Any one using monorail for landscapes?

upscan

Responding to Björn's comment about how lightweight monorails pack: they are obviously not self-casing like most flatbed field cameras, but with a tapered bellows, they really can be just as compact. With my Gowland, I remove the rail, loosen the knobs, and it packs flat in a knapsack designed for laptop computers, with up to five holders, five lenses, darkcloth, meter, filters, etc. No problem with ultrawide lenses either, but that is less of an issue with 8x10" where "ultrawide" is 120mm, as compared with 4x5".

With the Arca-Swiss F-line, I believe the rail just turns sideways and folds for packing.

I'm not sure how the Toho packs, but I would imagine that one of these two methods makes for a flat package. If one designs a monorail to be compact and light, it shouldn't require an old suitcase-style case where the camera hangs upside down from the rail.

Clifton Car also uses an Arca-Swiss FC camera, as do

I.<P>Consider the Canham DLC 45 camera. It easily handles

lenses down to 58mm without a recessed board (tho a 65mm is

a little more comfortable especially if you are going to have to

use a lotof shit, rise or fall) and out to a 720mm Nikkor T. All of

this without having to change bellows. It is a combination folding

camera (folded it is about 7"x7'x 2.5") with the standards ring on

seperate monorails. the design lets you push both standards to

the front so the bed of the camera doesn't interfere. A terrific

camera for my purposes; very rigid, with a bright and contrasty

groundglass + built in fresnel combination. Whilenot as precise

in feel as the Arca-Swiss or Linhof TK45s cameras it gets the job

done.

I'm still not certain that Julio is actually interested in exchanging his Linhoff Master Tech for a monorail, or other type field camera, but, judging from the huge number of responses and the amount of advice he has received, he sure has to sift through a lot of shit!

Many thanks to all that responded to my query. I did not quite expect so many options would be available.The collective lot of postings is a must read for people considering monorails and flat beds as LF camera options. You will keep me busy studying the various alternatives. Thanks very much again, I am most grateful.

• 5 months later...
I use both a Technika III version 5 and a Kardan Standard monorail for landscape photography. Although the Technika is more compact, I prefer the Kardan Standard for most landscape photography. I built a backpack for it, with the monorail sticking out the back but protected by a fiberglass box (I can provide details of the construction if anyone is interested). The Kardan Standard is lightweight (less thna 5 lb),easy to set up, has all the necessary movements and a rotating back (but only focus is geared), can be used with wide-angle lenses down to at least 75mm with a flat lens board, and is inexpensive (about $500 from Lens and Repro or perhaps $300 on e-bay). The only reason that I use the Technika is when I need to transport the camera in a small case or backpack.