Any one using monorail for landscapes?

upscan

I would like to hear from those that have used monorail and flatbed

bed cameras and the reasons why they shifted to these formats. I use

a master technika 4X5 but I would prefer more flexibility

particularly with wide angle lenses. Am I missing something? Thank

you.

I use both my Tachi which is of course a field camera, and am also increasingly using my Cambo/Calumet SC2/NX. For field use, I fit the bag bellows and a short rail to the Cambo and leave the regular bellows packed in the truck - at least its there if I find I want it for some closeups. Lenses on either camera run the range of 65 to 240 mm. Downside is the Cambo is a bulkier pack than the Tachi, but the camera is more versatile - better GG and I use a dark cloth frame with it which I really like. Its (the Cambo) heavier, tends to work loose on the tripod if I carry the both together, and the gear support pack tends to be more and heavier. I usually take only the lens boards I need and try to preselect the lenses I expect to use as the lens boards are bigger. With the field I can more easily carry more lenses. So-- More than the camera, its a question of mules! Generally, I don't need all the movements of the Cambo, but I do like the GG better.

Julio, Jack Dykinga shows exactly how to use a monorail (Arca Swiss), with wide angle lenses, for landscape photography. His new book "Large Format Nature Photograph", is published by Amphoto. He also uses a flatbed folding camera (Wista), with a backpack, for camping trips. This book can be purchased from the View Camera Magazine book selection. The Arca Swiss F is a monorail that is designed for field use. Has a folding monorail, tapered bellows, and the front and rear standards can be folded flat. When I attempted to do field work with a large,non-folding, studio type monorail, it was an unpleasant experience, to say the least. I've used flatbed folding field cameras since that time, with the widest lens limited to a 75mm.

I use a Gowland 8x10" PocketView for landscapes. I prefer the flexibility and versatility of a monorail, and the Gowland is ultralight and compact for packing into the field. After upgrading a few washers, it is quite rigid. It lacks precision geared movements to keep the weight down, but works quite well once you get the hang of setting the tension in the knobs so that one movement doesn't change something else. Info at www.petergowland.com. Click on "Their Cameras."

Julio,

This is contrary to your question, but you might want to check into Ebony field cameras. I have the SV45U2 and love it; it can do nearly anything that a monorail can do, and is MUCH easier to use in the field. Mine has 590mm bellows extension (handles up to an 800mm tele), is VERY rigid, and can take lenses all the way down to 35mm.

I've used a Cambo 8x10 monorail for landscape a few times. Very cumbersome and tedious to set up and take down, as you would expect. I *vastly* prefer field cameras outdoors.

I've added a brief review of the Ebony on my website (newly updated)...www.dannyburk.com.

Regards,

Danny

In regard to both a camera for wide angle work and to the previous Ebony post, I recently purchased an Ebony 45SU and it is the perfect wide angle camera. I have lenses from 58mm through 305mm and with the universal bellows that comes with the camera I will probably not run out of movement that are truly useful in field or even commercial work including architecture. In the past I have had Linhof Technikas, a late model III, a V and a Master 2000; in particular the later Technika cameras are not wide angle friendly due to the dropbed legs and body of the camera. The nonfolding nature of the Ebony and it's asymmetrical tilts and swings of the back makes quickwork of getting a shot set up.

In defense of the Master Technika 2000, yes it does have the built in wide angle track but getting your fingers in to body to reach the front standard controls is very tricky and the movements available are very limited because of the body. The Ebony has no limitations.

Nearly every 4x5 landscape shot I've ever done (which is a lot by

now) has been shoot with a Linhof Bi Kardan monorail. Solid as

a rock and surprisingly easy to transport, but not exactly the

lightest camera in the world. While I generally prefer the

precision and control of a monorail camera design, there have

been times when the reduced weight and size of a field camera

would have been nice. That said, I'm pretty well convinced that

there really isn't much you can't do with a monorail and quite a

bit that you're better off doing with a monorail than with a field

camera. I think it really just boils down to a difference of working

methods. A monorail just happens to fit the way I think and work

better than a field design does.

