Day Bag

marcus_andrewes

I have a Think Tank Airport International which is an outstanding bag for world travel (I cheerfully

carried it as hand luggage on a whole series of flights earlier this year weighing 15kg and no one

batted an eye lid!)

I also have a Billingham 335 which is too small (I used for my Leica M kit, which has gone to a

new home now)

What I seek is a bag that will carry (as a minimum)

D3 with 70-200 2.8 VR attached

D3 spare body

24-70 2.8

TC 14

CF cards, odds & sods

Ideally it would carry both lenses attached to both bodies at the same time and have room for

additional lenses up to 300mm in the future, as well as chargers, leads and possibly a 17" laptop

and a change of clothes.

I would like whatever I choose to allow the easy and quick removal of at least one body/lens for

grab shots and not to be too obvious. Like all of us, I search for the Nirvana of bags!

Backpacks are no good - too slow to get the kit out. Even Think Tank's Rotation 360, the

quickest back pack I know, is not really big enough for the intended load.

What I want to do is have a grab bag that I can carry round the streets when travelling that would

enable me to leave the roller case at home on short trips and be a day bag (with the kit travelling

in the roller case) on long trips.

Having looked, the Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650 looks like a possibility but is very large. I

prefer Think Tank to Lowe but TT do not seem to have nything that ticks all the boxes. The

Urban Disguise 60 looks like a great bag but I cannot work out if it will take a D3 with a 70-200

actually attached and ready to shoot.

Domke bags are almost impossible to buy in NZ, so they are not a likely choice. I could get one

from the USA but would be buying "unseen" as they have no dealers here. Crumpler bags are a

bit infantile and trendy.

Anyone else got any wise suggestions?!

I know you said you don't want a backpack but the DynaTran AB-1617A Photo Backpack has two carry handles or you can carry it like luggage or over your shoulder like a duffle bag with the removable padded shoulder strap. The bag is available on the big auction site for almost nothing.

Here is a review I wrote for Amvona (product dealer):

DynaTran AB-1617A Photo Backpack-

I purchased the DynaTran AB-1617A backpack to replace a worn, similarly sized, major brand photo backpack. The DynaTran backpack is superior to the previous product, in my opinion, because it has all of the same features, (including a tucked away rain cover), and many more. Materials, workmanship and engineering are superb. The interior of this bag comes with 22 inserts (more than the competition) which enables me to configure the interior space any way I'd like without running out of inserts. Also included is a tripod boot which supports the legs of your tripod when mounted on the side of the pack. There are top and side rubber grip carry handles and also a removable padded shoulder strap to carry the pack over the shoulder like a duffel. Within the main compartment are 3 zippered clear pockets for filters, lens cleaning supplies, etc. A second large compartment comprising the entire outside front of the pack is large enough for the biggest laptop, raincoat, maps, etc. The outside of the pack has several bungee corded attachment points, and slots that perfectly accommodate the attachment system of accessories made by the manufacture of my previous photo backpack! The pack suspension system is phenomenal. There is actually torso length adjustment feature, super lumbar pad, top stabilizer straps, sternum straps, well padded hip belt, with lower stabilizer straps. The padded shoulder straps have 4 attachment loops along the front for carabiners, a water bottle, or whatever. Though heavy to begin with, (8 lbs configured the way I like it, without the shoulder strap and daypack attached), fully loaded with gear, this pack is very comfortable to wear. Because of the great suspension system design and extra lumbar padding, the weight load is very well distributed. I bid on this bag through the big auction site and got it for less than the, buy it right away price, including cost of shipping to Hawaii, ($60.00 total). The DynaTran AB-1617A backpack is an unbelievable bargain even at the, buy it right away, price. You really can't go wrong with this excellent product.

If you don't like this bag, check out their other products: very good value for the money.

Note:

Amvona would not let me mention the name "Lowepro" as the product I was comparing to their backpack.

I do like the Domke bags and they certainly have a good reputation. They are

extremely hard to find in NZ - if at all - so I would most likely have to buy from the USA

or Australia without seeing the item in question.

The J1 and J2 Domke bags look interesting as well; none of the Domke seem very

weather proof in the lid area though, with no zip etc - anyone had any experience of

that?

Thinktank Photo again; The Urban Disguise 60 will carry all that (although your

shoulder will be sorry at the end of the day as that is a pretty full load.) It certainly

can do the D3 with 70-200mm f/2.8G mounted and you might also squeeze in the

D300 with the 24-70 mm in the main compartment and I say so from from

experience.. There's another compartment just for the laptop and enough front

compartment space for the odds and ends (chargers cables, etc.) The clothes might

have to work as padding in the main compartment . There's a slot compartment for

paper work a small hidden zippered pocket for a passport and many some cash or a

credit card. There's a large pocket in the flap and another zippered compartment

behind the two front pockets. The two front pockets are each large enough to hold a

D300 or D3 body with no lens mounted. great shoulder strap with a wide pad too

There are people who have private 747's.....!!

Actually I have only one D3 at the moment - I am planning ahead! I have a D200 with

grip and an F5 though, both of which are roughly the same size.

My favourite Nikon thing - and my least used - is my 200-400 f4 though! It is the best

for those things it is the best for - but way too big for too much in the way of everyday

opportunities.

This is from the blurb on Think Tank's website:

"A regular size SLR with a lens attached can also be put straight down inside of the

bag."

I'm not too sure why they would design a bag that does not take pro size DSLRs!

Does anyone have the bag to try?

I want to fit a D3 with 70-200 2.8 attached, ideally facing downwards. This is

certainly not a "regular size" DSLR!