Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand

andrew_hull

<p>What Craig says.<br>

I lived in Phnom Penh from 1994 till 2000 and return to the region all the time. Not only have I never had a problem, no shooter I know has ever had one either. It's a complete non issue.<br>

The only time I ever heard of film being wrecked was by an infamous scanner at Heathrow in the late 90s. A BBC crew I met at Angkor had shot an entire documentary on film that was wrecked on it's way out of the UK. Doh!<br>

Have a great trip.</p>

<p>I travelled to Vietnam a few years ago, and asked that my film be hand checked. It was no problem. I try to make it easy for the customs officials by removing all the film from their cardboard boxes, and placing them in clear zip-lock bags. I also throw in a roll of 1600 speed, even if I'm not going to use it, so if you get someone who asks what speed it is, you can say 1600.<br>

I travel frequently with film, and 95% of the time I ask for a hand inspection they swap the film canisters and put the pad in the drug detection machine. No big deal, just takes a few extra minutes. I have never had a problem or been treated rudely, in fact, most are very friendly.</p>

<p>I went to Cambodia, and have been through Thailand's airport scanners... oh and Vietnam's scanners with film, and have had no problem. Everything developed fine. You can buy film there. I'm sure now that everyone else (tourists with point and shoots) has changed to digital, there'll be a lot of unsold film available everywhere at probably minimum prices. I've even had film developed there, no prob', though their printing services are ma-and-pa-ish.</p>

<p><em>I went to Cambodia, and have been through Thailand's airport scanners... oh and Vietnam's scanners with film, and have had no problem. Everything developed fine. You can buy film there. I'm sure now that everyone else (tourists with point and shoots) has changed to digital, there'll be a lot of unsold film available everywhere at probably minimum prices. I've even had film developed there, no prob', though their printing services are ma-and-pa-ish.</em><br>

Dont even think about getting film processed in Cambodia as the film handling of some labs can be appalling. I have seen negative film taken of the processing machine and dragged on the floor while being cut, This was in a very professional looking lab. <br /> As for slides; forget it. I don't think you can get E6 processed in Phnom Penh any more!<br>

Neg film is relatively cheap; limited amounts of slide film (usually Fuji) can be bought. If you do decide to buy film go to a shop with high turnover and never buy film from street traders or the sellers at the temples! I do know of at least one pro shop that does sell refrigerated Film in Siem Reap Angkor.<br>

Standards in Thailand are much higher; there are pro labs in Bangkok that will process Slide, Medium Format etc to a high standard.<br>

<em><br /> </em></p>