<a name="1">I'm pretty new to large format, but I have found that I prefer a field camera for field use, in my case a Tachihara 4x5.</a> That after I learned the basics with a Linhof Kardan Bi, which is reputed to be the Rolls-Royce of LF cameras.<br>

<br>

First, I think that a field camera is easier for <i>me</i> to use, because it's compact. Using movements with the Linhof felt a bit cumbersome - kind of like using a wrench to open a jar. The camera was very strong and rigid, but it also felt to me a bit too big and heavy for use in the field.<br>

<br>

Which leads me to the second point, which is weight. I am finding that the weight of my photo gear has more of an effect on my <i>mind</i> than on my body (I'm 22 years old, and hiking/wading/climbing is still pretty easy for me). If I feel that the weight of the gear is slowing me down and thus is keeping me from making pictures, then I feel frustrated and am reluctant to spend extended periods photographing. If, on the other hand, my gear is light but doesn't meet my needs (not enough potential for movement, not rigid enough, etc. - my 35mm Nikon), then I feel that the whole process isn't worth my time because I can't actually create what I want. I could carry either camera without much actual physical difficulty, but my mind would be distracted.<br>

<br>

I've only been out once with my Tachihara, but I feel quite happy with it. <i>I've found that when I use this camera, my mind feels light and ready to meet photographic challenges.</i> I think that this is a very useful indicator of which camera to use.

Dear Julio

I am fortunate to enjoy using both 4x5 and 8x10 versions of Sinar. From my perspective, I enjoy the ease of focus, range of shift and tilt and the steadiness of the cameras. Sinars are wonderful cameras!! Yes, they are heavy and cumbersome, but there are ways around those problems such as carts and recently some people were writing about using the three wheeled child carriers. I was beginning to think how the food chests with wheels and pulling handles could be adapted.

Regards,

John Bailey

I use an Arca-Swiss, which I find easy to use. I really think it's a matter of preference. For me, it's a matter of weight.

<P>

There is an interesting thread <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003Dsd">HERE</a> where this is discussed.

<P>

Kerry Thalmann, a regular contributor when it was at LUSENET, uses a Toho monorail. It weighs something like 3lb, making it EXTREMELY lightweight. I think weight is definitely something to be considered.

<P>

-Jen

I use an arca-swiss for field work, and it works quite well. The leather bag bellows (not the synthetic bag bellows) is excellent in this regard. It accomodates with plenty of movements lenses from 65mm up through 210mm. I carry the longer bellows for those cases where it's needed, but don't often use it. I especially like the arca for it's oversized bellows that don't crowd the 4x5 format. It breaks down to a fairly compact package, and setup is easy and quick.

With that said, I am somewhat put off it's weight of 7.5 lbs, when many field cameras weigh far less. But for me, the benefits of a monorail offset this trade-off. (e.g. restricted movements for wide-angles, inability to use long lenses, shift/rise/fall on both front and back, etc.)

Hello Julio! I've been exactly there and I switched to a monorail for the difficulty you mention of using wide angles (and long lenses as well) with the Technika. I found no camera that could fit with ease a 47 to a 600mm without special adaptations such as changing bellows and rails or tilting standards, and I finally settled for a Toyo VX-125. In it's normal setting, it can use with the supple universal bellows a 47 or even a 35mm with the recessed Linhof boards adapter, and up to a 300mm. By adding a 40cm piece of rail (which I had to make custom from a basic Toyo rail) and another tripod block, and changing bellows, it can use lenses from 180 to 600mm. The total weight of my set is 4.6Kg with extra bellows, rail, sturdy tripod block, two lensboard adapters for the small Technika boards, and with a Horseman folding binocular viewer. Everything packs really small too. Purchased through Robert White, it did not come too expensive. The best camera to use with the Sinar backs out of Sinars themselves, and the Horseman viewer

mates perfectly with Toyo and is a great help. I would have loved to stay with Swiss technology and pride and use an Arca, but the possibility of mounting a Horseman viewer is what decided me for the Toyo. I'm not saying that it's the best camera, but the more I use it and the more I like it despite the lack of axial tilt which the Arca offers and would have been useful. Coming back to your question, yes, a monorail offers direct, ample and easy movements. The Technika is uneasy with short lenses, but an excellent camera for wanderers when lenses are comprised between 75 and 360mm (shorter is possible, but not that easy). I sometimes miss the practicality and simplicity of packing that camera!

I use my Hasselblad 500s when I can get away with it - usually when I do not need movements. or wish to only carry 10kg.

I use my Hasselblad Flexbody when I need a bit of tilt to get the foreground in focus.

Sinar p with SA 47XL, 90, 150, 240, 360, 480, 600f 9, 600 f6, and 900 f6.3 when I need power, movement or resoloution. I have a Gitzo carbon which should take the Sinar, but I also have a 10kg Manfrotto 161.

I am tempted to buy the 617 back and 57 convertor kit.

