedding photographer"... which means something else entirely.</p>

<p>Since I didn't think someone would start a contensious thread - I certainly picked the former. </p>

<p> This is a forum for Weddiing Photographers, therefore, most people who post here want to be a wedding photographer. So the question - Why do YOU want to be a wedding photographer euqals everyone here. Title stands as is.<br>

Please note that this is not the <strong>wedding photography complaint chat forum</strong> . <br>

Let's be constructive. Maybe the true title might have been.... <br /> "Can anyone be a wedding photographer?" Or, "why do so many newcomers want to be a wedding photographer?"</p>

<p>As to saying I must do weddings at the Ritz.. I have done one there. Didn't like it. They give you a vendor rules sheet. They wanted me to wear a suit. Not on your life. I climb walls and lay on the ground etc.. I am dressed appropriately and told them so. They allowed me to dress as I wished but although I've often stayed at the Ritz, I was not thrilled with working there. </p>

<p>Mostly I do historic mansions and I've done lots of Vermont Inns. I never had burnout in the 17 years I did weddings. I'm sorry you are experiencing that. There are things you can do to eliminate burn out. Why not start a constructive thread asking how wedding photographers avoid burnout?</p>

<p>I've done it, but stopped doing it a long time ago. Weddings are a comparatively easy way to break into photography because there's lots of work to be had, thanks to the fact that a very high percentage of brides hire a photographer and there's a constant new crop of brides every year. And it's mostly weekend business so someone with a day job can do it on the side. Once you get a few weddings under your belt, the basic list of photos is essentially the same wedding after wedding. So once you get good at that list of a 2-3 dozen shots, you can sell what is basically the same picture over and over again for years by just putting different people in front of the camera. (Yes, creativity and growth and experimentation are important to you as a photographer, but the bread and butter shots are largely the same.) I wish I had done more weddings when I was young and single and had nothing better to do on the weekends and the energy to both be creative and to put up with all the bridezilla situations. Now that I'm grown up with a family and no spare time the weekend work no longer fits into my life.</p>

<p>I don't really know. Like the <i>Accidental Tourist </i>I became the <i>Accidental Wedding Photographer. </i>I had retired from a forty-one year career in aviation both military and civil. After I retired I got on with a newspaper accidentally which led to my doing a wedding at the last minute accidentally because the hired photographer was reputed to be stoned. One wedding led to another with actually no conscious choice to enter another career after having pursued one that got quite stressful on occasion; both corporately and in the air. They say flying airplanes is hours and hours of boredom interspersed with moments of stark terror. Well, doing weddings is a little like that. As I stumbled along and my business grew I began to have a few of those moments of cold sweat; however the consequences, of course, were not as severe as winding up in a smoking hole in the ground somewhere. I found the boredom at weddings came in the sometimes eight hours I spent at the dressing, wedding and reception sites. Once they started eating things got slow. Also boring was sorting four or five hundred prints for albums. The stark terror was in fear of screwing it all up or when I dropped my 70-200 2.8L on a concrete sidewalk; or when I screwed up a contract and cost myself a few hundred bucks, or when I shot a roll of film at the wrong aperture and had to recover what I lost by being honest about my screw-up. I started all of this at the age of 64. At the age of 71 with weddings still on the books I decided I had had enough. Having said all of that, I love photography and I really loved recording those moments with some lovely, happy faces when my brides got their albums. I liked doing newspaper pictures as well and seeing my mediocre pictures in print especially sports. It's a real fascination with me to this day. But doing weddings alone is hard work and I had retired at least three times out of my previous career and I think I was smart enough to get out of aviation on top of my game. I can't say I got out weddings on top of my game but I was still being successful. I actually liked the work. Why? I guess producing a product that was truly appreciated (most of the time), getting to know some wonderful people ( and a few that were so hungover they could hardly say the vows let alone smile) and staying occupied late in life were the positives that kept me in it for seven years. I never, ever, in my wildest imaginings, thought I would retire to be, of all things for a pilot, a wedding photographer. </p>

<p>I was assisting commercial photographers on jobs that ranged from corporate publications to advertising and I really enjoyed the level of professionalism and superlative craftsmanship that I was immersed in. After my daughter was bon with a serious heart defect, I could no longer freelance during the week because I could not promise dates without leaving my daughter alone through her regular procedures and hospitalization. I had been shooting weddings regularly, but after her birth i started shooting two to three every weekend to try to keep up my income.<br>

I still miss the commercial work and I am getting back into it, but there are some unique things about wedding photography that are attractive.<br>

1. The results are personally important to the client on an emotional level. Not true of commercial work.<br>

2. The artistic direction is completely mine to control rather than following the dictates of an art director.<br>

3. There are commercial clients with smaller budgets than an average wedding client.<br>

4. If you want to get portraits that are full of emotion and humanity this is a perfect opportunity.<br>

There are unattractive things as well. It is physically exhausting. Drunk people can be incredibly rude and disrespectful. People who are not familiar with professional photography have no appreciation for the technical challenges. One photographer on this forum described weddings as herding cats. I think that about sums it up. With all my commercial experience I probably shot 100 weddings before I had the crowd control part down pat. After that, and only after that could I bring my photography up to a level that I could be proud of.<br>

I would caution anyone who thinks it would be a fun way to pay for their toys to think twice. This is hard work and you have to be driven to be visually creative to take satisfaction in it.<br>

</p>

<p>The 6 figures migrated from our studio ~ in the late 90's ---- just a lot of competition out there in our market. Also the new photographers seem to be willing to edit free, for hours, after a shoot. I also believe > many B&G are just not that particular about their final product....especially if they can save some money. Maybe volume is more of importance, these days. <p></p>

<p>My aspirations / art, as a wedddng photographer, started to change with the digital world. As more clients requested digital ....more demands on what was expected with the medium > at my expense. One reason we still offer film at a discount. Until the "new kids' on the block ( & our markets economics ) force me to retire ...I will continue to deliver my experiences/talent for fine coverages.</p>