Good Goose

shots worth sharing

<p>I never thought the 31 Ltd would make a good bird lens...</p>

<p>Dave, you were looking at Christmas dinner and you never realised it... Doesn't Teriyaki Goose sound delicious? :-D</p>

<p>Oh, and you did the best you could with the crappy light available. Is it me, or was that goose posing for you? ;-)</p>

<p>There are swans, geese, and ducks - all of which come in the species, flying or standing (sitting) or swimming. <br>

I think the species you got was the swimming type - although, if it wasn't in the water for that first shot - it could have been classified as a sitting goose.<br>

It's surprising that you still have birds near you... aren't they all supposed to disappear for the winter? I think the only birds we have left up here, are pidgeons, seagulls, and the occasional 'li'l' bird (of which I call them all chickadees - even though they most likely have other names).</p>

<p>Hmm, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with some of the less-than-helpful (if not downright flippant...) remarks above. It always irks me to see a simple, straightforward, polite request for information treated as an opportunity for others to show off their online "wit"...</p>

<p>Dave, I asked an ornithologist friend of mine to take a look at your pics there, and he says it's a (male) Orange-Ankled Pond Chicken. Goes by the name of Alexander Smithson, apparently, but OK, my friend said it would take a little more time to be absolutely 100% sure with the identification, and then maybe a few days to generate his full credit history.</p>

<p>Probably best not to accept any online payments from him in the meantime, just to be on the safe side.</p>

<p>Cheers.</p>

<p>It's a Greylag, an escaped domestic species (not meaning that yours escaped from the barnyard, but that they're out on their own, breeding away, hanging out with native species and confusing photographers). Originally from Europe.</p>

<p>http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/domgeese.htm </p>

<p>Long-time lurker who finally registered so that I could answer your question--but had to throw in a flippant crack anyway--regards. ;-)<br>

-Julie</p>

<p>Pfft.</p>

<p>"Long-time lurker" eh...? Right... Julie - or should I say, Alexander...? - spare us the amateur-hour CSI routine there and just look at those ankles... Do they look grey to you...? Hmm...? Me neither.</p>

<p>Dave, from here this is really starting to look like a classic waterfowl scam job, TBH. He's obviously just after the 31mm mate... He knows what it's worth, so he just tried to lure you in with a relaxed pose...</p>

<p>Oldest trick in the book.</p>

<p>Rose</p>

<p>Scientists now estimate that as much as 25% of the Canada geese population no longer migrate, but instead are year round residents..</p>

<p>Here in Maryland these year-round formerly migratory ducks and geese are a huge problem, as I suspect that they are elsewhere..</p>

<p>In Ocean City, Maryland, where I lived for several years the feces from these birds covers virtually every square inch of the grass in the parks and playgrounds..</p>

<p>Special measures have to be implemented in order for summer sports teams to utilize the fields..</p>

<p>Those are beautiful shots, Dave!! No surprise the one using the 31mm Ltd looks so good, but you must have gotten quite close! The DA 55-300mm certainly appears to be a very good zoom lens, judging by your results here. </p>

<p>We have geese around here we call Canada geese, but they have longer, green necks. </p>

<p>I'm in Baltimore, Bruce and quite familiar with the Canada Geese and their...um...output. The pond on campus attracts them. Actually, I first encountered this problem when I was working in Charlotte, NC.<br>

As to the lenses, Michael, I have to say I'm quite impressed with the DA! Before I encountered the goose I was shooting around with the 31, then switched to the DA and then, seeing how unafraid the bird was, switched back to the 31 for a shot or two just for the heck of it. </p>