Need Help! Buying Mamiya Medium Format Film Camera

jordan_wood

<p>Hey,<br /> So, someone is selling two Mamiya camera's. And I've never bought a medium format camera before nor have i even used one. But I'm taking photography classes and I'm really enjoying 35mm film. <br /> I wanted to know if the price is reasonable and is it worth buying. Both camera's are in good working condition.<br>

<br /> The first is a Mamiya Medium Format RB67 pro with 65mm f4.5 lens + waist level viewfinder+ polaroid back + 120 back. - $200<br>

<br /> The second is a Mamiya Medium Format 645 1000s with 80mm f2.8 lens + metered prism viewfinder. - $200<br>

<br /> I'm suppose to check them out tomorrow. So, any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.<br>

<br /> Jordan</p>

<p>Both sound like good values. Very different cameras. The RB67 is a beast, heavy and bulky, better suited to the studio. And the lens is closer to a wide angle on that format. Depends on what you plan to use the camera for. The Polaroid back will be of limited use since Polaroid film is disappearing.</p>

<p>The 645 may be handier for general use. It's a smaller format, still enough larger than 35mm to be significantly better for scanning or printing where critical detail is essential.</p>

<p>Enlargers are readily available for both formats. If scanning the 6x7 format may offer a slight advantage with flatbed scanners.</p>

<p>You can check the prices for these cameras at <a title="KEH" href="http://www.keh.com" title="KEH">http://www.keh.com</a> . They are the best used camera store in the U.S., and they have to charge buyers for the possibility of malfunctions, returns, etc. It will give you an idea of what someone who will stand behind their products charges. Look at the prices of what you would be getting, and also of what you might want later on for those cameras. For example, with the RB67 and 65mm lens, will you want something other than a wide angle sometime?</p>

<p>Also, if you are shooting 35mm, unless you are already planning to always use the RB67 on a tripod, make sure you hold it in your hands for a while before you buy it. You might find it a little heavy.</p>

<p>The weight of the RB67 is not as bad as people say, at least for me, and I'm not a huge guy. I carried it around Chicago for a day carrying and using it without a strap. My forearms hurt afterwards, but I need to work out as much as possible. I recently got a strap for it, and it makes it much easier to handhold. I would even go as far as to say that it is a breeze. I use mine with the chimney metered prism, which adds another pound or so to it. What I would recommend is go try both. See how they feel in your hands, and go from there. If you get the RB67, get a strap.</p><div>00Rmi4-97301584.jpg.a510d8ad3bd26a948dd125463b047946.jpg</div>

<p>Hi, Jordan!</p>

<p>Wow, $200 for an RB67 kit like that is a great deal, as long as the camera is not too battered or anything. Of course, RB67s are pretty tough beasts--they can take a beating and keep right on firing.</p>

<p>They are heavy, but with a good strap (go to Amazon and look for the $19.95 Op-Tech strap for the RB67) and with an L-grip (very cheap, I'm sure, at keh.com), it will probably handle without too much discomfort. I use mine hand-held quite often.</p>

<p>You can always add lenses later as you need them. Keh.com is indeed about the best, cheapest and most reliable online source of Mamiya gear.</p>

<p>And while, as Lex said, Polaroid is not making instant film anymore, Fuji still makes color and black & white film for Mamiya Polaroid backs. I use it all the time, and you can quite often find good deals on expired film on eBay.</p>

<p>The quality from the RB67 is indeed wicked good. If you got the 200 bucks, grab you one of the two cameras on offer--if you've got $400 lying around, get both of 'em! That way you can decide which one you like best, and you can turn around (if you want) and sell the other for as much or more than you got it for.</p>

<p>Lex - your right. that is a little off topic. but i feel that it was very important to make this a well rounded thread.<br /> Bernard Millar - Thanks for the tips on where to look. I'll definitely check it out to get a strap. I looked at the camera's today. but i didnt have any money cause i lost my debit card. heh.. so, i'm going by on Monday to pick it up. but both of them are in very good condition and the lenses look very clean.<br /> so i decided im for sure going to get the RB67. and if i can scrounge up enough green to buy both i will be undeniably happy. (side note - thats a lie. greed will never make you happy.)<br /> therefore i will be very appreciative.</p>

<p>With my RZ67 and a waist level finder, I use mine for street photography all the time. Well, not all the time, but have carried it around a bit. I usually have a metered prism on it but it's great for everyday photography with a WLF and the negative is HUGE.<br>

120 and 220 film are always the same length, respectively, regardless of camera. It's just how many frames you can fit on that roll. So 120 film can hold 10 6x7 frames, and 15-16 645 ones. Or 12 6x6 ones. <br>

So if money is that tight, then the 645 will give you more frames per roll and save you money to that end. But the negative is a lot smaller than 6x7.</p>

<p>Jordan, you can check out ballpark film prices at <a href="http://www.freestylephoto.biz/">this website</a>. The prices at local stores and other websites should be about the same. I know how you feel about money, as I am also in school right now and don't have much money. I shoot traditional B&W and process (I will be printing soon) the photos by myself. This cuts down cost quite a bit.</p>

<p>Jordan,<br>

I used the RB67 for many years as a full time professional commercial, fashion photographer and I can say that it's a great piece of equipment. I personally like a heavy camera and never had problems hand holding the RB. The shutter is so smooth you can barely feel it go off. It makes me laugh when people talk about he weight of a camera especially 35mm. Have you ever seen the old newspaper photographers carrying around the speed graphix and other 4 x 5 format cameras with the 5 pound flashes, bulbs, film holders etc. etc.? They don't know what heavy is. If you want a great camera, in a larger than medium format the RB is a great choice. The other thing to consider is the RB is an in lens shutter where the 645 is a focal plane making it louder and locking you in to sync speeds with flash. 645 format is a cropped 2 1/4 square. The RB gives you much more negative size.</p>

<p>J</p>