high iso performance - nikon d300, canon 50d

black_bishop

<p>im between these two cameras, and i cant decide myself, so, i decided that the one with better results at high isos, will be the one i will buy. Wich one wins here ?<br>

( i know there is a stupid review on the web by dpreview, but come on, images at jpeg, and i dont believe in that site anyway)</p>

<p> </p>

"Due to it's ridiculously high pixel density", 50D it's better than 40D...in terms of sharpness. I own both 50D and D300, and they perform almost similar, regarding high ISO performance . I think the metering system should be your first concern . D300 is far better performer , thanks to the Scene Rec Sys. If you shot RAW, 50D results look sharper, but D300 JPEG's are mutch cleaner , due to the automated CA reduction system.

<p>I have a 40D, very pleased with it. My only gripe with it is the 9 point focus system. Doing high school sports using autofocus there really needs to be a few more points to select from. The EOS-3 focusing was fine, but the 40D is restricting somewhat. Unfortunately, that was not corrected with the 50D. The 50D is a fine camera, but if I were to recommend a model for someone starting with no lenses, I would recommend the 300D.</p>

<p>This does not answer your concerns I know, but that may be a point you may want to consider.</p>

<p>thanks for the answers, im also concerned about wheter or not the 9 points of canon will be ok, my shooting will be mostly for landscapes, nature in general (rivers, falls, all kind of animals, specially birds)<br />I feel more comfortable with Canon, but im tempted to buy the nikon d300, (100 viewfinder,weather sealed, 51 af) but i have heard that the d300 menus are too deep and somewhat more confusing than the canon ones, and also the lens issue, dont know if they (Nikon) have corrected them yet, cause i remember a few years ago, canon lenses where much faster.<br>

<br />i would like to know from you, (specially Paul who owns both) if d300 menus are soo deep and confusing, and if the metering system and other manual functions as Kelvin are so much better in d300 than in 50d.<br />I have never buyed a digital SLR, so, it would be my first one, and dont wanna be dissapointed.</p>

<p>For high iso performance, the Canon 40D/50D and Nikon d300 won't be very much different. But you say the you want a camera for "landscapes, nature in general (rivers, falls, all kind of animals, specially birds)" If that's the case, high iso isn't going to be something you'll need very often! Choose the camera on other grounds, and figure out which lenses you'll get to go along with it.<br>

One lens in particular keeps me close to my Canon 40D: the 17-55/2.8 IS. Optically a terrific lens, with image stabilization built in to enable handholding at much slower shutter speeds than would otherwise be possible. The Nikon equivalent doesn't have VR (Nikon's vibration reduction, different name for same basic idea.)<br>

For landscapes, whatever camera you choose, get yourself a <em>good</em> tripod, ballhead, and quick release system. Take a look at Really Right Stuff for some ideas.</p>

<p>Personally I rate reviews by dpreview or dcresource very highly. If you don't trust those reviews, buy both and compare yourself. That's the only way you can test if you don't believe online reviews. I personally don't trust personally references from other users, they tend to be brand loyal and biased toward what they own.</p>

<p>"I would like to know ... if d300 menus are soo deep and confusing" Not at all ! At the begining (comming from Canon) I don't like'it..., but D300 have a lots of direct access buttons, and it's easy to use . The new HSM Nikon lenses are very fast and the average optical quality surpass Canon (now). I put my 50D on sale...</p>

<p>"The 50D doesn't really improve on the 40D due to it's ridiculously high pixel density."</p>

<p>The 40D is <em>every bit</em> as good at high ISO as the D300 and indeed better as far as I'm concerned, because I know how to process 40D files (primarily I don't convert my RAWs in Lightroom or ACR, which are <em>a guarantee</em> of noise, but use Capture One 4. DPReview's habitual use of ACR is why I can't be doing with their reviews), so a 50D will just as good.</p>

<p>@ Jim Levitt: Jim, I use my 40D pretty much exclusively for bird photography, and I'm up beyond 800 ISO <em>a lot</em> .</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"im also concerned about wheter or not the 9 points of canon will be ok, my shooting will be mostly for landscapes, nature in general (rivers, falls, all kind of animals, specially birds)"</p>

<p>Although they're spread rather thinly, the positioning of the 40D/50D's AF points makes perfect sense for those subjects, being on or about the Golden Ratio.</p>

<p>It's silly to buy a camera system based on current DSLR models. Both Canon and Nikon are excellent systems. Both companies compete intensely, so I'd expect that they'll continue to leap frog one another in features and performance.</p>

<p>I shoot Nikon, my brother-in-law shoots Canon. We're both able to produce nice images. Go figure.</p>

<p>I don't know abut Canon because I am a Nikon shooter. I like the Nikon engineering and feel in my hands. I can make any adjustments needed while holding the camera to the eye. No need to look at menues. I guess it is just getting familiar with the buttons. As a teacher I tell students to chose carefully if they plan to make a living at photogrtaphy. Good glass is very expensive. If they want it for recreational use choose the one that has features they like and feels right for them. Quality wise all the bodies are good.<br>

Dave</p>

<p> </p>

<p>thanks, i also considerer the 5d, but the crop factor will help me to have 580mm for less money, wich i need for birds, i also confirm now there is little difference on noise issues on both cameras, so, i think there are better lenses at canon for what i need, i will buy a 50d, and seeing the 9 focus, i think is ok for me,</p>

<p>Robert budding: your comments are silly and pointless, if you are not gonna help on a thread, just keep your mouth shut</p>

<p>"It's silly to buy a camera system based on current DSLR models."<br>

<br />That's the most stupid thing I have ever heard on here. Going by your logic I may as well go out and buy a new Olympus 4/3rds DSLR knowing that they're way behind Canon and Nikon in terms of image quality and AF... but, hey, that doesn't matter because, in the future, when Olympus are the leaders of the pack like they were in the 70's, I can be assured I have invested in a decent camera system.</p>