New Community Picks series in 2009--add your theme suggestions.

<p>We have completed more than a year of the very successful series of <a href="../editors-picks/">Editors' Picks</a>, highlighting interesting and stunning photography for thematic and subject-based photo articles.</p>

<p>In 2009, we're looking at featuring <strong>Community Picks</strong> , which is built on the concept of the Editors' Picks. Across the site, members will have an opportunity to nominate the best photographs in the Photo.net Gallery for a series of preselected themes (this feature is not added yet, but we'll update you letting you know how the nominating procedure will work). As we’re in the process of selecting the themes for 2009, jump on board and contribute your thoughts. Respond to this thread to <strong>add your suggestions to various themes you would like to see highlighted for the Community Picks in 2009</strong>.</p>

<p>Think about what kind of photography you love on the site, and what would make great thematic or subject-based Community Picks compilations. These could encompass a mood, a type of photography, a color, a season, etc. Feel free to be as creative and out-of-the box as you like.</p>

<p>I know I'll probably get railed for this...but how 'bout the best use of HDR....I know a lot of peeps don't like it 'cause it is overdone and a lot of the images are seriously over cooked... but I think it has its place and if done properly they don't scream "I was HDR'd"...ok let the beatings commence.....</p>

<p>The man and his double: the interaction between men and their images, sculptures, or similar. Two poor examples would be <a href="../photo/5714964">this</a> and <a href="../photo/6116898&size=lg">this</a> photos of mine, but there are tons of them around. Possibly, not even persons confronted with representation of persons, but also with other kind of images: some days ago I came across <a href="../photo/8348725">this photo</a> which can be a good example...</p>

<p>L.</p>

<p>Wouldn't the No words forum be a good place to look. There are so many themes there. Find the ones with the most posted images and you probably have yourself a winner!<br>

Some samples: Doors/Windows, Beauty in the Mundane, Children's Portraits in Natural light, Digital painting, Clouds, Fences, Shadows, Farms, Abandoned, etc...</p>

<p>Trees<br>

Weddings<br>

Monochrome<br>

Abstract - Light and form (no digital)<br>

Digital Art<br>

Still Life<br>

What is this? (Images that take a while to figure out)<br>

Babies<br>

Kitch<br>

Finding the Light (exceptional shots using existing light)<br>

The Bizarre and Unusual<br>

Faces (close ups with mood and expression)<br>

Staircases<br>

Culture<br>

Eyes</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'd like to see some themes based on really well-done Photoshop manipulations--the kind that spook you a little because they're so outre and yet so persuasive. Examples: the hyperrealistic line drawing that turns into a photograph in some hard-to-define fashion, the Uelsmannesque possible impossible composite, colors ramped from monotone to neon saturation in a single image, metamorphoses achieved with Liquefy, and so on.</p>

<p>Sunsets and sunrises are always good themes. Perhaps lighting affects, like candle light to create whatever photo you are going for. Face character could be a theme, you can always find people who seem to have tons of it showing in their eyes or the wrinkles of their face.</p>

<p>Documentary photography<br>

Street photography<br>

Photojournalism<br>

In general, I would like to see a much stronger presence on this site of the three photography styles mentioned above. <br>

IMHO, This site has become overloaded with Photoshop Art. Overprocessed images perhaps taken with the thought that it doesn't matter what happens in the camera, because the image will be "fixed" in photoshop. I'd like to see non-cropped, non-photoshopped images...where the "work" is done IN camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>IMHO, This site has become overloaded with Photoshop Art. Overprocessed images perhaps taken with the thought that it doesn't matter what happens in the camera, because the image will be "fixed" in photoshop. I'd like to see non-cropped, non-photoshopped images...where the "work" is done IN camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I share your desire for more "reportage"-like images here, the theme I suggested above was an attempt to something more specific, but I had imagined it within this same scope (now that I think about it, one can do it in studio as well, but this was not what I wanted to see).But I do second any initiative that could increase the presence of these genres here.</p>

<p>But I would be cautious in taking "photojournalism" or "street" as synonim for un-cropped & un-manipulated. Some amount of both has gone into "street" images since always. Skillful printers have always worked to save tons of poorly exposed negatives of great photojournalists. On the other hand, a typical way of carefully exposing in digital is the ETTR (Expose to the right), which again implies PP as a needed step. Post-processing is one thing, beautification and over-processing is another.</p>

<p>Ciao</p>

<p>L.</p>

<p>It is a nice opportunity and, probably, one of the best things of PN, that is ! to participate and knowing other people ideas. I agree with Luca, we are now seeing too much soft retouch and many people would prefer to see more photo images.<br>

My suggested section would be: <strong>No Retouch</strong> (that is, images as were taken, only modified in size in order to be OK to charge in PN). I know that is people in favour and others could consider it ridiculous in the 21st century, but I am sure we could practise our very primitive resources and see what are the results.<br>

We are here to enjoy and we are here to learn, both, so I am sure we will be satisfied with more ideas and subjects suggested in PN and will test what is the users acceptance. It is very easy to check because we see participation and we read or see opinions (sometimes only in images !).<br>

Ikusi arte. Josemi Gondra.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I see a slight problem for un-cropped un-manipulated, "no Retouch" theme. How would one know if the image is or not?</p>

<p>These ideas are for members to nominate images that they feel best describes the theme. There is no way members could know that or not. And if someone said that their image wasn't retouched or anything, I'm guessing, there will always be other members that will argue that it was. Anyways, it's not a big deal or anything, those were just my thoughts when I read that.</p>

• 1 month later...