This is heavy and bulky - but all execept the 600 f6 goes into the Tamrac rolling studio.

I bought it mostly for architecture and technical.

I rarely use lenses shorter than 250mm for landscape, even on 66.

I use the Bender 4x5 monorail in the field, and have hiked with it in the Pennsylvania hills, Utah desert, and CO mountains. It's light, and the friction focus works well, if you're careful. The downside of it is bulk, since if you leave it on the monorail, it needs a bag roughly 8"x8"x12", if you carry nothing else. For that reason I made sketches based on an old Korona and am making a folding bed for it. I like the movements, and with the bag-bellows I can run from 75mm->135mm (roughly), or with the normal 135mm -> 22"; it just requires a bit of planning on which range I want to be packing that day, since both sets of lenses, and the interchangeable bellows, starts adding up quickly in both bulk and wieght.

I use both an Ebony SV and an Arca Swiss F-Line Metric 4x5. I

love both cameras and use them both for landscapes. I find the

Arca faster to setup, more precise, and you can store a lens in

place.

The Ebony is beautiful, folds very compact, but takes longer to

setup and take down. When I longer, we are talking a minute or

two maybe less.

Depends what you want.

Tough decision, that is why I have both.

Mike

It seems as though a lot people didn't fully grasp what Julio was asking about. There are many good field and monorail cameras out there that can do the job for most general photography, but ones that can do wide angle well without compromise are far fewer. At the risk of offending some members I feel that Linhof Technikardans and certain Ebony models are most suitable for using wide angle lenses with full capability. These cameras can bring the standards very close together and can take a bag bellows for extreme movements. In addition these cameras fold up or close quite compactly which is very handy for the hiking field photographer.

In my case I chose the Ebony 45SU because of it's non folding nature that allows extremely fast setup in the field and given that the wide angles lenses that I use have moderate image circles (90mm/8 Super Angulon and 58mm/5.6 XL Super Angulon) I do not even need the bag bellows.

Please let us help Julio with relevant information so that he may make a good, useful decision about what to many is a major purchase.

Jeffrey, Julio's is asking whether anyone is using a monorail for landscapes. He already owns a Linhof Master Tech. His problem is with the Master Tech's ability to handle wide angle lenses. Perhaps he needs a wide angle stiff-back camera like the non-folding Ebony or a short monorail camera, with a bag bellows to compliment his field camera. Perhaps he will realize that there is no such thing as a perfect camera. Every response to his inquiry is valuable. It's up to him to sift through all of the information and make his own decision.

Eugene,

You are correct in what you say. I have owned or used most of the kinds of view cameras out there and every one is a compromise of some sort. However, in an e-mail to me from Julio I believe I have answered his question to his satisfaction. You're very welcome Julio.

What also matters is you knowledge of photography in general and LF in particular. IMO, most monorails are easier to use than flatbed cameras. This is an important issue for someone who is relatively new to LF. Most monorails that I've used are indeed simpler to manipulate and set than their flatbed counterparts. Most monorails are as quick, or quicker to set up than a flatbed. (Linhof's and its siblings doesn't count here. :-)<br>

But, the obvious disadvantage of most monorails are their sheer bulk and weight, and I'm not talking about a Sinar P2 or other huge studio cameras. Jennifer pointed out the Toho camera, which is really lightweight, but I doubt that it packs down to a folded flatbed in size.<br>

There are some hybrid cameras made by e.g. Ebony which are non-folders, which are trying to combine the best of the two concepts. (Do I hear anyone here saying: "I don't want an Ebony!"???) I really hope to see more inventions in the hybrid area.<br>

I wouldn't mind to have a camera which gave me the precision of a Sinar (and similar high-range monorails) combined with the size and weight of a good flatbed. I havn't found it yet, so my vote goes to a fairly lightweight monorail, as I find it easier to use. That means that I can concentrate on the landscape instead of the camera.<br>

(The reason for me repeating "Sinar" is because I like it, and I've used it extensively. To me it has the same precision as some smaller format german or swedish cameras. But that is my opinion.)

I use a Sinar F all the time. The rear element has just about all the movements I need, especially the shifts. They are great for framing. It weighs as much as some flat beds, Weisners and Zone VI. Packing it into mt Tamrac backpack camer bag takes a little doing. But I fit the camera (disassembled) 4 lenses, film holders, meter, filters, etc and off I go. What is important is not to get too caught up in equipment. You should decide on one camera and use it exclusiively so you can use it intuitively, second nature, so to concentrate on taking pictures.